Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i just got denied unemployment AND snap. fml

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Today is my first day out of the military and i haven't been able to find a job yet. My dh is also in, so we're surviving on just his base pay for a family of 5.
Why is it that my loser exdh can get unemployment for the majority of 4 years on and off, but i serve my country for 4 years and i get denied while I'm ACTUALLY looking for work? Why is it that everyone else qualifies in the army for foodstamps, but the only time i actually need them, i get shut down?! Why OS out so easy for people to abuse the system, but when someone needs them, they can't get the help they need?
/vent
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM
I have no idea. I've never had to ask for help before.

Quoting Junesmommy18:

Sorry. Can't you get a hearing for that or something?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Because all the deadbeats who are actually working the system already beat you to it.  Be mad at the POS abusers. 

angie944
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Do you have a local workforce center you can go to? I know here in Texas there are people that help just us veterans find work, and put them before anyone else in the stack. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM
His base pay is right around 2k. His bas is $352/mo
When i did the calculator, it said we weren't entitled to anything. Technically, we're a family of 4, for another two weeks.

Quoting Anonymous:

So your DH's income is over the limit for FS ? ( for a family of 5 )

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Idk. But just wanted to let you know, I heard on the news Walmart would be hiring all honorably discharged vets sometime soon? Mentioned something about labor day (either until then or starting then, I don't remember). I know it's not the best, but it sounded guaranteed for vets and in a pinch, any bit helps...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

http://www.vamortgagecenter.com/blog/2012/05/09/why-are-so-many-military-families-on-food-stamps/

I love that article.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM
What kind of discharge? We have never had an issue living on just the husbands pay. When I got out it was a big difference and adjustment but we made it work.
Diatech12
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM

dh had a lot of trouble getting ahold of anyone on the phone until he called very first thing in the morning. The people at the office here could not help him. If its saying you have "exausted" all of your benifits its because you have to fax part of your separation papers. If you were discharged  for dishonerable then you will not get benifits. It took 3wks for dh to get it all straight. They will not go by your pay grade, they will go by your rank so dont expect ui benifits to be the percent of what you were actually making.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have no idea. I have been trying to call them all morning since i got denied online and i stay on hold for a half hour, then it dumps my call. it just told me i didn't qualify and gave me the number to call. I'm just going to their office tomorrow after i drop ds off at school. I'm so frustrated.

Quoting Diatech12:

why didnt you qualify. Dh thought he didnt at first but you HAVE to send in your dd-214 even though they state it as an "option" on the website.

oh and we dont qualify for ANY sort of pa either. 

what rank is your dh, we survived just fine on his pay at a low rank.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I dont know but I think the system is messed up. I see people who get hundreds of dollars in fs and they are able to take their kids on trips and go to theme parks go buy nice clothes all the time for them self and their kids. I dont get how they do it and yet when someone truly needs help they get very little or none at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

$2352 per month ? 

Quoting Anonymous:

His base pay is right around 2k. His bas is $352/mo
When i did the calculator, it said we weren't entitled to anything. Technically, we're a family of 4, for another two weeks.

Quoting Anonymous:

So your DH's income is over the limit for FS ? ( for a family of 5 )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)