Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

interview for residency for citizenship?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dh and I have an interview for his residency in March. Any tips or help? It's the first marriage for both of us, live together for over one year. We have one kid together one that is mine.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Replies (61-66):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Hippie.Gypsy:

Good luck!

jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM
A lot of the laws changed after 2001, it was much easier then. Good luck, he may have to stay awhile, my dh only had to wait 3months but I know others that we're waiting a year or more, they will screw you on the medical exam but there's really nothing you can do but pay it. Do you have a waiver packet ready?

Quoting Anonymous:

We were told that if you are here for like two years or less, you can go to the consulate. Yes, our friend's interview was before 2001. I was told that i'm not allowed to go in with him and would have to stay outside. I thought i would have to do an interview too but our lawyer says no, so i don't really know about that or not. I just think it looks better if i'm there with him, so our child is going to stay here with my parents while we are there.

My brother-in-law (married to my sister) is from peru and he's been here since he was a baby on a visa. His visa expired when he turned 18, so he and my sister got married about a year later (they'd been together since junior high though). He didn't have to do any kind of interview, which kind of pisses me off. What really pisses me off though, is that they're still married, but they live in different states, and have for most of their marriage. I think it is absolute shit that it is so simple for them and so complicated for us.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

My dh had been here for 13 years and still had to go back, he had no criminal record and was brought here as a child, we we're told no matter what they had to go back. I wonder when your friend did their interview, was it before 2001? Also I was told that they will not let you in for his interview.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not the OP, but i can answer this. We have an immigration lawyer, and have done the first two steps in the process of residency. Our third step is to go to the consulate in mexico for his interview. I don't have to go though (but i am) because only he is being interviewed. I think that is because we've been together for six years and married for four though. Our lawyer said we will know right then if we're approved, and if we are, we have to wait for the green card and paperwork, and then we can come back.

My husband's friend didn't have to go to mexico for his interview, and was able to go to go to the consulate in detroit for his. Our lawyer said it depends on how long you've been here.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

He's illegal but he has a citizenship appt? Are you sure you're not talking about the waiver? And how did you manage to fix things here? Everyone I've ever known to fix their status had to go to their country to do it. If it is the waiver u can't go with him

Quoting Anonymous:

It should not matter to you if he is legal or not, I asked for help and if you don't have a reason for asking questions don't ask them. And since you know he's illegal I suppose you know where he is from too?

Quoting Anonymous:

In his interview? No clue.

In my opinion? Very much so.

Judging by your answer, I'm going to guess that's a no.

Quoting Anonymous:

Does that change anything ? O_o

Quoting Anonymous:

Did he come here legally?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Just relax. Thats the best advice I've got. Never been through that before.

Bertha21
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM
No you don't! I received my citizenship in November, without an interview. So yes, you can get a citizenship without an interview.

Quoting Anonymous:

You can't get citizenship without an interview unless you are filing a N-600 to get citizenship based on parental citizenship. You need to file then be fingerprinted then have the interview then be sworn in; the swearing in is required regardless of path to naturalization.

Quoting Bertha21:

I never had to have an interview to receive my citizenship. Why do you have to have an interview? I received mine in November.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:51 PM
We meet with our immigration lawyer in march to make the packet. I don't have any idea what in the heck to put in the packet to get a waiver. We're hoping to stay there only a few weeks. What medical exam? He had to have one here, and vaccinations, etc. We also pay taxes, and our lawyer said that helps. I'm really scared though.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

A lot of the laws changed after 2001, it was much easier then. Good luck, he may have to stay awhile, my dh only had to wait 3months but I know others that we're waiting a year or more, they will screw you on the medical exam but there's really nothing you can do but pay it. Do you have a waiver packet ready?

Quoting Anonymous:

We were told that if you are here for like two years or less, you can go to the consulate. Yes, our friend's interview was before 2001. I was told that i'm not allowed to go in with him and would have to stay outside. I thought i would have to do an interview too but our lawyer says no, so i don't really know about that or not. I just think it looks better if i'm there with him, so our child is going to stay here with my parents while we are there.

My brother-in-law (married to my sister) is from peru and he's been here since he was a baby on a visa. His visa expired when he turned 18, so he and my sister got married about a year later (they'd been together since junior high though). He didn't have to do any kind of interview, which kind of pisses me off. What really pisses me off though, is that they're still married, but they live in different states, and have for most of their marriage. I think it is absolute shit that it is so simple for them and so complicated for us.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

My dh had been here for 13 years and still had to go back, he had no criminal record and was brought here as a child, we we're told no matter what they had to go back. I wonder when your friend did their interview, was it before 2001? Also I was told that they will not let you in for his interview.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not the OP, but i can answer this. We have an immigration lawyer, and have done the first two steps in the process of residency. Our third step is to go to the consulate in mexico for his interview. I don't have to go though (but i am) because only he is being interviewed. I think that is because we've been together for six years and married for four though. Our lawyer said we will know right then if we're approved, and if we are, we have to wait for the green card and paperwork, and then we can come back.

My husband's friend didn't have to go to mexico for his interview, and was able to go to go to the consulate in detroit for his. Our lawyer said it depends on how long you've been here.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

He's illegal but he has a citizenship appt? Are you sure you're not talking about the waiver? And how did you manage to fix things here? Everyone I've ever known to fix their status had to go to their country to do it. If it is the waiver u can't go with him

Quoting Anonymous:

It should not matter to you if he is legal or not, I asked for help and if you don't have a reason for asking questions don't ask them. And since you know he's illegal I suppose you know where he is from too?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Can u pm me? I can tell you of my experience,with this

Quoting Anonymous:

We meet with our immigration lawyer in march to make the packet. I don't have any idea what in the heck to put in the packet to get a waiver. We're hoping to stay there only a few weeks. What medical exam? He had to have one here, and vaccinations, etc. We also pay taxes, and our lawyer said that helps. I'm really scared though.

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting jiffypop2207:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN