Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think Fifty Shades of Grey and books like it should be locked away so kids can't buy them?

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 215 Replies

Judge Orders '50 Shades of Grey' Be Taken Off Bookshelves & Treats Moms Like They're Stupid

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 23, 2013

Fifty Shades of Grey trilogyEver since Fifty Shades of Grey arrived to rescue moms everywhere from vanilla sex, there's been a raging debate over whether moms should let their kids read the books. Not sure how you feel? Well, a judge doesn't really care what you think! Judge Raphael Queiroz Campos does not want kids reading the naughty novels, and he's ordered every copy of the novel off bookstore shelves!

So much for letting parents be parents, huh?

The Brazilian judge was apparently at a bookstore recently when he caught some young whippersnappers paging through E.L. James' books. Horrified, Campos went straight to the bench to issue an edict that now has the best selling books locked up so no one under age 18 can get a hold of them when they hit the store.

As a mom, I'm more than a little offended. This judge is treating parents like we're toddlers, unable to decide what their kids are reading.

Shouldn't it be my right to decide when and if my kid is ready to meet the likes of Christian Grey and his ben-wa balls? She's my kid!

More From The Stir: '50 Shades of Grey' Reviewed By a No-Holds-Barred Teenager Will Make You Blush

Right now, she's 7. It's a firm no way in hell are you learning about nipple clamps! But as she gets older, who knows? If the Fifty Shades phenomenon is still going strong and she expresses an interest, it's better that I'm here for her to ask questions, right? Rather than having to sneak around with it? I'd probably be pretty on board, provided we can have an open and honest heart-to-heart.

Either way, I'm the mom; I decide. I don't need no stinkin' judge telling me what my kid can and can't read before she's 18.

Do you think Fifty Shades of Grey and books like it should be locked away so kids can't buy them?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No
IansMommy2012
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
6 moms liked this
I think they should have to be 16 or older to purchase the books. Some things should not e for small children's eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I agree

Quoting IansMommy2012:

I think they should have to be 16 or older to purchase the books. Some things should not e for small children's eyes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alibrezzy154
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Yeah I don't think 18 or older more like 16.
OliviasMommy611
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hootowl21
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
11 moms liked this
Ugh I would be happy if that dumb poorly written book was never published.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amybarnhart11
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Well they have tried that with adult movies and magazines and you see how well that works! I honestly think it is a waste of time to try to regulate things like this, because one way or another if kids want it they will get it! If parents do not want their children exposed to such things then they have to take charge and make sure the kids don't gain access to this type of adult material! JMO!

weaveress
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

no. i don't believe in censorship. if they wanted to try and read it i would let them. 

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:08 PM

lol, no

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)