Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! I need advice about my dd's school!!! Please.

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 36 Replies

Hi ladies,

I know I might have mentioned it here before, but I really need some help in regards to my dd. She was evaluated and has been approved to receive speech therapy. As part of a state provided program, she can receive speech therapy twice a week and it will be paid for by the state for a whole year. 

That's sounds great at first, but I have some concerns. My dd is well established at a school that doesn't have a speech therapist (YMCA). She loves it there. She has a great teacher, and little friends. She has been attending this school since the beginning of the school year in August. She goes to this school three days a week. Me and my dh would love for her to keep going to this school. We would also like for her to go there for Pre-K in the Fall. Pre-K for the Y would be four days a week, 8:30-11:30am. 

The issue is that the services that were offered to us are at a totally different school. They only have space available on Tuesday and Thursday. Which means I have to change her schedule at the Y preschool so she can go to the other school. That also means that she will have to go to school 5 days a week. The state program will only pay for 2 days. We don't want to switch schools altogether. One day at this new school is MORE than the cost of three days at her current school. Why? Because it is a private school. UGH! 

When it comes to school next Fall, we are thinking that she can go to the Y preschool just as we had planned Monday-Thursday. Then she can go to the private school in the afternoons on Tuesday and Thursday. 

This whole schedule is VERY confusing. I hope you were able to keep up with it. LOL. I so wish that my dd could just meet with a speech therapist at our home or in an office a couple of times a week. I don't want to send her to two totally different schools. I feel like that would be hard on our 3 year old. 

Have any of you sent your kids to two different schools before? I really don't feel comfortable with all of this. The classes are totally different. I have observed both classes and the one at the Y preschool is far more organized, and is calm. The one at the private school is loud and chaotic. I'm sure it is a good school, it is just such a big difference in environment. I have no idea how this is going to work. 

Thoughts? Ideas? I would really appreciate it. 

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aleta775
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

BUMP for replies. :) 

Aleta775
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

BUMP!

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM
How is she getting speech at a private school and not through your public school system?
momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just do private speech therapy sessions?  Would insurance cover it?

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM

You can choose a provider. Find one that will come to your daughter's school.

CafeMom Tickers
gcstar42
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I would not want my child going to two different schools either. Have you looked into ECI (Early Childhood Intervention?) This is a free program through the public school systems. My son was in this for his vision and they actually just had someone come to our house every week and it was always scheduled when it was convenient for us. I live in Texas, but I assume they have his or something similar pretty much anywhere. There is almost always something through public schools, since obviously everyone can't afford private schools.

Aleta775
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:56 PM

That is what they offered. I have no idea how it worked out that way. I know that in my state, if a child is found to have a learning disability, it is the states responsibility to get them up to speed before kindergarten. That is why they offer assistance if your child does in fact need it. It may be that this was the only school that had an opening that is also part of the state program. 

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

How is she getting speech at a private school and not through your public school system?

jakesmom323
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM
My son was approved from the state for speech therapy but j send him to a private Christian preschool and didn't want to use the preschool option only the therapy. We can't afford $100 a week in speech but can afford preschool, and wanted that to be open for someone in need. I send him for 30 minutes a week. At 3 they don't so 1 hour sessions and driving there twice a week is too much. It has really worked for my son. He had an upper and lower frenelum tie (lip/tongue tie) had it surgically fixed and needed help talking. Therapy even w/ insurance is sooooo expensive. Even for my fortunate family, it's too expensive. Take advantage of where your tax money goes;)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Aleta775
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM

We would have to pay for it out of pocket until we hit our deductible. Our deductible is high. :( We are still looking into it. 

Quoting momtolittleg:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just do private speech therapy sessions?  Would insurance cover it?

Aleta775
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

We can, but God only knows how much that will be. We are looking into that as a possibility. We will have to pay totally out of pocket before hitting the deductible. This is what was offered to us by the state, and this route is free. I just don't know if this is really the way we want to go. I would prefer that my kid get one on one attention. 

Quoting Kaelaasmom:

You can choose a provider. Find one that will come to your daughter's school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured