Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who Thinks They had a Rotten Childhood?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What would have made it better?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM

I had a terrible childhood :-(  No details here...but yeah, it was bad.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM
I don't think it was rotten it sucked sometimes but rotten to me indicates serious abuse or abandonment. I think my mom should have tried harder to work on her marriage and should have gotten custody of us, but hindsight is 20/20. She didn't know my dad was going to become severely depressed. My dad was verbally abusive at times, but it still wasn't rotten. I try to keep most of it behind me if I can, but its taken me a long time to ge able to do that. They all did what they thought was best at the time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:09 AM

When I was a kid, we were disceplined for causing trouble. Some of our punishment were not fun (what is a punishment for? To punish!) and those of us that were smart avoided punishment by behaving ourselves. We were not beaten, we were not starved, we were not hurt in any way. We were spanked on occassion, once my dad reached back into the back seat and smacked my leg harder than he meant to. He apologised, and I knew he meant he really was sorry. We were well fed, had a lot of toys, played together, had involved parents, had a lot of love, and were generally very happy. I remember very few times being punished for things, because I was generally a good kid.

If you were to ask my sister about our childhood, she would remember every punishment as "humiliating" (for example, once she yanked on a cousin's hair at a family party, she was 10, the cousin was 2, and our dad made her say she was sorry on her knees. He knew she WASN'T sorry, so he wanted her to feel like sh*t in one way for hurting a baby. Not a great punishment for most kids, but it sure worked for her), she would rememer getting sent to bed without dinner once (for spitting at our grandmother!! Oddly, she doesn't remember THAT part) as her being "starved". She now thinks that having her kids say they are sorry is the worst punishment she can give them. As a result, her kids are little sh*ts because all they will ever have to do is pretend to be sorry. She gives her kids whatever food they want whenever they want it, and they are all already overweight. Her DS is 9 and weighs 120 pounds. He can't do stairs without gasping for breath.

I would do some of the things my parents did differently, but I think they did a very good job for the amount of sh*t they had to put up with. What would have made it better is possibly making more money so my dad wasn't as stressed out and could have been around more.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Time for our favorite game! Who had the shuttiest childhood!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Not being beaten or verbally/emotionally abused. Having a mentally sound mother who doesn't cover up her brother molesting me and who wouldn't drown my pet hamster in the sink. You know, things like that....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Mine was good. I think when I was real little, like 4 and under I did because my parents were going through a divorce and some things happened to me at that time. But after that, and once my dad adopted me, I think it was great.

LittlePistol87
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM
A different set of parents. My mom is a two faced Christian who thinks she knows everything and treats me like a black sheep. And my dad was a work a holic grease monkey who didn't do drugs but took us around my step mothers family who had no problems doing it in front of us or with us after he died when I was a teenager.
Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
My childhood was great until my parents divorced. It was a nasty divorce. Had both...or either parent sit me down and talk about it, maybe things would have been better. All mom did was ask "what do you think about me and your father divorcing?". I said "ok!" and continued playing. I had no idea what a divorce was. Dad moved out the next day while I was in school.
mary841108
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM

not me lol dh makes fun of me for my pampered childhood as he called it. i didnt have to do anything but keep up my grades, my mom & dad bought me whatever i wanted, i was the first in my class to get a cell phone, i was the first to get my own car. my mom and dad even though they were divorced still worked as a team (the first few years after the divorce were hard on my dad and he stayed away unless we called him, he's still a bit tore up about it and its been 20 years) my mom used to let me have tons of friends over and our house was the place to be. in the fall, you would walk into the florida room and get hit with the smell of apples, walk in and mom would be making apple crisp and apple jelly omg it was so good lol. i'm actually glad i had a great childhood and those memories because my mother is now in a nursing home and she has no memories of me at all. dementia is a bitch.

Kool_Aide
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I did not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN