Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why must homework time be hell everyday?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I hate it! My patience is running thin! They have consequences and are great kids normally. Something about homework turns them into devils. They whine, cry, pretend to not know what to do. I know dd is having a hard time. She has missed a lot of school and is behind. I just get so frustrated! Does anyone else have homework issues?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Bump
momof2gingers
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:38 PM
I used to. He finally grew out of it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I did.  Then when I said no electronics/TV/playing until his daily homework is done, and he knows I mean it, he started doing it.  As for whining and crying, he tried that a couple times but I can't hear any whines - I haven't been able to hear whining since he was 2 - nor can I hear manipulative crying.  So he quit that after a couple times.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM

No never. From day 1 I told all of them I expected their homework done each night. I will not hover, keep on top of them etc. If they do not do it they face the consequences at school.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I have never had problems with it but give them some type of incentive for when they finish like a tv. show or game time. Also depending on their age and how much they have you may want to try breaking it up into two shorter sessions of homework. 

jbcmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM

I did. We would wait until the evening time to do it because I figure it would give them time to run out all their energy. I was wrong. They would act like they were tired or not even pay attention. Now as soon as they walk in the door they do their homework. It works so much better this way. Good luck to you. I know how frustrating it can be to get kids to cooperate.

motherinNH
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My daughter was like this at 8,9 & 10. Best advise I got was from her teachers. "You be the mother , let me teach" her. If she is having such a hard time, have her stay in for recess, after school, before school, whatever her teacher will allow. Plus moving her homework time to right after school, while it was still "fresh" in mind, instead of after dinner when her "show" was on. She outgrew it when she relized that her tteacher and I were speaking daily and she could not whine her way out of it anymore. Good Luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)