Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help settle an argument.

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 66 Replies

My twin boys just turned a year old last week and we are in the process of weaning them off of formula. I have read and was told by our pedi that we need to give them whole milk but my husband and his mother (whom we live with) are insisting that it will be fine to give them the 1% milk that everyone else in the house drinks. 

Im receiving no support from my husband on this as he is siding with his mother. I even got it in writing from my pedi that they need whole milk until age two. Any suggestions on what I can say to help convince them that they need whole milk? I don't want to deprive them of the needed fats they would get from whole by giving in and letting them give them 1%. 

Any suggestions would be nice. 

They are 24.11 and 26.7 pounds and both almost 30 inches tall. So they aren't skinny but I still think we should follow what the doctor says. 

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiesLiesLies
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:54 PM
5 moms liked this
Just buy it and give it to your children.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wifeyy2Lette
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:55 PM
Whole. They need the far for proper brain development.
mcwife86
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:56 PM

tell them that the kids are getting whole and if they have questions abt it then they can talk to your doctor. My son still drinks whole and he is 4. the doctor told me "i only tell them to take them off whole if the kid is showing signs of being overweight. while your son is large it is all very proportional and he shows no sign of being overweight. you can keep him on that if you want". and i did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I always gave my kids 2% milk and the doctor was fine with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I'm sorry but I have to side with them. Whole milk is absolutely disgusting! I don't drink it and my children don't neither. My son actually only drinks Soy Milk. Whole milk just may mess up their stomachs. I'm no doctor but personally I wouldn't. I wish I could help.
Megan11587
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM
Whole milk. I drink skim, so I buy a half gallon of each
SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 7:59 PM

My pedi said whole or 2% only--the others don't have enough of the good fats in them.  If they don't have issues with dairy, then they will be fine on milk.

aikimomof3
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The only reason they need "whole milk" is for the fat content. Babies need more fat until the age of 3 so their brain can develop. As long as they are getting enough fat in their diet through other means, I think you're fine. My DD2 does not even drink cow milk. She weaned of breastfeeding a few months ago and drinks coconut milk on occasion (maybe once a week), but gets enough fat in her diet through cheese and other foods. She won't drink cow milk.

butterflyblue19
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

They need the fat for brain growth. Stick with the whole milk

smalltowngal
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Do they eat cheese, yogurt, ice cream, butter, etc? If they already eating other dairy products, espcially if they're full fat, they'll be fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN