Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He's only 15 months but...

Posted by   + Show Post
Dh and I are really thinking about homeschooling ds.
We are in Texas and they are talking about letting the faculty at the schools take guns into their classrooms.
A teacher is a regular person, they can blow just as quickly as anyone else!

What are the pros and cons of homeschooling?
Do you enjoy it?
Would you if you could?
Why do you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM
We're planning to homeschool starting this fall. Join the homeschooling moms group! :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
I wouldnt have the patience to home school, but good luck with whatever you decide
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Oh god. Please don't.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lalalie
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I haven't, but I wouldn't be comfortable with guns in schools.

Accidents can easily occur. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I have always wanted to homeschool, but I based that desire mainly on two things at the time.

1... my religion.

2... my own HORRID experiences in school.   Multitudes of them!

However, once married, DH disagreed for a while.  He was against it until a few years ago.   It began when my eldest started talking about dying and going to heaven to get away from the bullying.   She felt horrible about herself, about school, everything.  It bled into every aspect of her life and she fell into a seriously deep depression.   Her academics slipped..

Want to know how old she was?   She was almost 8 when we pulled her out, so the trouble started at 6....

FFWD, we pulled our son the following year (he was in KG when we pulled her)... partly due to my original feelings about public school, plus what happened with my daughter, plus we missed having him at home, plus we started to believe the academics were better at home.   

Also, he had a rotten teacher that told that class how bad they were on a regular basis, constantly compared them to her previous year's class.   She ended up putting her hands on the little girl I babysat who was in my son's class... My son started out really liking school... but by the time KG was over, he hated it... he cried sometimes and we had problems with regression.

So...

We do homeschool, and part of the reasons are because of negative experiences... the other part is due to the positives that we get OUT of HSing...  

We absolutely love how close our family is.   I ADORE having other groups and events to belong to.   We go to a homeschool choir, sports events, field trips, etc...   and it's wonderful.   What is even cooler is the amount of time my kids have.   They do schooling, chores, and still have lots of time to just be kids...

They also have more time with their Dad, especially back when he had to work second shift.. if it hadn't been for hsing, he would have never seen them.

Other nice things is taking family vacations during down time and less crowds! LOL!

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I home school my middle DD through a home school charter program. She home schools using the K12 program 3 days per week and attends a small charter school the other two days. It is best for her. The other three kids attend school because that is what is best for them. I really think the home schooling decisions should be made based on what is best for the individual child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Do home school if you want to but the teacher having guns is actually going to make it safer.
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
We're in Texas too. I hadn't heard that. It's obviously up to you as to what you do, but it's not for me. I think you should start researching it and make an educated decision. My 2 older kids LOVE school. Sometimes it's hard to let them go, but it's something you have to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Youngmother456
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
I went to online school in High school. I loved it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I would feel safer if my child's teacher had a gun
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)