Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does vulgar language show a lack of intelligence? EDIT, one more question...

Posted by   + Show Post

My grandmother always says that the main reason some people swear is because their vocabulary is not advanced enough to come up with an intelligent thought and express it clearly.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Just curious, do you also swear in your home? In front of your children? *TO* your children? "Clean your damn room" etc??

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Replies (121-130):
lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Quoting Junesmommy18:

But really, no. I don't think that's correct. Some of the smartest people I've met say fuck on a daily basis. Intelligent people aren't immune to cursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM
C-R-E-E-P-Y!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Time.

Quoting kidlover2:

At this point I'm just responding to all of your quotes, so to accuse me of taking it personally is ironic. Yes I swear and I kiss my children. I'm not sure how it's related.... I also give my SO bjs. Now there is some food for thought.

Quoting Amiehart62:

You kiss your kids with that mouth?!

not to mention I didn't say I never swear. But it's kind of funny how personal you are taking this.

Quoting kidlover2:

Yes.... because I always use correct grammar and punctuation when I converse with cm mothers like yourself. Nope. I'm surprised that such an obviously educated and proper woman like yourself would willingly choose to communicate with us vile heathens that would dare to use improper punctuation and curse words. Maybe you need to go f#*k thyself and find a better environment for your lily white morals and mind.

Quoting Anonymous:

Being on my phone makes it kind of annoying to be a nazi about punctuation...but thanks for proving OPs point.

Quoting kidlover2:

But I learned in college English class that wordiness and run-on sentences are very undesirable. So I disagree with your ignorant and prejudiced statement regarding the intelligence of a vulgar person, can quickly be fixed to, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT WHAT YOU SAY, YOU MORON! .... My college professor loves me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think in younger people it does I think when educated people cuss they're just too lazy to use a better word.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Why did my opinion bother you so much? Seriously. It's not like I don't swear and it's not like I go around saying neener neener neener you're stupid for saying fuck.

Fact is most of the time people can find a less offensive word.

Unless they're trying to intentionally hurt someone's feelings...

Quoting kidlover2:

All of what? And I don't promise anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

All if them? You promise?

Quoting kidlover2:

At this point I'm just responding to all of your quotes, so to accuse me of taking it personally is ironic. Yes I swear and I kiss my children. I'm not sure how it's related.... I also give my SO bjs. Now there is some food for thought.

Quoting Amiehart62:

not to mention I didn't say I never swear. But it's kind of funny how personal you are taking this.

Quoting kidlover2:

Yes.... because I always use correct grammar and punctuation when I converse with cm mothers like yourself. Nope. I'm surprised that such an obviously educated and proper woman like yourself would willingly choose to communicate with us vile heathens that would dare to use improper punctuation and curse words. Maybe you need to go f#*k thyself and find a better environment for your lily white morals and mind.

Quoting Anonymous:

Being on my phone makes it kind of annoying to be a nazi about punctuation...but thanks for proving OPs point.

Quoting kidlover2:

But I learned in college English class that wordiness and run-on sentences are very undesirable. So I disagree with your ignorant and prejudiced statement regarding the intelligence of a vulgar person, can quickly be fixed to, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT WHAT YOU SAY, YOU MORON! .... My college professor loves me.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think in younger people it does I think when educated people cuss they're just too lazy to use a better word.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I'm creepy and you're mean. Are we even now?

Quoting kidlover2:

C-R-E-E-P-Y!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Time.

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Amiehart62:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I agree, and no I rarely swear at all.

kidlover2
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM
What exactly about my completely facetious comments would give you the impression that I'm bothered? I personally use swear words for entertainment value like calling my bff a fuckface. I give you permission to use swear words for whatever suits your fancy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why did my opinion bother you so much? Seriously. It's not like I don't swear and it's not like I go around saying neener neener neener you're stupid for saying fuck.

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Amiehart62:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I curse like a sailor. I'd love to quit (and I'm trying) because it's gotten out of hand. Quitting smoking was easier, honestly.
kidlover2
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM
I didn't realize this was a contest so in light of this new evidence...I vote you still win on the creepy level.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm creepy and you're mean. Are we even now?

Quoting kidlover2:

C-R-E-E-P-Y!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Time.

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Amiehart62:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

annelauer
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
There could be any number of instances. Here's an "extreme" one. Let's say you're at a biker bar. You are looking to make a friend or understand more about that culture. Everyone around you is using curse words. In order to show solidarity and that you respect their culture, it is perfectly appropriate to curse.

A less "extreme" example: You sick up for a friend in some situation. Your friend responds by turning to you and saying, "I effing love you". In order not to leave her hanging and not to come across as having a superiority complex, it would be appropriate to return the compliment with an, "I effing love you too", even if that is uncharacteristic language for you.

Language use is always situational. I was at a bar in a cowboy town with a population of 100. I was having a beer with the locals and things were going fine until I pointed to a beer I suspected was mine and asked, "To whom does this beer belong?". Grammatically that is the proper way to phrase that question. It was not, however, situationally appropriate. I lost rapport with that group and was no longer accepted within it. I made them feel uncomfortable because I did not speak appropriately for that situation. Whether it's grammar or adjective choice, cursing or words with religious symbolism, words can unite or divide people. If cursing saves face or creates solidarity, it's actually more appropriate, more polite and shows more intelligence to do it.

Quoting Anonymous:

For instance? Please:)

Quoting annelauer:

But if the word is not offensive to a particular audience, how is another word any better? In fact, a "bad" word could be the right thing to say to make someone more comfortable. It is situational.

Quoting Anonymous:

Any word that is not offensive is always better than a word that is.

Quoting annelauer:

What makes a word "better"?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Entertainment is one thing. We swear for our entertainment but not in everyday conversations. I guess I don't want my kids saying those words. My mind has changed about swearing.

It doesn't bother me when people swear and it's not my business. Maybe ill loosen up;)

Quoting kidlover2:

What exactly about my completely facetious comments would give you the impression that I'm bothered? I personally use swear words for entertainment value like calling my bff a fuckface. I give you permission to use swear words for whatever suits your fancy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Amiehart62:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kidlover2:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)