Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do dead beats

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
Actually go to jail for not paying child support? I hear so many stories about how the dead beat owes thousands of dollars and I wonder how it got that way, without him paying the consequences. I'm going to court tomorrow for a contempt case with my ex and he doesn't think anything will happen. He hasn't even attempt to pay anything and they gave him 3 months to come up with the money before our court date tomorrow. He owes about 3 grand now. My ex someone convinced his job to pay him under the table 3 months after cs was ordered. I want to hear stories about the dead beats that paid the consequences so I can have a little hope.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM

My ex-husband is behind in child support and alimony and has not paid his portion of our child's medical bills. He has also not provided medical insurance for our daughter like he was ordered to do. He thinks he will waltz in there and get his way and nothing will be done about what he owes "because he does not have the money to pay me". I am not sure what will happen but I don't see it fully going his way either.

Rileyscute
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My ex went to jail 3 times for contempt on CS. This was awhile ago though

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:54 PM
How long ago was cs ordered?

Quoting KyliesMom5:

My ex-husband is behind in child support and alimony and has not paid his portion of our child's medical bills. He has also not provided medical insurance for our daughter like he was ordered to do. He thinks he will waltz in there and get his way and nothing will be done about what he owes "because he does not have the money to pay me". I am not sure what will happen but I don't see it fully going his way either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM
how long did he stay in jail? And is he paying regularly now?

Quoting Rileyscute:

nataliesmom2012
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM

It all depends on what state you're in. My XH is behind a few thousand dollars to his child's mother and instead of sending him to jail, they lowered his CS payments from $250/month to $80/month.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Does your ex see your child?

almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I'm in NC & they do send people to jail for not paying child support.  I really don't get it.  If you're in jail, you're obviously not going to be able to pay child support & once you get out of jail, it's going to be harder to find a job...so, again no child support.  I think it makes more sense to garnish wages.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM
They can go to jail, yes. My XF & I were actually driving home one night & he got pulled over because the cop thought he ran the stop sign. He actually knew the cop, they went to school together, & was going to let him go until it came back he had a warrant out for non-payment. THAT was an interesting night. That was in Illinois too.

In Indiana, apparently not because my DH's XW hasn't paid one damn cent towards hers & she has yet to be picked up for it. I believe the other party has to alert the court system that a court order is being ignored before a warrant is issued.
Rileyscute
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Not very long any of the times..his mother bailed him out by paying a percentage of arrearages..once it was almost 8000 dollars. He did start paying it regularly after she was 14 or 15 (last time he was in jail)...BUT the month she turned 18, the state only collected for themselves..he was still in arrearage..but the state claimed it was owed to them for collecting it and prosecuting him all those years

(weird on my font there..and now my font is correct)

Quoting Anonymous:

how long did he stay in jail? And is he paying regularly now?

Quoting Rileyscute:

breebree04
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Im in MI and they do throw them in jail and suspend their drivers license if they are too far behind. Also I had a cousin whos ex worked under the table so he could lie about working and how much he made so the judge ordered him to get a job (attend a work shop to help find him a job) with a regular paycheck so they could garnish his wages.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN