Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Leon Panetta is removing the military's ban on women serving in combat, opening hundreds of thousands of front-line positions and potentially elite commando jobs after more than a decade at war.

The groundbreaking move recommended by the Joint Chiefs of Staff overturns a 1994 rule prohibiting women from being assigned to smaller ground combat units. Panetta's decision gives the military services until January 2016 to seek special exceptions if they believe any positions must remain closed to women.

A senior military official says the services will develop plans for allowing women to seek the combat positions. Some jobs may open as soon as this year. Assessments for others, such as special operations forces, including Navy SEALS and the Army's Delta Force, may take longer.

Panetta's move expands the Pentagon's action nearly a year ago to open about 14,500 combat positions to women, nearly all of them in the Army. This decision could open more than 230,000 jobs, many in Army and Marine infantry units, to women.

In recent years the necessities of war propelled women into jobs as medics, military police and intelligence officers that were sometimes attached — but not formally assigned — to units on the front lines.

any thoughts on this ?

anyone think this is a bad idea ? if so why ?

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Replies (91-100):
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Tell that to my unit. The hardly did anything by the book. When i got pregnant, they refused to let me go to pregnancy pt and they made me break profile a few times

Quoting JenB1983:

Uh, then your unit was fucked up. A unit can't override an army regulation like that.

Quoting armyvet06:

Neither am i. Everyone i knew was required to finish their term.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

NO she does not. AR 600-20:

(4) Using DA Form 5304 as soon as pregnancy is identified but not later than 90 days prior to the expected date of

birth of the child. Pregnant Soldiers should receive Family care plan counseling at the time of pregnancy counseling to

ensure the Soldier is informed of the responsibilities if she chooses to remain on AD.

I know what I'm talking about. I'm not new to this army thing.

Quoting armyvet06:

No she has to finish out her term. At least, that is how the army is.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

No, she doesn't. She can get out.

Quoting 504bbymami:

She has to go back

Quoting forgottenluv:

this might sound like a stupid question , but if a woman gets pregnant  can she leave the military or does she have to  go back to duty after baby is born?

sorry i have no clue how all that works

Quoting Anonymous:

If that's what they want to do, have at it. All I know is if they get into it, they'd better hack it. None of this "I'm gonna get pregnant" nonsense. You wanted the job, you got it, now do it.

And BTW, I want no parts in it. I have not a single desire to be in combat arms.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
armyvet06
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I entered in 2006. But my unit was fucked up and hardly did anything by the book.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

When were you in? 1967? I have been in for a minute and it's always been like that. Always.

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

(4) Using DA Form 5304 as soon as pregnancy is identified but not later than 90 days prior to the expected date of

birth of the child. Pregnant Soldiers should receive Family care plan counseling at the time of pregnancy counseling to

ensure the Soldier is informed of the responsibilities if she chooses to remain on AD.

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting 504bbymami:

She has to go back

Quoting forgottenluv:

this might sound like a stupid question , but if a woman gets pregnant  can she leave the military or does she have to  go back to duty after baby is born?

Quoting Anonymous:

If that's what they want to do, have at it. All I know is if they get into it, they'd better hack it. None of this "I'm gonna get pregnant" nonsense. You wanted the job, you got it, now do it.

And BTW, I want no parts in it. I have not a single desire to be in combat arms.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Oh hell no.  I would've been calling IG.

Quoting armyvet06:

Tell that to my unit. The hardly did anything by the book. When i got pregnant, they refused to let me go to pregnancy pt and they made me break profile a few times

Quoting JenB1983:

Uh, then your unit was fucked up. A unit can't override an army regulation like that.

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting 504bbymami:

She has to go back

Quoting forgottenluv:

Quoting Anonymous:

paknari
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM
I never claimed your husband was a cheater. But he is an idiot for assuming that all women in the military are sluts. That is absolutely untrue but I'm sure he just tells the little lady bs when he gets home.

Quoting Anonymous:

Get over yourself and stop being hateful, my husband doesn't nor has he cheated, you are just a jealous b**** looking for someone to pick at to make yourself feel better about whatever shitty thing happened to you today. And with that note I'm out of here.

Quoting paknari:

What kind of like the men? Sorry but half the married men said the women were slurs because they were sleeping with them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband joined SF BECAUSE no women are allowed, he said 90% of women in the army are sluts, not all, but most. .

So your husbands knows 90% of women in the army? And he's also slept with 90% of women in the army, because if he hasn't he may want to stick to what he knows  and leave the statistics to people with.....you know. Brains.

Of course he doesn't know all of the women, but 90% of the ones he knows, sleep around a lot, especially with deployed comrads, even married ones. When he came home from his last deployment he had to tell one of his BB's wife he had cheated since he refused to come clean to her. He doesn't sleep around, we are Mormon so he is extremely conservative, so maybe that is why he sees them all as sluts IDK, but I agree from the women I have met in the military.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vetNmommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

All for it!!! Although it should be equal standards throughout the military, such as pt. I was in the army, women complain about not being treated equally so let's make it equal!

armyvet06
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Yea my unit would have made IG believe them. Hell, I tried to tell my unit that an Iraqi sexually assaulted me, but did they believe? Hell no. They believed his lies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh hell no.  I would've been calling IG.

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting JenB1983:

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting 504bbymami:

She has to go back

Quoting forgottenluv:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:08 PM
K

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Not at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Want a cookie?

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

OK.....

Quoting Anonymous:

not at all. just making sure you werent another close minded dumb fuck.

Quoting Anonymous:

And the same goes for them. However, this post specifically says WOMEN. Maybe you missed that part of the title.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wtf
Men pussy out all the time. Smh

Quoting Anonymous:

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I do not believe women should be confined at all. They should not be limited in the things they want to do in life, especially as a career choice. I think this is awesome.

Exile Island. A fun place with colorful people. 

CupcakeLuv
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I see. Sorry for the rude comment. They should have been given an option.

Quoting armyvet06:

I entered in 2006. But my unit was fucked up and hardly did anything by the book.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

When were you in? 1967? I have been in for a minute and it's always been like that. Always.

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting armyvet06:

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Quoting 504bbymami:

She has to go back

Quoting forgottenluv:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I didn't mean to attack just inform.

Quoting CupcakeLuv:

Okay. I'm not in all so clearly I was speaking on the one that I'm in.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not on all branches.

Quoting Anonymous:

She has the option to leave or to stay. It's all up to her.

Quoting forgottenluv:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)