Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

They give out WIC like candy these days?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
  • 117 Replies
After reading a ton of formula related posts on CM lately it seems like almost everyone has WIC.

I feel like one of the few people who actually pay for formula.

I don't even come close to qualifying (not that I would try) but seriously, they increase the income cap or what? I don't even know what it is anymore.

Does anyone out there actually fork over actual CASH for formula?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseBlossom
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:11 AM

i was on wic for almost all of my kids because i qualified. however i knew it was supplemental and had to buy my own when wic ran out. but i knew women who went in there and were like aint you gonna give me more? i mean he eats all the time and formula is expensive! the wic ladies just looked at them and were like, you do know this is just to help you out, not pay for everything?

mom2priceboys
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 AM
9 moms liked this

I wish they had a WIC program for teenage boys lol they can drink a gallon of milk each in one sitting (not that I let them)

LiliM
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 AM

I never got WIC.

I couponed, and bargain shopped.

Wally has an organic formula that is almost exactly like several of the name brands.  Granted, I didn't need formula all the time, because I BF for a year, but I was also working, and pumping was not as successful as I'd hoped.  So there was some supplementing. 

The Wally organic was reasonable.  But I signed up for every baby site I could with my email I save for that kind of shit to get coupons.

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Nope. I breastfed.

DayDreamer1201
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:13 AM
I had wic as a single mom working part time at wendys because that was all I could find ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM

No, I do not believe they are handing out WIC like candy these days. Many people are on WIC for various reasons. I was not on WIC. Not because I wouldn't have qualified at the time, because I would have. My milk was free. There are a lot of people out there that are hurting. People are losing their jobs without warning. The area I'm in is very bad. Industries are shipping off to other states and other countries. And yes, there are people who abuse the system. But for the people out there that really need it, I don't see anything wrong with it. Everything is more expensive these days.

becky1109
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

dont use formula

NyiaBaby216
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM
I had wic with DD, but with DS, nope. We used cash.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
becky1109
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:16 AM

wic isnt just for formula though, they give women wic for children to ages 5- for milk, cheese, eggs, juice, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, and cereal, also pregnant women get it as well to ensure the baby has nutrition if the mother needs it

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Anonymously
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured