Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I think less dogs would end up in shelters if....

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 35 Replies
2 moms liked this
Training wasnt so expensive!!! We luckily had a personal friend that is a trainer but I think a lot of people think its no big deal they can do it on their own then when the dog doesn't listen they get rid of it. And better bred education, people buy the cute chow they always loved that wrinkly dog in the laundry commercials and then find out they have serious "attitude problems" or how hyper a lab can be. I don't know that's just my thoughts for the day
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:24 PM
Bump
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Eh, our dogs went through training and still wouldn't train. Sometimes it's just the dogs.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Agree. You can't just get a fog because he's cute. You need to know the breed and make sure its a good fit for your family. We just got a siberian retriever. He's a husky lab mix, we git him from the humane society. He's super smart, but a little husky stubborn. He's a great dog though.
LilliesValley
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Not saying this is the case with you but sometimes its the owner too. We've had one other dog that died recently, he was super smart and we have a mut who was from a puppy mill, she's dumber than s box of rocks, but we trained all of them ourselves. It's a shit ton of work, but well worth the effort. Part of it is the dog though.

Quoting wkukid:

Eh, our dogs went through training and still wouldn't train. Sometimes it's just the dogs.

Kes1s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We did our own training.  We have a pit and he's on point.  I flat out would not have an unreliable animal around my daughter.  We used the Ceasar Milan and NILF methods.  It's not recket science, but you have to learn that you can't treat a dog like a human without reenforcing all the behaviors you DONT want to see.

I think the smaller 'toy' breeds are more of a problem because people think that a small dog = a cat and tolerate terrible behaviors like barking, jumping and widdling as well as being snippy and defensive because they feel their dog is too small to do any real damage.

and then the fight started.

With larger dogs, you have to know what you're getting into ahead of time.  If my pit barked or jumped I would have some anti-pit person have a terror freak out fest because my dog "attacked" them, even if he was just trying to lick the ice cream off their face.

I would never have a sharpei or a chow.    Same with the smaller terrier breeds.  They aren't breeds that do well with kids, they're nippy snippy and bitey and have all the personality traits of a pissed off raccoon when they decide not to listen to you.  I could reach my arm directly into my pits mouth and grab his tongue when he's barking at a dog passing our yard and I wouldn't worry a bit.

I would never try something like that with a lab or german shepherd.

Choosing your pet for your lifestyle is key.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM

We did everything we were told to do, they refused to potty train. Destroyed 2 grand in carpet. They fought regardless of how they were punished/positive reinforcement. They barked constantly all day. We sent them through obedience school, took advice from vets and the humane society. In the end it was unclean and unsafe for children so they went to a shelter. We made sure it was a rescue center and they were adopted out within a week. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

Not saying this is the case with you but sometimes its the owner too. We've had one other dog that died recently, he was super smart and we have a mut who was from a puppy mill, she's dumber than s box of rocks, but we trained all of them ourselves. It's a shit ton of work, but well worth the effort. Part of it is the dog though.

Quoting wkukid:

Kitschy
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I agree

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I've owned 12 dogs in my life, all from different breeds/sizes/temperaments, and none have ever had any training and all were just fine.  They behaved just like their breed was supposed to... except Bozo.  He was the world's weirdest and best dog.

Unless you're talking about Owner Training.  Yeah.  That should be required before they're allowed to have a dog.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Like I said not always the case but some people do give up to easily. I'm glad you made sure they found a home!

Quoting wkukid:

We did everything we were told to do, they refused to potty train. Destroyed 2 grand in carpet. They fought regardless of how they were punished/positive reinforcement. They barked constantly all day. We sent them through obedience school, took advice from vets and the humane society. In the end it was unclean and unsafe for children so they went to a shelter. We made sure it was a rescue center and they were adopted out within a week. 

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting wkukid:

anotherhalf
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

If people educated themselves about dogs, started spaying/neutering, stopped becoming backyard breeders, and stopped running puppy mills we'd have a lot less dogs in the pound.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN