Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am exhausted by in-law drama. (LONG)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I just need to vent somewhere and everybody I know IRL is asleep.  Basically, my in-law drama is vast.  I have been consistently depressed for about six months now, due to them.  I've even contemplated leaving DH over it.  I've always been super close with MIL, despite my issues with other in-laws.  But, lately, our relationship has felt a little different.  Today sort of drove home for me that things aren't like they used to be with her and I.

DH and I are renovating our home so we are staying with MIL and FIL throughout the process. Given MIL's and my relationship, I really thought it was a good idea to stay here.  She begged us to choose her house over my mom's.

This morning, MIL asked me if I would help her do some paperwork for the business (she and FIL own a company).  I told her I would help her and we went into the office and worked for a while.  SIL had today off, so she and her son were here just hanging out.  MIL said to me, "We were going to see if you wanted to go out to lunch, but it's too late.  I'm not gonna have time before work."  I kinda said something along the lines of, "Aww, that sucks!"  Then, I finished the paperwork and no more was said about that.  After I was done doing the work, which I DO NOT EVER GET PAID FOR, I went back to my area of the house.

I spoke to MIL a little while later and things were fine.  Fifteen minutes after that, I heard MIL and SIL's voices out in the driveway.  I saw SIL and my nephew getting in their car and MIL got in hers.  It was 2:30, which I thought was strange because MIL doesn't have to be at work until 4.  I just chalked it up to her leaving early so she could catch up on something once she got there.  **Let me just clear up now that MIL works another part-time job in addition to her business with FIL.**

DH came home from work this evening and I wanted to talk to him about our summer vacation plans so I said, "Hey, I wanted to talk to you."  He looked at me and said, "Let me guess?  You're mad because my mom didn't invite you out to lunch with her and my sister today?"  Umm, huh? 

Apparently, MIL and SIL left the house at 2:30 and went out to lunch together before MIL had to go to work.  They did not invite me, or even tell me they were going.  They played it off just so I would think MIL was going to work and SIL was going home.  My feelings are really hurt right now.  I know it might seem petty, or whatever.  But, does that make any sense to you?  Why would MIL tell me that they wanted to go to lunch (with me), but then turn around and go without me?  I simply do not understand that.  They both knew I was at home, awake, and had no plans for today.

The way DH acted about is really pissing me off, too.  Idk, this is just one straw on the camel's back, out of many that make me want to limit my ties to my in-laws.  I can't sit here and write about all of the issues, but there are so many.  I know this particular thing seems petty and stupid on the surface, but if you were familiar with the situation you'd understand. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MooBaaLaLaLa80
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Weird. 

crzy4mc
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:56 AM
maybe she wanted some mother/daughter time. I wouldnt put too much thought in to it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Well, I maybe would have thought that if MIL hadn't said, "we wanted to ask you to go to lunch..."  If she just didn't say anything, period, and they'd went, then okay.  Also, MIL and SIL do not have that kind of relationship, whatsoever.  SIL never comes around, unless she wants a babysitter and if she ever does do anything with MIL, she invites me to join them before MIL even does.  Their relationship is very awkward and they argue a lot when they're alone.  So, they do not usually do things together like that.  That's another reason I found it weird. 

Quoting crzy4mc:

maybe she wanted some mother/daughter time. I wouldnt put too much thought in to it.

crzy4mc
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Well then thats just strange considering you guys have a good relationship. "/

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I maybe would have thought that if MIL hadn't said, "we wanted to ask you to go to lunch..."  If she just didn't say anything, period, and they'd went, then okay.  Also, MIL and SIL do not have that kind of relationship, whatsoever.  SIL never comes around, unless she wants a babysitter and if she ever does do anything with MIL, she invites me to join them before MIL even does.  Their relationship is very awkward and they argue a lot when they're alone.  So, they do not usually do things together like that.  That's another reason I found it weird. 

Quoting crzy4mc:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Yeah, MIL are I are far closer than she is to either of her DDs.  They've both just been horrible to her, in the past.  If it wasn't for my nephew, I doubt MIL and SIL would even speak to each other.  They had nothing to do with each other for a while before he was born.  MIL never excludes me from anything.  She invites me to literally everything she does, except the bathroom, lol!  In recent weeks, we have not done a lot together, though.

Quoting crzy4mc:

Well then thats just strange considering you guys have a good relationship. "/

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting crzy4mc:

kameronsmommy08
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Just ask her if you have done anything to upset her? Maybe she is having her own perosnal issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN