Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My first Aldi experience

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 86 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know it's been done before, but I wanted to restate it because I think it needs to be said. Named brand does NOT mean better quality.

Aldi is set up a little strange. You have to bring a quarter with you so you can get a grocery cart. I wasn't expecting that AT ALL. I was like, "Wtf? Why are the carts all chained together?" They were also kept outside and it was freezing so I'm fiddling with this cart trying to get it unchained and this Somali man was next to me and he's like, "Is this yours?" and hands me a quarter. No it wasn't my quarter, but I took it and I said thank you and found the slot and got the cart unchained. 

Then into the store. Can't move around too easily in there. Small store. You get the basics and everything in Aldi brand, which is no big thing to me. I tried their product and it tastes good, even better than named brand in some cases, like their canned fruit. 

Their oranges were AWESOME! In Minnesota, it is hard to get good oranges even when they are in season. But these oranges were great. 

They make you buy your own bags. I actually like this because it forces people to recycle. It keeps plastic out of landfills and oceans. It also saves everyone money in the end.

We had an entire cart of groceries for $130. In the regular grocery store, the same items would have cost me $200 or more easily. A cart of food is anywhere from $240 to over $300 here. Totally worth it to get those things at Aldi instead. 

And the Somali man asked me what apples were. I'm sure he knew what they were. His English was not lacking at all. He heard me telling my husband my endeavor with the carts and told him that he had helped me. He thought maybe I needed to return the favor or something? I dunno. I kept the quarter in the cart and didn't chain it, but returned it the cart rack. I figured someone else could use a cart and didn't have a quarter. :)

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I only buy organic and if I can't find organic it has to be American grown so Aldi's doesn't work for us.  I used to go there, the deals were great, but the food quality is not.  Even their flour is so bleached that you can taste it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:16 AM
What is aldi?
Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I went to Aldi when i was visiting my mom. I wish we had them where i live. =/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
We don't have Aldi's where I live, thank God. All the stories I have heard on here make the store sound ghetto.
calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
I've only been to Aldi once since there isn't one close to here but Save a lot is somewhat similar except they have some name brands and you don't have to pay to use a cart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
That's gross.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I only buy organic and if I can't find organic it has to be American grown so Aldi's doesn't work for us.  I used to go there, the deals were great, but the food quality is not.  Even their flour is so bleached that you can taste it.

calvinsmommy18
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:19 AM
A grocery store like save a lot.

Quoting Anonymous:

What is aldi?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I went to aldis one time, with someone who was getting groceries. I found it dirty so I didn't go back.

Celtic_Dragon
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Well, I didn't buy any flour. I use flour so little that I would probably NOT buy flour there. I try not to buy bleached flour anyway. That's not a very organic route to take, buying bleached flour. . .

I know the oranges are from Florida, but I wouldn't mind if they came from Mexico or South America. I purchase a lot of fresh fruits when they are not in season here but are in season in South America. Like cherries. I love cherries and can get them cheaply in the middle of winter because they are in season in S. America. 

I didn't buy any meats there at the time. It can't possibly be any worse than our local grocery store. I purchased a roast and I opened it up, flipped it over and I could have made bacon with how much fat was on this roast. The ENTIRE back of it was 2 inches of fat! I had to cut it up to try and get the meat out and the pile of "meat" compared to "fat" was very sad. That was fresh pork roast from a local market. Local raised meat. 

I try to purchase directly from the farmer when it comes to meats. Or I harvest it from nature because we hunt. You never know where your meats have been and who is packaging it. What store you purchase it from has little meaning really. They could still have a greedy/lazy/dirty meat department. 

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Celtic_Dragon
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:34 AM

I've never seen a save a lot in my entire life. I think they are a "south" thing. . .

I've never heard of Aldi either until they opened one up in our town. It's only been here for about a year. 

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

I've only been to Aldi once since there isn't one close to here but Save a lot is somewhat similar except they have some name brands and you don't have to pay to use a cart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN