Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my son thinks he is a puppy

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
My two yo so with autism pretends he is a puppy the only way I get him to listen to me is to speak to him and treat him like a puppy. Saying things like good boy and sit or lay. He pants and barkes eats like a puppy and licks for kisses. Is this normal or should I be worried? ... is autism is not that bad its pretty mild but he is adhd also.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM

My daughter does that, too and she does not have autism. Sounds normal. Sometimes, I am Pocahontas and she is John Smith.

JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
IMO that has more to do with his age. Which IMO is to young to be diagnosed with autisim
beachbabies6
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

my 7 yr old is high functioning autistic , mine would just be doing this for fun , what does it hurt to indulge from time to time ?

JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
Or ADHD a mild case especially
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this
My son did that and cat for a bit. He doesn't have autism. I told him to stop when i wanted him to.
Ollie123
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My oldest dd was puppy too around that age. I think it's just a phase.

Shabbydoll78
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My oldest child, around that same age, Declared herself " Tigerwolfdog". She played the part and I played along. Tigerwolfdog made her appearance off and on for a few years.

Shes 16 now, and perfectly fine. In fact, shes a bit of an overachiever. But very well adjusted. Shes still very imaginative. Only now she expresses it through writing.

I wouldn't worry one bit. A good imagination is a positive thing. Even when they take it pretty far .

Mariah-1987
My 5 yr old loves dogs. She has a whole family of stuffed animal puppys dogs lol And she plays "puppy". Her and her little 2 yr old sister. Neither of them have autism. They just love dogs :)
1CopaceticMama
It is typical but don't encourage it. My daughter thought she was a duck. She had an outright meltdown in the grocery store when I told her she was a little girl and she insisted she was a duck. Now she is 14 and knows she is not a duck lol.
louiegirl62
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

My neice was a horse for about a week during Summer, skipping around and winnying. When I saw her at Christmas she was a puppy eating "dog food" (cheerios) from a bowl on the floor. Last time I talked to my SIL school was more important, and my neice is wearing glasses with no glass in them because she is a teacher now. She is 6 and has no autism, but she was a preemie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured