Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This post might offend, but I'm curious................

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What is the oldest age that you have ever known of someone who was overweight most of their life to live to?

For me it is 72

However it seems like the mid to late 60's is the most common...

So, can I ask, if a 50 something year old refuses to try to lose weight is that the same as a 20 something year old refusing to get treatment for cancer (or diabets, or whatever)

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
catrig
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Not sure.  I don't talk to her often.

Quoting Anonymous:

Can I ask how her health is now... like is she able to live alone, etc?

Quoting catrig:

My great aunt has always been big.  Really big.  She is in her 80s.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:37 PM
My great aunt just turned 99 she's been a big woman as long as I've known her
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My grandpa died very overweight at 59, his mother is still alive at 93. She is a very healthy weight. 

Grandpa was also a smoker and  had emphysema and COPD. I think if he had taken better care of himself he might be here today and it makes me sad that DD will never get to meet him. He was the best. 

Not_A_Native
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:39 PM

My father in law had always had a bit of overweight, and he's 90 but in TERRiBLE shape (pacemaker, diabetes, and so on).

On the other hand, a very good friend of mine, who usually weighed about 300, dropped dead last year of a heart attack (no previous heart problems).  She was 47, with a daughter (20) who still needed her, and a brand new grandson she never got to really know.  Oh, and she was always active too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM

My aunt weighed over 300lb's when she passed away. She was 89.

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM

everyone in my family is overweight. most die in their 70s or 80s. A few died earlier than that but it had nothing to do with being overweight.

deepthinker
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I use to work at a couple nursing home when I was younger and about half the residents were overweight and we had about 200-250 residents in each facility.  Most ranged in age from about 70-100. 

I also think that refusing cancer treatment is very different than not attempting to lose weight. Refusing cancer treatment is most likely putting a nail int he coffin.  People have lived long lives being overweight.  I think there is a real difference between overweight and obese. Being overweight doesn't always lead to health problems and you can still be healthy.  Obese usually always come with some type of health problems.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Cynthje
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM

90's

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured