Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Diet and Exercise is Not Enough, Why?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies

************NOT A BASH POST***************************

So I have noticed many people who struggle with weight loss making the remark that diet and exercise is not enough....that even though they do everything right...they still don't shed a pound.

I am not asking about people with an obvious medical condition, or those who are a taking prescription that has an adverse side effect regarding weight gain or loss. That is a different category of people, their experiences are not applicable to what I am referencing.

What I am curious about is if anyone has any actual experience regarding this? Do you believe this has happened to you? Why?

I am coming from a place where I have worked pretty hard (admittedly more mental than physical anguish! Spent more time thinking about my weight than doing something about it) for the last few months to only shed a bit over 10lbs, still have plenty to lose. I personally know I could have done more and lost it more quickly...and as much as I want to say I did everything I could - I didn't.  It wasn't the fact that exercise and diet weren't enough to help me lose the weight, it was the fact that I made bad choices and lacked enough motivation to exercise with as much intensity as I relaxed :D

Anyway I am just trying to understand the comment that exercise and diet are not enough to help a person lose weight...what is your mentality? Why isn't it enough, what's lacking?

Is it really the exercise/dieting that isn't working, or is it something else.... the willpower, time restraints, etc? What is your reason why dieting and exercise are not enough to help you lose weight? What alternative might you consider?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
It works. You dont need a supplement or anything to lose weight. I have so far lost about 5 lbs with just switching my diet and exercising more. People who havent lost anything have to look and see what could be the reason they arent losing weight.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

BUMP!

katarina666
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Sounds like you need a doctor who specializes in endoctrin problems .You could Have PECO"s Thyroid issues ,Hormonal issues.It sucks being a woman and over weight. And the older you get the worse it gets.Good luck.

La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I have to say that I never thought I would get back down to 120 pounds. I am 5'2" and it had been many years and three children. I was anywhere between 130-135 and was exercising regularly, running 6 miles three times a week plus strenght training, and eating right, but still not able to drop below the 130 mark. I ended up finding a program that I absolutely loved, and it was freaking TOUGH! I exercised 6 days a week, doing high intensity interval training and strenght workouts. I was amazed to see my luv handles disappear and my waist whittle down. I became a strong, healthy, toned 120 pound woman in about 4 months time. I couldn't believe it.

I came to realize that it takes the RIGHT exercise and diet to help me reach my goal. By diet I just mean the types of foods I chose to eat. My body needs interval and weight training to burn fat. Most bodies burn fat most quickly that way. Muscle burns fat! You must do resistance training! Also, high intensity interval training speeds up your metabolism so you burn more calories even when you are resting.

My lesson learned is now I know that it is possible, but it is not easy or even moderate. I would be gasping and feel like I was going to die, sucking wind during the high intervals, but also having fun. I now know what it takes for me to meet my goals in fitness. I thought I was doing what I needed to do to achieve them before, but I wasn't doing the right things.
La_Vie_en_R0se
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Also I highly recommend using my fitnesspal or some other calorie counter. I just now started using one and I can't believe how many calories I consume without even realizing it!
chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I think diet and exercise is enough.  The problem that many women don't realize is that diet is more important.  But exercise is necessary too.  And 30 min 3 times a week is NOT enough.  Nor is walking.  Not even walking 5 miles a day.  It just doesn't increase your heart rate enough.  You need to get an hour (or more!) of aerobic exercise every day to lose weight.  Then, you have to be extremely diligent in cutting calories.  A good guide is to ONLY eat when you are absolutely hungry.  Stomach pains telling you your stomach is empty.  Then, only eat until 1/2 full.  Do not eat again until fully hungry.  If you do this, you will lose weight.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
It is enough. Those are just excuses that people make when they are excusing their own obesity
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry but telling someone to ONLY eat when you are hungry is counterproductive.  Once you are that hungry, your body automatically goes into starvation mode and actually holds on to fat to prepare.  So, you are actually training your body to retain more fat BECAUSE you are essentially starving it and screwing with your sugar levels. 

Quoting chalisa0:

I think diet and exercise is enough.  The problem that many women don't realize is that diet is more important.  But exercise is necessary too.  And 30 min 3 times a week is NOT enough.  Nor is walking.  Not even walking 5 miles a day.  It just doesn't increase your heart rate enough.  You need to get an hour (or more!) of aerobic exercise every day to lose weight.  Then, you have to be extremely diligent in cutting calories.  A good guide is to ONLY eat when you are absolutely hungry.  Stomach pains telling you your stomach is empty.  Then, only eat until 1/2 full.  Do not eat again until fully hungry.  If you do this, you will lose weight.  

SadeAyosmom
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

not for me. when i diet and excercise right the weight comes off

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM
You don't need an hour or more if exercise a day and you cando it with interval walks if you want.

Quoting chalisa0:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN