Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would this upset you? *Added*

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you be upset by the scenario written below?

Options:

Yes

No

Other (because there always is, isn't there?)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 196

View Results

You are having your second baby. This time around, you are having a boy (first child was a girl). So, you labour and give birth, then send your DH to call the close family and friends. He does this. Suddenly, your phone is dinging texts of congratulations from FaceBook. You check FB and notice that your Mother has posted about the birth of your son, his name, his weight and height measurements, and his time of birth... before you were even moved to the ward rooms... before you even had a chance to post it yourself. You had no reason to suspect that she would because she didn't do this with your daughter. Would that make you upset?

Added:

I'm no longer upset over this but I do still hold the same feelings about the situation. I just wanted to see how other people would feel, given the same situation. We hadn't told anyone about the sex of our baby, or what the name was going to be. My mother had a lot of my friends on her FB because she either liked to keep tabs on me or wanted to be the "cool" mom that is besties with her daughter. I wasn't traumatized or exhausted or too busy after the birth to post for myself, either. It was my news to share. He was my baby. That was something that I would have liked to have done, as the parent. Yes, she was excited, I suppose, but why not say, "Yay! Baby arrived!"? I mean, she hadn't even seen him yet and she posted all of his stats.

Doesn't matter:) I am over it, I just wanted to see how others would feel on the matter and explain, maybe, why I felt the way I did.

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
We didn't even tell our parents until we had been home for two days, he is our first and only and we wanted to enjoy him by ourselves before family stampeded our home lol, but we didn't care when they did post to FB or Twitter because we got to enjoy him first.
EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be a bit miffed that she posted before me, sure. She could have at least asked.

Acid
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Point out exactly where, in my post, did I say I didn't care.

I won't wait because I didn't say it.  I said PEOPLE get their tightie whities in a knot over dumb shit. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why can't she show she's a proud grandma after the mother of the baby makes the official announcement? It's called respect. Once again, another mom on here saying the OP's feelings are stupid just because they wouldn't be upset. If you wouldn't care then fine, but don't tell another mom that it's stupid for them to care just because you don't!

Quoting Acid:

Heaven Forbid she be proud and happy to be a Grandma.

Be happy your children have involved Grandparents.

Holy Shit people get their tightie whities in knots over the dumbest, stupidest, shit.

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I say no...but I don't do fb so maybe I don't count lol.  My dh told my best friend about my labor & delivery & I was bumbed out.

PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Mom stepped W-A-Y over the line there.  I'd be pissed.

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with it... 

Oostera
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

That would make me a little more than irritated. Did she do it unintentionally or did she know how you would feel and did it anyway? I guess what I am asking is, is she usually a nice person?

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

Yup, she posted them to facebook before I was even out of recovery, along with "Look at my new baby!"

Quoting Oostera:

Aw, I'm so sorry:( That would just tear me up.

Quoting EvilQueenMommy:

I'd be upset, I had an emergency c-section and when I saw pics the next day of my mil holding my son (before I even got to hold him) I cried

tifbrown
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

People put waaaaay too much stock into their online lives. She was excited and wanted to share the news, nothing to be upset about.

mydarlingsofia
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

If the sex and name was a surprise then yes I would have been upset. If everyone knew I wouldnt care.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe people would understand better if it had been your mother publishing a birth announcement with all of those details in the local paper. It's essentially the same thing. The point is that it wasn't her news to break. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)