Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Catholic Church is allowing Married preists now

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
They are performing they ceremony for ordination in Wellsville NY. Very near my home..
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Replies (131-140):
Newmom8912
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM
If priests married god wouldn't that make them gay which is a sin?

Quoting emilysmom8:

*sigh* As far as I remember from religion classes nun's and priest are married to god and not supposed to be married to a person, even ones who convert

Quoting AutymsMommy:

*sigh*

There's nothing to think about it. The Church allows THOSE ALREADY MARRIED Anglican/Episcopalian priests to convert. You may not marry once you are a Catholic priest. KWIM?

Quoting emilysmom8:

Here is a link..

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/southern_tier/married-dad-of-3-to-be-catholic-priest

I heard this on the news earier and was going make a post about it asking Catholics what they thought..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvmygrndhg
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Look into your child's eyes and say this again.  Is that what you see, a thing without a soul, without great purpose?  How sad!  As a mother, my faith has grown exponentially as I see the beauty of the soul of each of my children and realize their eternal purpose.  I see the wonders of creation and realize that it could not have happened at random.  It seems to me that it's people like you who cannot wrap their minds around Someone who exceeds us in love and intellect, that there is a life that does transcend the "turmoil" and "tribulations".  Our own capacity for love and reason (that far surpases all other life forms) is a reflection of the God that created us in His own image.  If you cannot see that when you hold life in your arms, fragile life that is but a heartbeat away or a breath away from this existence, and not experience gratitude for the One who formed that precious little being, I find that a sad alternative that I could never consider.  I rather believe and be ridiculed than live a life thinking so bleakly.

Quoting teeloffel:

I understand that people like you (devout) want...NEED to believe that, but the truth of the matter is, that religion, in some way, shape or form ,will always be around because humans require it. Most people aren't comfortable with the fact that we are most likely not living for any"great purpose", that our lives are just what they are; nothing special. And that's alright, but most people can't wrap their heads around something that depressing,so they look to religion to help explain their turmoil and tribulations and to assure them that there's something better out there. So, yeah, some church or another will always be around, but "God" ,has nothing to do with it.

I also am aware of some of the positive programs the church has, but the issues I have with them is that they are not available to everyone; generally only to other religious followers and or non LGBT couples or individuals. In my book, that act alone undermines pretty much everything else they do.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

Because of the prevalent anti-Catholic sentiment that pervades most aspects of society.  You probably have only heard negative things about the Church just like everyone here who loves to jump on the Catholic bashing bandwagon.  Like everyone else it's easy for you to pass judgement on the entire Catholic Church.  You are probably unwilling to explore any of the positive aspects of the Church or even consider that even though it's been attacked from outside and from within it still stands after 2000 years.  No man made institution could survive all the corruption if there wasn't something that transcends that, something good, spiritual, mystical but I doubt that you will even consider that.

Quoting teeloffel:

Obviously I'm not the only person here who had that thought. Why do you think that is? 

It's by no means only the catholic church that births pedophiles, but it is certainly one of the most well-known harborers of offenders.

Quite frankly, if the church doesn't like having that parallel associated with it, it probably should have done more about protecting the children within it's congregations. My opinion still stands. Sorry you're offended.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

and again, you generalize an entire group of relgious clergy based on the actions of a few.  Who's making blanket judgments again?

Quoting teeloffel:

Well... if the shoe fits...

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

OH PLEASE. You both made nasty, bitchy comments and you generalized in your wording.  "oh if priests can marry they won't touch children" is one of the dumbest, most overused, and most inaccurate arguments used on here.  Of course I am going to defend priests, I always do, because people like yourself like to immediately go there in every Cathoilic based post, no matter what the topic.

Quoting teeloffel:

Oooh. NOW it all makes sense.

Listen sweetheart, nobody said "ALL PRIESTS TOUCH KIDS", did they?  So who's the one who's jumping to that conclusion here?  You.  Perhaps you need to think about that a little instead of going all crazy on everyone else because YOU made the blanket judgement  in your own mind.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I have been Catholic my entire life and my brother is a priest. He doesn't touch kids, FYI. I have come in contact with many wonderful priests whom I would trust with my life.  I specifically said, it happened, we all know the stories. But the likelihood of your kid getting messed with by a priest is much less than them being touched by a family member, etc. And to let you know, in the county I grew up in, with over 20 churches, there was never an accusation of molestation.  So your specific examples do not exemplify the church as a WHOLE.  You made a rude, nasty comment to  be offensive.

Quoting Hezzy1228:

Honey I grew up in the church, my father was a preacher. I know how it really works. There are actually recent documents of church's covering up molestations for years, as well as over thousands of cases of boy scout reports of molestations, which is also church oriented. it's not uncommon for even church's to hide their naughty behavior too.  Now that said, I don't believe every preist, teacher ect.. are molesters and I certainly never implied I did think that. However I'm not the type of idiot to believe it couldn't or wouldn't happen to me or my family. there for I don't trust anyone with the safety of my children except my self. Oh and to let you know, three catholic preist's where I live within two years were convicted of child molestation...and we only have one catholic church in our town, you do the math.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

when you say priests molest children, it is horribly offensive. A very small percentage of priests actually did that and the church will be making amends for that for years, as they should be. They were wrong.  Nothing else you have said in this post implied anything other than that you think priests are molesters. In reality, your kids are in greater danger being around their uncles, your close male friends, and their coaches than a Catholic priest. Its completely asinine to imply that allowing priests to marry would have any effect on molestation whatsoever.

Quoting Hezzy1228:

Yes because I totally said other wise too, genius Sarah!. I should be shocked you actually just threw a tantrum, but half the idiots on this board always get a fire under their ass and make assumptions based on one reply ;) YAY Genius all around!!

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

yeah, because that works for all the married child molesters out there, they have a wife, so that means they stop touching kids! Genius Hezzy!

Quoting Hezzy1228:

About damn time, maybe now these horny bastards will stop molesting children if they can actually have a life outside of religion.

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

It's called science.  Not romantic or pretty, but that's what everything you say amounts to in my eyes.  I can fully understand why someone would want to believe in what you're saying, but, I don't. 

I believe that we are all part of one giant energy. When we die, we become part of that energy again. But there is no heaven, no hell, and certainly no levels of either.  People are both inherently good and evil, but we make individual choices as to which portion of ourselves we will indulge.  When I look at my daughter, I do not see a "thing without a soul". I see an individual of great promise and potential, but what she becomes is up to her, not me and not god. 

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

Look into your child's eyes and say this again.  Is that what you see, a thing without a soul, without great purpose?  How sad!  As a mother, my faith has grown exponentially as I see the beauty of the soul of each of my children and realize their eternal purpose.  I see the wonders of creation and realize that it could not have happened at random.  It seems to me that it's people like you who cannot wrap their minds around Someone who exceeds us in love and intellect, that there is a life that does transcend the "turmoil" and "tribulations".  Our own capacity for love and reason (that far surpases all other life forms) is a reflection of the God that created us in His own image.  If you cannot see that when you hold life in your arms, fragile life that is but a heartbeat away or a breath away from this existence, and not experience gratitude for the One who formed that precious little being, I find that a sad alternative that I could never consider.  I rather believe and be ridiculed than live a life thinking so bleakly.

Quoting teeloffel:

I understand that people like you (devout) want...NEED to believe that, but the truth of the matter is, that religion, in some way, shape or form ,will always be around because humans require it. Most people aren't comfortable with the fact that we are most likely not living for any"great purpose", that our lives are just what they are; nothing special. And that's alright, but most people can't wrap their heads around something that depressing,so they look to religion to help explain their turmoil and tribulations and to assure them that there's something better out there. So, yeah, some church or another will always be around, but "God" ,has nothing to do with it.

I also am aware of some of the positive programs the church has, but the issues I have with them is that they are not available to everyone; generally only to other religious followers and or non LGBT couples or individuals. In my book, that act alone undermines pretty much everything else they do.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

Because of the prevalent anti-Catholic sentiment that pervades most aspects of society.  You probably have only heard negative things about the Church just like everyone here who loves to jump on the Catholic bashing bandwagon.  Like everyone else it's easy for you to pass judgement on the entire Catholic Church.  You are probably unwilling to explore any of the positive aspects of the Church or even consider that even though it's been attacked from outside and from within it still stands after 2000 years.  No man made institution could survive all the corruption if there wasn't something that transcends that, something good, spiritual, mystical but I doubt that you will even consider that.

Quoting teeloffel:

Obviously I'm not the only person here who had that thought. Why do you think that is? 

It's by no means only the catholic church that births pedophiles, but it is certainly one of the most well-known harborers of offenders.

Quite frankly, if the church doesn't like having that parallel associated with it, it probably should have done more about protecting the children within it's congregations. My opinion still stands. Sorry you're offended.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

and again, you generalize an entire group of relgious clergy based on the actions of a few.  Who's making blanket judgments again?

Quoting teeloffel:

Well... if the shoe fits...

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

OH PLEASE. You both made nasty, bitchy comments and you generalized in your wording.  "oh if priests can marry they won't touch children" is one of the dumbest, most overused, and most inaccurate arguments used on here.  Of course I am going to defend priests, I always do, because people like yourself like to immediately go there in every Cathoilic based post, no matter what the topic.

Quoting teeloffel:

Oooh. NOW it all makes sense.

Listen sweetheart, nobody said "ALL PRIESTS TOUCH KIDS", did they?  So who's the one who's jumping to that conclusion here?  You.  Perhaps you need to think about that a little instead of going all crazy on everyone else because YOU made the blanket judgement  in your own mind.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

I have been Catholic my entire life and my brother is a priest. He doesn't touch kids, FYI. I have come in contact with many wonderful priests whom I would trust with my life.  I specifically said, it happened, we all know the stories. But the likelihood of your kid getting messed with by a priest is much less than them being touched by a family member, etc. And to let you know, in the county I grew up in, with over 20 churches, there was never an accusation of molestation.  So your specific examples do not exemplify the church as a WHOLE.  You made a rude, nasty comment to  be offensive.

Quoting Hezzy1228:

Honey I grew up in the church, my father was a preacher. I know how it really works. There are actually recent documents of church's covering up molestations for years, as well as over thousands of cases of boy scout reports of molestations, which is also church oriented. it's not uncommon for even church's to hide their naughty behavior too.  Now that said, I don't believe every preist, teacher ect.. are molesters and I certainly never implied I did think that. However I'm not the type of idiot to believe it couldn't or wouldn't happen to me or my family. there for I don't trust anyone with the safety of my children except my self. Oh and to let you know, three catholic preist's where I live within two years were convicted of child molestation...and we only have one catholic church in our town, you do the math.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

when you say priests molest children, it is horribly offensive. A very small percentage of priests actually did that and the church will be making amends for that for years, as they should be. They were wrong.  Nothing else you have said in this post implied anything other than that you think priests are molesters. In reality, your kids are in greater danger being around their uncles, your close male friends, and their coaches than a Catholic priest. Its completely asinine to imply that allowing priests to marry would have any effect on molestation whatsoever.

Quoting Hezzy1228:

Yes because I totally said other wise too, genius Sarah!. I should be shocked you actually just threw a tantrum, but half the idiots on this board always get a fire under their ass and make assumptions based on one reply ;) YAY Genius all around!!

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

yeah, because that works for all the married child molesters out there, they have a wife, so that means they stop touching kids! Genius Hezzy!

Quoting Hezzy1228:

About damn time, maybe now these horny bastards will stop molesting children if they can actually have a life outside of religion.

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM

If a girl calls herself a basketball player but never sets foot on the court or if she does go she plays by another set of rules (baseball, football, etc.), would you call her a basketball player?

Pope Benedict has alluded that the Church will necessarily have to become leaner, smaller and purer.  Many heterodox and pretty much Protestant members are not liking his "reforms".  I think the Church is becoming more authentic and that is what is attracting people like the man this whole post is about.  Those who are seeking the fullness of the Truth are coming home and those who want to live the lies of the world may end up leaving. 

Quoting danandsamsmom:

So in your opinion, the "true" Catholic Church in the US must be pretty small. Or do you think that large numbers of people are lying in polls regarding their religious affiliation?

danandsamsmom
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I understand that the Catholic Church does not condone birth control.  Many people who consider themselves affiliated with the Catholic Church disagree with this stance, and a lot of them are probably sitting next to you in chuch.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm stating that it is a fact that the Catholic Church does not condone the use of birth control or abortions.  And while there are people that are Catholic and support the use of these things, they are not following the Church's teachings 100%, which is pretty black and white.  There isn't a lot of grey area in the Catechism of the faith.

Quoting danandsamsmom:

So in your opinion, the "true" Catholic Church in the US must be pretty small. Or do you think that large numbers of people are lying in polls regarding their religious affiliation?

Quoting Anonymous:

The Catholic Church is inherently against birth control, and the Pope is not changing his stance on it.  Therefore, people that support birth control and abortion do not truly follow the Catholic Church and her teachings.  Anyone can pretend to be anything in any given poll or study.

Quoting danandsamsmom:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/154799/americans-including-catholics-say-birth-control-morally.aspx

In this recent poll, 82% of American Catholics believe that birth control is morally acceptable, as opposed to 89% of all Americans.  I suppose that you have selected to hang with the 18% of Catholics that do not find birth control acceptable.

I am not Catholic, although I live in a predominately Catholic city. I can't say that I know the birth controls options of most of the people that "I hang with".

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmmm, well most of the Catholics I know use NFP and are 100% against abortions.  Guess I don't hang with Cafeteria Catholics though.

Quoting danandsamsmom:

If all of the "cafeteria Catholics" in the US left the Catholic church, it would become very small.  Catholic women in the US aren't much less likely to use contraception have abortions than non-Catholic women.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

Wonderful news!  I love hearing stories of converts to Catholicism!  This man was already ordained in the Episcopal Church.  It's so cool that Anglicans and Episcopalians that want to be in full communion with the Catholic Church are accepting the Pope's invitation to join the Church.  Now if we could just send over the disgruntled Cafeteria Catholics over to the Anglican or Episcopal church so they can have women and gay priests as well as contraception then I'd consider that a fair trade :) 

Quoting emilysmom8:

Here is a link..

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/southern_tier/married-dad-of-3-to-be-catholic-priest

I heard this on the news earier and was going make a post about it asking Catholics what they thought..

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Science is not incompatible with Faith.  Faith and reason are like the wings of an eagle.  You can't soar to amazing heights on just one wing.  There are plenty of examples of great scientists who had faith in God.  It was Catholics who developed the scientific method.  Historically, science has been a means to better understand creation.  That "people are both inherently good and evil" seems like an overly simplistic explanation for what makes up humanity.  Whether you believe it or not, you have a soul and it's not just energy (matter).

Quoting teeloffel:

It's called science.  Not romantic or pretty, but that's what everything you say amounts to in my eyes.  I can fully understand why someone would want to believe in what you're saying, but, I don't. 

I believe that we are all part of one giant energy. When we die, we become part of that energy again. But there is no heaven, no hell, and certainly no levels of either.  People are both inherently good and evil, but we make individual choices as to which portion of ourselves we will indulge.  When I look at my daughter, I do not see a "thing without a soul". I see an individual of great promise and potential, but what she becomes is up to her, not me and not god. 

teeloffel
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I never stated that science was incompatible with faith.  Generally speaking though, science and faith differ on quite a few fundamental issues; creation being one pretty large one. 

Anyway, I'm tired of defending my OPINION from you and your bible thumping buddies. I believe what I believe just like you do - you are entitled to your opinion just as I am mine, so why don't you spend your energy doing something more productive for yourself.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

Science is not incompatible with Faith.  Faith and reason are like the wings of an eagle.  You can't soar to amazing heights on just one wing.  There are plenty of examples of great scientists who had faith in God.  It was Catholics who developed the scientific method.  Historically, science has been a means to better understand creation.  That "people are both inherently good and evil" seems like an overly simplistic explanation for what makes up humanity.  Whether you believe it or not, you have a soul and it's not just energy (matter).

Quoting teeloffel:

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

This is so funny!  Do you know how many people have done that?  Well, they're all six feet under (and who knows where their eternal soul ended up) and those who are still here attacking her will eventually be maggot food too...and guess what?  The Church is still standing after over 2000 years and will continue to stand long after all of us are gone :)

Quoting Hezzy1228:

honey I didn't make a comment to be offensive, I made a comment because it is what I really felt, if I wanted to be offensive I could use my studies of religions, history and facts to tear apart your religion with it's faults and the hole filled flaws but I don't.  there for stating something I felt may have been offensive to you, but it's what I felt and since it was offensive to you I'll say sorry, but it's not my fault catholics are the butt of jokes and most commonly known for that. You may wanna take that problem up with another part of the population who started it. 

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Sounds like your father wasn't very rooted in true Christianity if he was willing to explore Wiccan and Satanic religions.  Did he really pass judgment on others and say that "the church was full of assholes."?  The thought that came to mind is "It takes one to know one."  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the way you express yourself and treat people here "is a credit" to your upbringing.  Whenever I see rude and obnoxious kids, I don't blame them but the parents who raised them.  I find many times in adults their character was formed by their parents and if they were not brought up to respect others, well...it shows.

Quoting Hezzy1228:

Yes he was, christian preacher, graduated went to school for it and everything. Quit because the church was full of assholes. We even went to the other churchs to meet with the other ministers or preist's, had many different cultures and beliefes that we met with, wiccan, gothic, satanic, you name it. My dad didn't believe in separating people because of religion, met alot of great people from all over the world, but people are assholes no matter the religion so he quit.

Again where the heck did I state that it was only preist's doing the molesting?

Hezzy1228
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Obviously reading comprehension failed. my father isnt the one who called them assholes i am, i watched them harass my mother because her and my father were affectionate in public, i watched them use my father over and over and yet he was still never up to their "beliefs" because he was accepting, he didnt care if you were gay, straight black or white, we housed an african tribe in our home for a month while they visited our town while through the youth group and those "true christians" called them heathens and never stated he did, secondly we are taught in the bible NOT to judge others but to be accepting, if by meeting and conversing with people of other religions including wicca and satanic to understand them and their choices in an attempt to help inrich their lives made him an "untrue" christian, than obviously christians truly are judgmental and condeming. oh also the term was "met with" not exploring, again read the actual words not what you want to pick apart.

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

Sounds like your father wasn't very rooted in true Christianity if he was willing to explore Wiccan and Satanic religions.  Did he really pass judgment on others and say that "the church was full of assholes."?  The thought that came to mind is "It takes one to know one."  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the way you express yourself and treat people here "is a credit" to your upbringing.  Whenever I see rude and obnoxious kids, I don't blame them but the parents who raised them.  I find many times in adults their character was formed by their parents and if they were not brought up to respect others, well...it shows.

Quoting Hezzy1228:

Yes he was, christian preacher, graduated went to school for it and everything. Quit because the church was full of assholes. We even went to the other churchs to meet with the other ministers or preist's, had many different cultures and beliefes that we met with, wiccan, gothic, satanic, you name it. My dad didn't believe in separating people because of religion, met alot of great people from all over the world, but people are assholes no matter the religion so he quit.

Again where the heck did I state that it was only preist's doing the molesting?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)