Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He's only 15 months but...

Posted by   + Show Post
Dh and I are really thinking about homeschooling ds.
We are in Texas and they are talking about letting the faculty at the schools take guns into their classrooms.
A teacher is a regular person, they can blow just as quickly as anyone else!

What are the pros and cons of homeschooling?
Do you enjoy it?
Would you if you could?
Why do you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:53 PM
I think it's a shame that in many places they will let any parent homeschool. There is a good reason why teachers have to have a degree in education, yet it's so easy for any parent to homeschool their children.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with PP. Your DS will be better off at school.
kdgord
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM
and police officers and military aren't regular people??? They are just like the rest of us too with the exception of training to handle the weapons. If teachers are going through training as well how are they any different than police or military?

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

We are in Texas and they are talking about letting the faculty at the schools take guns into their classrooms.

Do you enjoy it?

Would you if you could?

Why do you?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Church people are the worst. My parents have reached out to their church for help several times and have been turned down. I was raped by a boy I was in youth group with. Yeah church people are the best.

At least you're doing something right, getting a degree, but if you're going to just use it to homeschool it's a waste of money and time.

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

I'm actually working on my degree for teaching so... Yea :)
And why are church friends a joke? We love our church family and they love us.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I'm not. 

Yeah, church friends...that's a laugh. I was homeschooled and it was the most horrible experience and ruined any chance off me getting into college, so I have no education to get a real job. I had no friends, except for "church" friends, again what a joke. 

You have to have a degree to be a teacher for a reason.

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

Are you the same anon replying over and over?

Anyways, we go to church and he has friends there, they also have social get togethers every week. I can educate him just as well as anyone else can, I'm not ignorant.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure, if you want your child to not have a social life, a real education, and a real chance in life, go ahead, homeschool him.

You can't protect him from everything, lady.

ambermario4ever
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Pros are working at the right speed for your child you can go faster or slower depending on what they need and can do. 

Cons no breaks without children so you can do house work.

we will be starting next year if all goes to plan.

yes.

we are going to do it becuase we can't afford the private school in the area and we have not been very happy with the public school even though it is the best in the county and an a rated school since it opened. We feel that our child has not been taught enough this year and we don't like some things the teacher has told our child like you can not talk about God at school.

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM
I was bullied as a child, teen and even adult. Dh was, too, that's another reason we've been thinking about it. I want God to be a part of his schooling, I also don't want him to have the problems we had growing up.
I'm going back and forth about it but I am really leaning towards it.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I have always wanted to homeschool, but I based that desire mainly on two things at the time.

1... my religion.

2... my own HORRID experiences in school.   Multitudes of them!

However, once married, DH disagreed for a while.  He was against it until a few years ago.   It began when my eldest started talking about dying and going to heaven to get away from the bullying.   She felt horrible about herself, about school, everything.  It bled into every aspect of her life and she fell into a seriously deep depression.   Her academics slipped..

Want to know how old she was?   She was almost 8 when we pulled her out, so the trouble started at 6....

FFWD, we pulled our son the following year (he was in KG when we pulled her)... partly due to my original feelings about public school, plus what happened with my daughter, plus we missed having him at home, plus we started to believe the academics were better at home.   

Also, he had a rotten teacher that told that class how bad they were on a regular basis, constantly compared them to her previous year's class.   She ended up putting her hands on the little girl I babysat who was in my son's class... My son started out really liking school... but by the time KG was over, he hated it... he cried sometimes and we had problems with regression.

So...

We do homeschool, and part of the reasons are because of negative experiences... the other part is due to the positives that we get OUT of HSing...  

We absolutely love how close our family is.   I ADORE having other groups and events to belong to.   We go to a homeschool choir, sports events, field trips, etc...   and it's wonderful.   What is even cooler is the amount of time my kids have.   They do schooling, chores, and still have lots of time to just be kids...

They also have more time with their Dad, especially back when he had to work second shift.. if it hadn't been for hsing, he would have never seen them.

Other nice things is taking family vacations during down time and less crowds! LOL!

maxswolfsuit
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Law enforcement and military are focused on protection and weapons all day every day, it's their job. They go through months of training. And lets not forget the fact that they sought out those jobs. They are interested in high risk jobs that may involve killing another human being. 

Teachers are focused on teaching. There is no way to provide them with amount of training that military and law enforcement get. Even if there was, how are they supposed to focus on keeping their holstered weapon safe and being prepared for the worst while they are busy doing their real jobs.

Not to mention that I didn't sign up for a job where I would be expected to shoot people. That's not what teachers are there to do. 

Quoting kdgord:

and police officers and military aren't regular people??? They are just like the rest of us too with the exception of training to handle the weapons. If teachers are going through training as well how are they any different than police or military?

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

Do you enjoy it?

Would you if you could?

Why do you?

juniebug11
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Right , my dd does Gymnatics right now & she has friends at church . Who knows what will change in 4 years

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

See we have an amazing church that has a set time just for kids 1-3 times a week. I figured he could go there sometimes to be with other kids.

Quoting juniebug11:

Dd is only 19 months and I want to homeschool my husband says no, she is very social and loves people, it wouldn't be fair.

I guess I'll worry more about it when the time comes .

Wifeyy2Lette
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Me, neither! I'm afraid for ds.

Quoting samanthastaatss:

At the college? Yes maam.. I don't even want to imagine what it's like 3 years from now when my little ones are finally ready to go to school.

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

Did you hear about the shooting today?

Quoting samanthastaatss:

I know, my jaw dropped when I found out that they were training teachers how to use a gun. 

Quoting Wifeyy2Lette:

I could move but I don't know if we want to, we love our lives here. With all the shootings, I think the last thing we need is MORE GUNS!

Quoting samanthastaatss:

I saw that too. I live in Texas and unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to move out of state before my little ones start attending school. I'm definitely looking into home schooling. I do not feel comfortable at all with the idea of bringing MORE guns into a school. 

hplesha
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:01 PM
There is a homeschooling group
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)