Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

So f***ing pissed right now *EDIT** Update**Update again*

Posted by   + Show Post
Cussing vent!

At my fucking landlord right now! The fucking drain pipe for my bathroom is OUTSIDE my fucking house with no insulation! The last few days the temps have not gone above 25 degrees outside. Guess what happened? The fucking pipe froze and now I can't flush my fucking toilet, use my sink, or give my DD a bath because the fucking water has backed up into my toilet, sink, and tub! This happened 5 years ago and it was so bad that it crack a STEEL FUCKING PIPE! I told him 5 years ago, when he replaced the pipe that he should heat wrap it or find a way to protect it from the cold. Did he listen? Fuck no! To make it worse, it's a PVC (plastic) pipe! I have no bathroom because of this shit! I am so fucking pissed off right now!

*EDIT*

Ladies, this is a 7 foot tall, 6 inch wide pipe that is completely outside. Leaving the water dripping will not fix or prevent this problem. It should have been heat wrapped and insulated from the start. Hair dryers will not fix this problem due to the size of the pipe, the fact that it is outside, and the fact that it is currently 11 degrees outside.

*Update*

Some one is coming out to heat wrap and insulate the pipe, tomorrow! My neighbor called the property manager, who was no help, then he called the landlord. He tried to jerk around about it and say it couldn't be frozen, but my neighbor told him that it absolutely was, we checked, several times. He said some one would be out tomorrow to heat wrap and insulate it. My neighbor.called because I am too pissed and didn't want to scream at my landlord for not listening to me in the first place!

*Another update*

Let's see if we can make this worse? The cause of the downward pipe being able to freeze would be that the septic tank needs to be pumped out, has started to back up the underground line from the tank to the house, causing the water to get caught in my drain line so it could freeze. Oh AND it seems the line is starting to freeze because ofthe unusually low temperatures. The landlord is calling the septic company to traing the tank, but it's gonna be at least another day or two for them to get here, AND figure out how to deal with the ice in the underground line. On top if that, even with the heat wrap and insulation, my line is STILL fucking frozen! I'm so pissed and trying to figure out what we're gonna do until we have a working bathroom again. Fucking lovely!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Replies (81-86):
gypsy_rose
by Kandy on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Because a landlord can sue you for doing work they dif not aprove on the house and by law (atleast here) all plumbing must be done by a licensed pro or your fined if they findout.

Quoting imultracool:

If he's not willing to do it she should do it herself. Take some responsibility for her home. She's lived there for over 5 years. Just tell him she's doing it if he doesn't. I don't see what the big deal is. When I lived in a duplex we got fleas from our neighbor but the landlord would not hire pest control. So dh and I did it ourselves. Why live without water when you can take care of the issue yourself?

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Why the hell should she psy when she does not own the property? Also landlords in some states can sue you for doing unaproved work on the house.

Quoting imultracool:

I dunno. My husband does that stuff himself, fixing appliances, put in a new hot water heater a/c and furnance. He went under the house and insulated all our pipes. It cost like $100 for the insulation stuff and that was it. If you just get the materials and do it yourself it shouldn't cost very much.

Quoting jkleinman:

Do you have a couple hundred laying around that I can have to fix this problem because it's not a cheap fix.

Quoting imultracool:

Why not just do it yourself rather than bitching?

celticwych
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I find it really funny that some of you women are blaming the renter for upkeep of the house she is not buying, doesnt own and has more then likely paid enough rent to fix the problem 20 times.  Slum lords are just arent in the slums.  Her only alternative is to either wait for him to fix it, set her rent up in an escrow and let him know this with a certified letter.........or fix it herself and take it off her rent which in many states is illegal.  She may be in a position where there is is little or no choices.  I would put the rent in an account and write the landlord. 

jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Thank you.

Quoting celticwych:

I find it really funny that some of you women are blaming the renter for upkeep of the house she is not buying, doesnt own and has more then likely paid enough rent to fix the problem 20 times.  Slum lords are just arent in the slums.  Her only alternative is to either wait for him to fix it, set her rent up in an escrow and let him know this with a certified letter.........or fix it herself and take it off her rent which in many states is illegal.  She may be in a position where there is is little or no choices.  I would put the rent in an account and write the landlord. 

jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Bump for new update.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Check your state laws. In Mass if something like that happens, the lanlord has to put tenants in a hotel until it is fixed. At their expense and cannot raise rent or charge tenants. The landlord of my first apartment had to do this. Pipes froze. It was going to take a week to have everything fixed and running. So she had to put my family in a hotel room for the week.
jkleinman
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM

That won't happen.  I can't find anything in the laws about it either.

Quoting Anonymous:

Check your state laws. In Mass if something like that happens, the lanlord has to put tenants in a hotel until it is fixed. At their expense and cannot raise rent or charge tenants. The landlord of my first apartment had to do this. Pipes froze. It was going to take a week to have everything fixed and running. So she had to put my family in a hotel room for the week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)