Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

opinions on children dieting

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
Okay please no bashing - opinions only.

Both of my younger sisters are overweight. The youngest one is severely, weighing about 30 pounds more than me, a grown adult, and she's 9. The other is 10. My mom has pushed them quite a bit the last couple years by trying to make them eat heathly and quit snacking and keep the youngest in sports even though she doesn't really like them. Nothing has helped. My mom kind of overdoes things because she is always working out and doing crazy diets even though she is tiny. So this is a huge deal to her.

Now she has started doing weight watchers, for the whole family. So my younger sisters are coming home and counting there "points" and stressing about what they eat. I know that she is just trying to help them she doesn't want them to have health or self confidence issues. But do you think this is to extreme for two young girls? I just don't want this kind of stuff to hurt them or do the opposite of what she's trying to do, kill their confidence. I don't want to fight with my mom but I'm worried, they already get made fun of from kids at school because of their weight. Am I over reacting? Or do you think I should talk to her about it? I know eating healthy is great, I just don't know if this is the right way.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn't put my girls on weight watchers.  Maybe they could start watching the biggest loser this season because there are kids on it and it is about fighting childhood obesity.  (I know that was a corny suggestion).  It sounds like your mom is doing her best.  I wonder where your sisters are getting the extra food if your mom is buying only healthy stuff - which I assume she is since she's so concerned.

karisma22
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this

She needs to teach them to eat healthy, not put them on a diet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:40 PM

No child should ever "diet" unless under the strict supervision of a doctor.

Teach them to eat right and, hopefully, as they grow, they'll even out with a proper lifestyle.

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think I would have to look at what's worse- Being an overweight child and getting made fun of every single day at school or being an overweight child and having to eat healthy food. I think your mother is doing the right thing by having the whole family on WW and not just the girls. I don't think that would hurt their self-esteem unless they were the only ones on it. Imo, if they are not too young to be 30lbs overweight then they are not too young to worry about eating right. They are at risk for Type 2 diabetes and that is a life long disease, not to mention the other risks that come from being seriously overweight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Its not really unhealthy they just want a baked potato for snack or she will sneak a huge bowl of cereal before dinner. Just stuff like that.. and way larger portion sizes than they should. I hadn't even heard of that show I'll have to find it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I wouldn't put my girls on weight watchers.  Maybe they could start watching the biggest loser this season because there are kids on it and it is about fighting childhood obesity.  (I know that was a corny suggestion).  It sounds like your mom is doing her best.  I wonder where your sisters are getting the extra food if your mom is buying only healthy stuff - which I assume she is since she's so concerned.

Mom2HayTay
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM

That's too much for a child to worry about. If they don't have junk food and sugar snacks at home, then that cuts that out. If they don't take money to school then they can't by cookies and whatnot. If junk is available to kids they will choose chocolate over an apple everytime. I don't think they should be on a "diet" JUst eating good nutritious food that should already be provided in the home. And treats can be for special outings and occasions.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Your mom needs to be teaching healthy food and portion control, not placing them on a diet
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM
I think she's doing the right thing but she should make their lunches and snacks so they don't worry about the points.
teal.blaze
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I think she should just teach them to eat healthy, and cut portions down some, slowly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Okay for those of you answering healthy food not dieting, how should I go about talking to her without making her feel bad?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)