Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dog anxiety

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
I know I always post about dogs but I don't know of a pet parent site(if you know one let me know) anyways, my dog has such anxiety when I leave. If I'm home and in a room with the door closed like the bathroom he whines and pees on the door when I come out he follows me all around.... I just went in the basement to do laundry and came up to pee on the stairs. Why is my 90lb dog such a chicken lol
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
G.Ruiz22
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Probably left its momma too soon
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Take it to the vet first for a health checkup. Ask about anxiety meds. Get a trainer to work with you. :)

nyxiemist
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:19 PM

What breed is it? You should talk to a trainer about it. They may be able to help you find wasy to ease the anxiety.

Aeonix
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Dogster is a great resource for dog owners. There's a catster too. As for the anxiety, it's something that usually can be reversed but it takes a lot of time and patience. Sometimes medication can help, or there are some at home products that work by putting pheromones into the air which calm the dog. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Pit bull

Quoting nyxiemist:

What breed is it? You should talk to a trainer about it. They may be able to help you find wasy to ease the anxiety.

Kes1s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Because you've rewarded him for acting like a chicken. We use the Ceasar Millan method mixed with the NILF (Nothing In Life Is Free) methods in dog training for our dog.

When you get home and he's acting like a spaz greeting you, if you give attention, you just told him he was good for acting like a spaz. 

Instead give a sit command,  go about your business completely ignoring the dog until he settles, and then greet him and reward him for greeting you properly.  Waiting until you have settled yourself and come to him on YOUR terms.

When you let your dog set the terms you are telling him that he is in charge and that he gets to decide how to greet you.  He's not going to do it your way.

The peeing and the like also leans towards dominant behavior.  A well adjusted dog sees you as the pack leader and when you leave, settles in and waits for you to come back and goes about his business till you return and waits to be given instructions.

This kind of behavior will escalate with chewing things if your dog thinks you've been away too long, or marking.  Gross.

Leash training is key as well.  This is an easy place to start asserting your leadership and training your dog to follow your commands NO MATTER HOW ENTHUSIASTIC HE IS about seeing you again.

Whining is also an attention seeking behavior.  Yelling and saying no is still attention.  Instead whining (if it is not a hungry/wet/cold thing) should be answered by physically moving away from the dog.  Making a visible, physical gesture that shows you are not going to engage with your dog because he has told you he's just going to get louder and more annoying if you don't.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM
That is great advice!! Thank you

Quoting Kes1s:

Because you've rewarded him for acting like a chicken. We use the Ceasar Millan method mixed with the NILF (Nothing In Life Is Free) methods in dog training for our dog.

When you get home and he's acting like a spaz greeting you, if you give attention, you just told him he was good for acting like a spaz. 

Instead give a sit command,  go about your business completely ignoring the dog until he settles, and then greet him and reward him for greeting you properly.  Waiting until you have settled yourself and come to him on YOUR terms.

When you let your dog set the terms you are telling him that he is in charge and that he gets to decide how to greet you.  He's not going to do it your way.

The peeing and the like also leans towards dominant behavior.  A well adjusted dog sees you as the pack leader and when you leave, settles in and waits for you to come back and goes about his business till you return and waits to be given instructions.

This kind of behavior will escalate with chewing things if your dog thinks you've been away too long, or marking.  Gross.

Leash training is key as well.  This is an easy place to start asserting your leadership and training your dog to follow your commands NO MATTER HOW ENTHUSIASTIC HE IS about seeing you again.

Whining is also an attention seeking behavior.  Yelling and saying no is still attention.  Instead whining (if it is not a hungry/wet/cold thing) should be answered by physically moving away from the dog.  Making a visible, physical gesture that shows you are not going to engage with your dog because he has told you he's just going to get louder and more annoying if you don't.

nyxiemist
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:28 PM

If you scroll down a little bit there is some information on how to help manage separation anxiety. Poor puppy. Hope this helps some.

http://www.pitbull-chat.com/showthread.php?5280-Separation-Anxiety

Quoting Anonymous:

Pit bull

Quoting nyxiemist:

Kes1s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM

ohhhhhh GOODNESS.

My dogs a pit as well.  GET ON IT.  Bullys will try to decide how to run you if you don't run them.  You have to have a strong and consistent training plan in place, because they were dogs with a mission, "game" in a bully is the ability to keep coming back to the same thought/intention regardless of how many times it takes to get the job done.

Especially if your dog is under two.  Males don't develop their full spectrum of bully tendencies till just shy of two years, where even the best bully will become somewhat animal aggressive under some circumstances.  Especially if they are unsocialized.

They need more exercise than many breeds to make them the good family dogs they have the ability to be.  An hour of being worked a day or more is ideal.  At the very least 45 minutes.  A tired bully is a happy bully.

If whining or any other undesirable behavior is resulting in the dog getting what they want, pits will run with it. 

They are AWESOME AMAZING INTELLIGENT dogs, but they need to know their place firmly to avoid behavior problems.

Quoting Anonymous:

Pit bull

Quoting nyxiemist:

Kes1s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM

My bullys a whiny bitch too.  Daddy wont make him hold a FIRM stay before greeting so we have that whip tail making his back end wiggle all across the floor and he'll try to dance.

I'm not having it.  If he greets someone elses kid overly enthusiastically and the parent is scared of the "bad breeds" you'll have a freaking out parent beating up your dog because they don't know anything about the breed and think their kid was being attacked.

As bully owners, we have to be double on point. 

Also, educate yourself about dog fighting, because it will help you to understand the specific habits of the breed, why it is safe to break up a dog fight if they dogs are pittbulls, and why certain techniques work with bullys but would be really dangerous for you if you tried it on a lab or a dog that wasn't bred to be handled while it was aroused.

http://www.game-bred.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured