Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Leon Panetta is removing the military's ban on women serving in combat, opening hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war.

The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta's decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.

A senior military official says the services will develop plans for allowing women to seek the combat positions. Some jobs may open as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer.

Panetta's move expands the Pentagon's action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.

In recent years the necessities of war propelled women into jobs as medics, military police and intelligence officers that were sometimes attached — but not formally assigned — to units on the front lines.

any thoughts on this ?

anyone think this is a bad idea ? if so why ?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Replies (101-110):
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Ok, I think that may be the difference. I have heard from someone else on here before that the Army let's women walk out because of pregnancy. The women that I was friends with were not able to get out for simply being single mothers or dual military couples. They had to prove extreme hardship and mental instability.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

That wasn't the question. I asked you how was it not an option. And you can't compare a broken arm to being a parent. No, you can't get out of your contract for breaking your arm, you can get out of your contract if you get pregnant. Single parent or a dual military parent have the option to leave the service-at least in the army they do. I know because I have 1 of both in my platoon. 1 single parent getting chaptered, 1 dual military getting chaptered. Now, if you do not mind, tell me how either choice of getting out or staying in wasn't an option for you.

Quoting MissTuree:

You're under contract. It would be like a man being able to skip out on his contract judt because he broke his arm.

Quoting Anonymous:

How was it not an option?

Quoting MissTuree:

Not exactly true. In some times of service this may be a possibility, but it certainly was NOT an option when I was in the situation. Not that I was trying to get out but friends of mine that were pregnant at the same time tried and failed.

Quoting Anonymous:

She has the option to leave or to stay. It's all up to her.

Quoting forgottenluv:

this might sound like a stupid question , but if a woman gets pregnant  can she leave the military or does she have to  go back to duty after baby is born?

sorry i have no clue how all that works

Quoting Anonymous:

If that's what they want to do, have at it. All I know is if they get into it, they'd better hack it. None of this "I'm gonna get pregnant" nonsense. You wanted the job, you got it, now do it.

And BTW, I want no parts in it. I have not a single desire to be in combat arms.

CupcakeLuv
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I understand that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't mean to attack just inform.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Okay. I'm not in all so clearly I was speaking on the one that I'm in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not on all branches.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting forgottenluv:

this might sound like a stupid question , but if a woman gets pregnant  can she leave the military or does she have to  go back to duty after baby is born?

Quoting Anonymous:

If that's what they want to do, have at it. All I know is if they get into it, they'd better hack it. None of this "I'm gonna get pregnant" nonsense. You wanted the job, you got it, now do it.

And BTW, I want no parts in it. I have not a single desire to be in combat arms.

Diva-Mami
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I enjoy letting a man do certain jobs, that being one of them. But its not me who has to be out there. If thats what those women want to do, I wish them well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CupcakeLuv
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Then those women didn't know their rights and didn't research because that's apart of being counseled. You are given the option to either stay or get chaptered.

Quoting MissTuree:

Ok, I think that may be the difference. I have heard from someone else on here before that the Army let's women walk out because of pregnancy. The women that I was friends with were not able to get out for simply being single mothers or dual military couples. They had to prove extreme hardship and mental instability.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

That wasn't the question. I asked you how was it not an option. And you can't compare a broken arm to being a parent. No, you can't get out of your contract for breaking your arm, you can get out of your contract if you get pregnant. Single parent or a dual military parent have the option to leave the service-at least in the army they do. I know because I have 1 of both in my platoon. 1 single parent getting chaptered, 1 dual military getting chaptered. Now, if you do not mind, tell me how either choice of getting out or staying in wasn't an option for you.

Quoting MissTuree:

You're under contract. It would be like a man being able to skip out on his contract judt because he broke his arm.

Quoting Anonymous:

How was it not an option?

Quoting MissTuree:

Not exactly true. In some times of service this may be a possibility, but it certainly was NOT an option when I was in the situation. Not that I was trying to get out but friends of mine that were pregnant at the same time tried and failed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting forgottenluv:

Quoting Anonymous:

forgottenluv
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM

BUMP!

Sweets32285
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM

lol that's what I ment.  My mind is gone today. 

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Quoting Sweets32285:

I have no problem with it. The Marine Corps is changing their fitness stuff too. Women will have to do push-ups starting next year.

Women have always had to do push ups. It is PULL UPS they will now be required to do.

forgottenluv
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM

is there other things that the men had to do and the women did not ?

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Women have always had to do push ups. It is PULL UPS they will now be required to do.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:05 PM

They each have to also do a run and sit-ups, but the times are less for women and they are required to do less situps compared to the men also.

Quoting forgottenluv:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

forgottenluv
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

thanks . im clueless when it comes to all that stuff ,

so i would think if they want to be treated like a man as far as jobs then they should have all the same testing

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

They each have to also do a run and sit-ups, but the times are less for women and they are required to do less situps compared to the men also.

Quoting forgottenluv:

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

kaffedrikke
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I say let them have their own seperate infantry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)