Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i just got denied unemployment AND snap. fml

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Today is my first day out of the military and i haven't been able to find a job yet. My dh is also in, so we're surviving on just his base pay for a family of 5.
Why is it that my loser exdh can get unemployment for the majority of 4 years on and off, but i serve my country for 4 years and i get denied while I'm ACTUALLY looking for work? Why is it that everyone else qualifies in the army for foodstamps, but the only time i actually need them, i get shut down?! Why OS out so easy for people to abuse the system, but when someone needs them, they can't get the help they need?
/vent
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
Exactly, that pay should more than cover necessities.

Quoting Anonymous:

She asked if they have cut back to lower their bills for phone , cable , cars and food. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you under the impression that cars, food, cable and phones are free for the military?

Quoting Anonymous:

Then good gosh, if you live on base you should have no problem making ends meet. Housing and insurance is covered. Cars, food, cable, phones? Have you cut back?

Quoting Anonymous:

My contract ended. If you ets, you're allowed unemployment. Everyone else i know who got out is entitled to it.

I know how military pay works, that was my mos. We don't get bah because we live on post,.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

It goes by his rank for 1 if you were discharged by your choosing then you wouldn't qualify to begin with. You get money to live off base and ay nothing on it. So pretty much your car bills and so forth they don't count as bills going out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Military members get paid pretty well provided they live within their means. The only people I've seen qualify for PA have a lot of children while their lower rank or come in with a lot of debt and kids.

Quoting areles:

i think the better question here is why do our military members get paid so little they have to apply for public assistance in the first place?

though i guess it's all tax dollars... but still.

bellaamore
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

They base it off your inome the last month. If youve had a decent income for more than that long, youappear to not need it.

Also, your husband may make too much toqualify if you live on base as they allow housing allowances and uch. You may have too much left over after your basic necessities are paid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Finance messed up his pay from when we got married. He only gets about $700/month until they can fix it.

Quoting Anonymous:

After BAH, BAS and base pay, why the heck would you need PA?!?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM
Been there done that, we got $200 paychecks for months after moving once. It was awful. Thank goodness we had a cushion.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honorable ets.

His pay is messed up right now from when we got married and they messed up our bah, so we're living off of $700/month until they can fix it

And they've been trying to fix it for 5 months lmao

Ugh.

Quoting Anonymous:

What kind of discharge? We have never had an issue living on just the husbands pay. When I got out it was a big difference and adjustment but we made it work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
This is NOT true! My xdh was in the navy for 5 years. He chose not to re-enlist when his contract ended. We got back to our home state and he applied for unemployment. He was approved right away and received the maximum weekly amount until he found a job here.

Quoting mommamaggi:

The reason is because people have to unemployed at no fault of their own (fired or laid off), technically, it is your fault you are unemployed because you could have chosen to reenlist and you didn't. This has nothing to do with Obama either, it's always been that way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this
So you ets without a plan? Without any savings?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Finance messed up his pay from when we got married. He only gets about $700/month until they can fix it.

Quoting Anonymous:

After BAH, BAS and base pay, why the heck would you need PA?!?

Then  annoy them daily until they fix it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Of course! I don't even have internet. I had to go to the library to apply for everything. My dh's pay is messed up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then good gosh, if you live on base you should have no problem making ends meet. Housing and insurance is covered. Cars, food, cable, phones? Have you cut back?

Quoting Anonymous:

My contract ended. If you ets, you're allowed unemployment. Everyone else i know who got out is entitled to it.

I know how military pay works, that was my mos. We don't get bah because we live on post,.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

It goes by his rank for 1 if you were discharged by your choosing then you wouldn't qualify to begin with. You get money to live off base and ay nothing on it. So pretty much your car bills and so forth they don't count as bills going out.

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Why on earth were you declined ?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)