Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Leon Panetta is removing the military's ban on women serving in combat, opening hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war.

The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta's decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.

A senior military official says the services will develop plans for allowing women to seek the combat positions. Some jobs may open as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer.

Panetta's move expands the Pentagon's action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.

In recent years the necessities of war propelled women into jobs as medics, military police and intelligence officers that were sometimes attached — but not formally assigned — to units on the front lines.

any thoughts on this ?

anyone think this is a bad idea ? if so why ?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Replies (121-130):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Exactly. I'm with you. There are so many reasons why this is not a good idea. I'm sure for reasons I can't even think of. But I know MY limits and I am certainly not a man. Again, like the old slogan said let the woman be "all she can be" but she will find she has her limits. Lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Right. But I also hope that the military is prepared for the possible rise in sexual assaults/sexual assault claims. You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm coming up with reasons why it shouldn't happen. But still, if they want to and can then so be it. I just don't want to be apart of it, lol. Tell me I have to go be combat arms, guess I'll be PCSing to Ft. Livingroom. I'll pass on that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yah I agree with you. If Jane can physically do what Joe can do, then let her ass do it if she wants to. But reality check will kick in for the rest- they just can't. There will be a lot of  "Rear D, here I come". Or something else. This will be interesting tho. And that is shitty about the dual mil thing. Smh.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh please. These women SAY they want to be equal across the board but plenty of them don't really mean it. You might have a few bad asses that can actually do what's required of them but most of them can't physically perform on the same level as a man. That's just truth.

Interesting side note- I am watching HLN and this just came across the screen and I pulled it off of CNN.

50% higher than the national average?! Those of us who have had anything to do with the military know that there are some women who will intentionally get pregnant to avoid deployment. The article reads "unplanned" but I know for the most part that isn't true. Women know what they are doing...We need to be careful about what we ask for. They may just give us so much rope to hang ourselves. If we are going to be equal in every situation we may one day end up in non segregated prisons. Can you imagine women trying to survive in those? We all should know our lanes. Women don't belong in the mens.

Yes ma'am. Though I believe if the woman can do it, let her. But then again, the whole pregnancy thing does raise a lot of questions for me. I know more women who have gone on deployments and didn't get pregnant than those who did. But still, those few are proof that these devil women do exist. It's so annoying and not fair when you have dual military couples or single parents that leave their kids but this 1 woman can't find it in her heart to leave hers she ups and gets pregnant, still collecting a paycheck, still back in garrison in the comfort of her home, complaining. Really annoys me because it is not fair to those of us who leave ours. Pisses me off actually.

Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Well aren't you a ray of sunshine? My ex husband committed suicide from supposed PTSD almost two years after returning from Iraq. I still stand by my belief. Also because women have things such as periods and they tend to be emotional raging bitches as well as being physically weaker than men. I don't care what kind of feminist stance you take on women's equality, I don't think women should be on the front line. Thanks for your lovely comments but opinions are like assholes, we all have them :)

Quoting 1likeme:

Quoting Tooth_Inspector:

Right because men never go to combat and develop PTSD. Men also never get injured while in combat. Men never commit suicide during and after their military service. It's mind boggling to me that anyone would claim that men are better equipped to deal with combat situation than women. If that were true then men would come back mentally sound and emotionally stable.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I don't feel that it's a good idea and here is why;

1.) What happens when the women gets her period out in the field? She will be unable to take care of her needs.

2.) What about the higher risk of infections when the woman is unable to shower and clean her private area properly.

3.) A man will probably feel more emotions toward a woman and take bigger risks to save her than a man.

4.) If a man gets captured, think of the horrible torture that he goes through, now think of the torture that will be used against a woman. She will be brutally and mercilessly raped to try to gain info.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Yep. 4 good reasons right there. 

Last year my husband had to have a conversation with a female soldier about her "personal hygiene".  He said it was the most uncomfortable and embarrassing conversation he has ever had. He didn't want to do it but there weren't any other females around to address it.

When we were younger and stationd at Ft. Irwin he would talk about women trying to get out of things because of menstrual cramps. I'm not saying some women don't have nasty cramps because I understand it- trust. But your list could go on and on.

And you're right. We are more susceptible to infections. Oh my goodness....

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't feel that it's a good idea and here is why;

1.) What happens when the women gets her period out in the field? She will be unable to take care of her needs.

2.) What about the higher risk of infections when the woman is unable to shower and clean her private area properly.

3.) A man will probably feel more emotions toward a woman and take bigger risks to save her than a man.

4.) If a man gets captured, think of the horrible torture that he goes through, now think of the torture that will be used against a woman. She will be brutally and mercilessly raped to try to gain info.

1likeme
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Quoting Tooth_Inspector:

People like you make me laugh. Your stance is based on faulty logic and when that's pointed out you resort to indignation claiming you were personally attacked by insisting a generalized statement is a personal attack of your experience. Toss in a few insinuations about character flaws and intelligence and whala you think you believe you have "won the debate". You are sexist and it is pretty sad that you feel the way you do about anyone.

Women throughout the world (including those in our military) have already proven that your beliefs are based in sexist rhetoric and false.
kris1stbaby
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Quoting MissTuree:

I've never known anyone who didn't get approved to get out when pregnant. Any idea why they weren't?
Tooth_Inspector
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM
When did I say my opinion was based on faulty logic? It was just what I stated it to be, an opinion. You don't necessarily need logic to form an opinion. When did I say you personally attacked me? I informed you I was we'll aware of what our military MEN experience with war as I've been there, I didn't feel the least bit attacked nor did I mention that I did. I never said I won the debate either lol I said it was an opinion of mine that you couldn't change and that you had your own. Are you quoting the right person because you aren't even collaborating with my reply here. And if I'm sexist, that would be my decision wouldn't it? It's sad I feel anything for anyone? Just because two people can't agree my whole life is meaningless? I'm not sure how long you've been on cafemom but people rarely agree here, you are going to have to figure out how to cope...

Quoting 1likeme:

Quoting Tooth_Inspector:

People like you make me laugh. Your stance is based on faulty logic and when that's pointed out you resort to indignation claiming you were personally attacked by insisting a generalized statement is a personal attack of your experience. Toss in a few insinuations about character flaws and intelligence and whala you think you believe you have "won the debate". You are sexist and it is pretty sad that you feel the way you do about anyone.

Women throughout the world (including those in our military) have already proven that your beliefs are based in sexist rhetoric and false.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTuree
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

For one I think it's important to specify the branch. I was in the Marine Corps, it seems as if other branches are more lenient. Also the time frame makes a big difference, this was in 2003-2004 when there was a push to get more numbers, so people weren't let out so easily. Other than that the women were not able to prove that they were crazy so they weren't allowed out. Which then also would've involved them getting an OTH which isn't looked highly upon. It very well could've been the command that I was with as well. But I don't think it was only the command because I have NEVER heard of a female being able to get out for being pregnant. (In the Corps at least)

Quoting kris1stbaby:

Quoting MissTuree:

I've never known anyone who didn't get approved to get out when pregnant. Any idea why they weren't?

MissTuree
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM

MCO 5000.12E

b. A pregnant servicewoman may voluntarily request separation; however,
the request will normally be denied unless there are extenuating
circumstances (which the servicewoman can substantiate by demonstrating
overriding or compelling factors of personal need) or there are extraordinary
circumstances of a humanitarian nature that exist. Reference (q) pertains.

I was curious on an actual Marine Corps Order, this is what one of my gf's found. (I'm out now so I refuse to look up any MCO's anymore! lol)

Quoting kris1stbaby:

Quoting MissTuree:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:48 PM
It also depends on if you will have income after you separate. A friend of mine was denied because she had no means to support her child. Also, tri care will still cover you after you seperate for the appointments and delivery as long as you don't need special/emergency treatment.

Quoting forgottenluv:

oh ok

Quoting Anonymous:

She has the option to leave or to stay. It's all up to her.

Quoting forgottenluv:

this might sound like a stupid question , but if a woman gets pregnant  can she leave the military or does she have to  go back to duty after baby is born?

sorry i have no clue how all that works

Quoting Anonymous:

If that's what they want to do, have at it. All I know is if they get into it, they'd better hack it. None of this "I'm gonna get pregnant" nonsense. You wanted the job, you got it, now do it.

And BTW, I want no parts in it. I have not a single desire to be in combat arms.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN