Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax question: Who gets to claim her?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I lived with a friend this past year until here recently. During that year I had a daughter who also lived with me. Now the friend and I are no longer living together, and are no longer friends. He wants to claim my daughter who is not his child on his taxes this year.

Is that even legal? He doesn't have her information to claim her (I would have to give it to him) and I'm not sure if I should allow this or not. I know his tax prepper, and she will allow him to continue claiming her each year despite her no longer residing with him, which I know is illegal. So should he be allowed to claim her this year since he did support her and I for the better part of 8 months? If I claim her, would it come back on me for an audit since our address was the same as his for most of the year?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM
To claim the child, it must have lived with you at least 6 months of the year. He would the child's social security number. You will be fine to claim the child as your dependent. The IRS wouldn't question it. It would raise questions if he claimed your child though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I wouldn't do it.
Aeonix
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I wouldn't let him. The fact that he would keep claiming her would be a huge issue for me. What about offering him some of your return, if he was supporting you? The IRS won't question you claiming your own child unless someone else claims her.
LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:42 PM
This.

Why not give him money since he supported you? Sounds like he was a great friend...now it's your turn to be a good person.

Quoting Aeonix:

I wouldn't let him. The fact that he would keep claiming her would be a huge issue for me. What about offering him some of your return, if he was supporting you? The IRS won't question you claiming your own child unless someone else claims her.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I hadn't thought about that. I don't mind helping him out, despite us not being friends anymore, but at the same time he only helped out. He didn't support us fully. I did side jobs and work under the table to cover all our food and necessities and did pay SOME rent. But $100 a month didn't cover the cost of us living there, I know.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

This.

Why not give him money since he supported you? Sounds like he was a great friend...now it's your turn to be a good person.

Quoting Aeonix:

AA2.0
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM
If he didn't support her for six months or more, he has no right to claim her. Fuck that noise.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM

He can't claim her if he is not the legal guardian. Don't give him your child's info, and file as soon as possible before he has a chance to try and file.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM
It's your kid. You claim her and slide a few hundred to him and be done with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Shes you child, you claim her. I wouldn't let him do it. It is your decision
TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM

you claim her.  he can, but i wouldn't let him.   he can't get the EIC for her so idk why he's want to bother. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN