Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Baby Proof or just teach them NO!!!! *** Update ****

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM
  • 113 Replies
3 moms liked this

Back when I was raising my kids (baby to toddler) baby proofing was realatively new - we had the self install kits and all but nothing like they do today.  I chose not to put all that crap on my house and managed to have no poisonings, things going down drains they shouldn't.... etc..... I do recall sitting with each of them at some point and smacking (just enough to get their attention - no lingering marks or abuse here) their hand and telling them NO when they tried to put a penny in a light socket or something of this nature.... it didn't take much before they understood no meant no.....  so in your house - what did you do? 

****  So what have we learned here?  NO Baby Proofing crap for baby shower gifts LOL *****

SterlingHeart

"these ramblings courtesy of a mom over 40"

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SterlingHeart
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

BUMP!

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

We did both. I ran a home daycare so I needed it to be safe.for all the kids. Mine were taught dont touch.

Love060708kids
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

When we had our first child, we baby proofed things...now that we have four of them, we just teach them no. LOL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
I just taught no. They got it and no one is dead or been seriously injured. Think I'm doing ok :)
SterlingHeart
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

yeah with a daycare aren't their rules you have to follow to get approved to have that in your home???  

once they were older we identified more as to why it was no - but at that early age - NO was enough LOL 

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

We did both. I ran a home daycare so I needed it to be safe.for all the kids. Mine were taught dont touch.

SterlingHeart

"these ramblings courtesy of a mom over 40"

boo1985
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
This exactly!!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
428pm
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I didnt bother with child proofing, I never owned a baby gate.  I did at one point make the kitchen off limits.  That was more for my safety.

I stepped in the bed of a dump truck and fell on my back knocking the ind out of me.  MY son jumped on my chest before I could catch my breath and started jumping up and down on me saying "do again mama!"  

I just told him, no more kitchen for you!

JMCorbin84
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Same thing, we lived in on post housing & weren't allowed to drill holes into walls, cupboards, etc so a lot of baby proofing items weren't possible. Most of our electrical outlets were covered by furniture so they were never messed with but when dd was old enuf to crawl I showed her she wasn't allowed to open the cupboards or play w/ the toilet & an occasional swat to a wandering curious hand was all it took to remind her of the rules.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I covered the light sockets because that's incredibly dangerous... But I didn't baby proof anything else. I taught him not to touch or mess with certain things. I didn't smack him or anything... Just redirected while explaining why it was a no no. Worked fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SterlingHeart
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister in law baby proofed (she did it all by the damn book LOL) anyway they still have all this crap on the drawers and cupboards etc.... um her daughter is 12 years old ----  why why why????? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN