Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should the nanny or the parents know more about the child's school work?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies
I am a full time nanny and the oldest is now in first grade and the one thing that really grates me is her parents refuse to do any sort of homework/school work with her. I have no problem helping her with homework and I do consider that part of my job but they need to be involved too. She needs extra practice with her spelling words and she is supposed to read 7 hours a week. I only see her 2.5 hours a day and I hate that we spend the entire time doing homework because if we don't it won't get done.

They have no clue what she's learning at school because they leave every bit of it up to me.

Am I really out of line expecting them to go over her spelling words with her and letting her read to them as well? Bedtime to me would be a perfect time to have her read to them and neither one does that.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM
BUMP!
momofa24m29
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM
They need to be involved so they know what the teacher is talking about should the teacher call the parents.
You might want to have a talk with the parents about how you feel. You are the nanny not the tutor. I babysat for 8 years and didn't help with homework unless the parents were stumped on how to do it.
southernwldchld
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM

In my opinion, her parents should be on top of what she's doing in school. Their opinion may be, they pay you to do the afterschool stuff.

When I was 19, I was flabbergasted that my bf's mom didn't check her elementary kids backpack every night. My backpack was my mother's property in my house. She checked it every night when I was younger. 

I homeschool, so that's about as on top of their education as I can get.

1CopaceticMama
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Since you are hired help how you feel is unfortunately irrelevant. Yes I definitely feel that they should be involved more but it would be out of line saying anything. If it really bothers you I would suggest finding a different family to nanny for.
nannymcnina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:29 AM

That depends on what you were hired for and the job expectations. Before you take any job it's your duty to make sure expectations are clear- or if your role changes sit down and hash out the details of what the expectations are for the new role.

I've had families say to me in the interview they need 'basic' household tasks done- then wanted me to clean their garage and shovel their driveways- not exactly loading the dishwasher. Now I get a written list of expectations before I take a position of exactly what is expected and where duties lie. Mostly- you need to talk to them and see what their opinion is of the situation. Talk to them and see what role they see you having in the child's education and if you don't agree you need to tell them so.

I've had many parents want me to do the homework so when they came home they got to spend those precious 2 hours before bed having quality time with the kids. I'm also a trained educator so going into new positions it's usually laid out that this will be my domain- but I keep notes of how the kids are doing and where they need improvement so the parents know how we're progressing and can give input even though they're not there. I doubt it's that they don't care- rather it's something that has shifted to the bottom of the priority list. Communicate, communicate, communicate!!!

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I'm shocked at her homework load for a first grader. When I did after school care, parents expected me to do their homework with them so they could feed them and spend quality time before bed. I think you are overreacting.

nannymcnina
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

1CopaceticMamaI completely disagree with you. It's not at all out of line to ask your employer what your role is and what their expectations are. Just because your being paid doesn't mean it's automatically your job- especially if it's not what you were hired to do. It's a case where both sides need to come together and find resolution- if that resolution is that you can't see eye to eye then by all means move on. However, letting this brew or quitting without giving resolution a chance is irresponsible. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured