Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The myth of ADHD

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
  • 34 Replies

What do you think of the video talking about the myth of adhd? I watched this video in my mental health class and I was wondering what you all thought of it. First of all I do think there is such thing as ADHD. I've worked with people who have it. I also do think its over diagnosed and or perscribed. Only because back before schools when we all worked on the fields there was no such thing as ADHD because they had a way to get the energy out. I'm a big believer that the school system should change not the child being medicated (However I do believe medication works wonders at the right time in the right place)

Anywhere here is the video. I may not agree with everything but I like the way he explains it.

Thoughts?

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM

He is a psychiatrist by the way!

samanthastaatss
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree that ADHD is not a disease. If we recognize that it’s not a disease and it’s not genetic, but it’s a problem of brain development. Knowing the good news, fortunately that the brain can develop new circuits even later on in life then the question becomes not of how to regulate and control symptoms, but how do you promote development? I think that has to do with providing kids with the kind of environment and nurturing that they need so that those circuits can develop later on. Loved the video btw.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I agree. I do think some people will take it as him saying there is no such thing as ADHD, which hes not. Hes using an extreame to start change around language and how we veiw mental illness.

Quoting samanthastaatss:

I completely agree that ADD is not a disease. If we recognize that it’s not a disease and it’s not genetic, but it’s a problem of brain development. Knowing the good news, fortunately that the brain can develop new circuits even later on in life then the question becomes not of how to regulate and control symptoms, but how do you promote development? I think that has to do with providing kids with the kind of environment and nurturing that they need so that those circuits can develop later on. Loved the video btw.

samanthastaatss
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Exactly! Finally a woman who understands...!

Quoting Retrokitty:

I agree. I do think some people will take it as him saying there is no such thing as ADHD, which hes not. Hes using an extreame to start change around language and how we veiw mental illness.

Quoting samanthastaatss:

I completely agree that ADD is not a disease. If we recognize that it’s not a disease and it’s not genetic, but it’s a problem of brain development. Knowing the good news, fortunately that the brain can develop new circuits even later on in life then the question becomes not of how to regulate and control symptoms, but how do you promote development? I think that has to do with providing kids with the kind of environment and nurturing that they need so that those circuits can develop later on. Loved the video btw.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM
My dd has ADHD and she is currently unmedicated. She did take meds in kindergarten and did very well on them but I hate the thought of her being drugged up all day ever day. They also kept her from being her naturally bubbly self which wasn't what I wanted. She has good days and bad days and its a struggle for her to keep herself in cot troll at school but I know that she can control herself when she puts forth the effort so I will continue to keep her off meds and hopefully one day she will grow out of it as I've heard some kids so. Just my thoughts and experience on the subject.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this
This is perfect. I have experience with what you described. As a kid around 6 I was diagnosed with adhd, then a few years later when I was 10 my mom convinced drs I was bipolar and odd. She gave me up to the system because I was too hard to handle and I was in a 100% better environment. As a 15 year old I was reassessed and found to have nothing at all. So how you put it is, I feel, completely accurate.

Quoting samanthastaatss:

I completely agree that ADHD is not a disease. If we recognize that it’s not a disease and it’s not genetic, but it’s a problem of brain development. Knowing the good news, fortunately that the brain can develop new circuits even later on in life then the question becomes not of how to regulate and control symptoms, but how do you promote development? I think that has to do with providing kids with the kind of environment and nurturing that they need so that those circuits can develop later on. Loved the video btw.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I'm glad you see it that way. Like I said above I think the school system (and some parents) are the number one reason that people medicate. In kindergarten kids are expected to sit and listen for long periods at a time. No kindergarten kid is developmentally ready to do that. Add in ADHD and all of the sudden the school is saying your child is the "problem" instead thinking "hmm" maybe we are the problem. I commend you for not medicating. I personally believe it should be held off as long as possible, though I do understand that the time to medicate may come quicker then some parents want. A lot of people also don't hear the side effects of ridilin on the growing brain.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd has ADHD and she is currently unmedicated. She did take meds in kindergarten and did very well on them but I hate the thought of her being drugged up all day ever day. They also kept her from being her naturally bubbly self which wasn't what I wanted. She has good days and bad days and its a struggle for her to keep herself in cot troll at school but I know that she can control herself when she puts forth the effort so I will continue to keep her off meds and hopefully one day she will grow out of it as I've heard some kids so. Just my thoughts and experience on the subject.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Once we stop seeing kids with ADHD as the "problem" I think our veiw on mental illness will improve. 

Quoting samanthastaatss:

Exactly! Finally a woman who understands...!

Quoting Retrokitty:

Quoting samanthastaatss:

lalaboosh
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

A lot of ADD and ADHD diagnosis are false, and I think diet, parenting, and lifestyle choices are the root of this issue. The intestine is also known as the second brain. In other words, if our diet is bad for our digestive tract (the average American diet is HORRID for the digestive tract) we will have mental problems. That's why so many people go gluten and casien free to deal with anxiety and depression as well as ADD and ADHD. Then there's allergies that may not be diagnosed and common reactions to dyes. Yeah, ADD and ADHD are very real (from what I've read it's linked to lack of oxygen during formative years like gestation and early childhood, so get on the yoga mat preggos and get your kids running and singing!), but ADD and ADHD like symptoms are more common than the actual disorders and are to be treated differently.

2ltlmonkeyz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I have it , i was diagnosed as a child the only thing that worked was meds, my mom tried EVERYTHING. I do know of people that do other things to cope, but nothing else has ever worked for me :(

Quoting samanthastaatss:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN