Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms who cloth diaper

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm 29 weeks and I'm about to buy my cloth diapers. But I'm a little lost on where to start!

Someone gave us about 15 of them that they found in a thrift store. They're all pretty big and need covers. They also have velcro snaps. So I'm thinking I will buy about 10 one size fits all covers for these. Will that be enough? Will I need diaper pins or will the velcro hold?

I also want to buy some one size all in one diapers. How many should I go for and what is your favorite brand?

I'm planning on getting one pack of newborn diapers and one pack the nest size up to use for his first first couple of weeks until I get the hang of things. Do you think this is a good idea?

What do you keep the dirty diapers in before you wash them?

Finally, what do you do when you're traveling? We're going to visit my in-laws when he's 3months (by plane) and we're going to a wedding when he's 5 months (by car)

Thanks ladies!

Oh, one more thing...cloth wipes? Worth it?
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Cannabisaurus
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Bump
starbuckmom03
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Also, there is a board here called Cloth booties or something like that.  Become a member and get a wealth of info!  Also, www.diaperswappers.com is a great place too!

Quoting Cannabisaurus:

I'm 29 weeks and I'm about to buy my cloth diapers. But I'm a little lost on where to start!

Someone gave us about 15 of them that they found in a thrift store. They're all pretty big and need covers. They also have velcro snaps. So I'm thinking I will buy about 10 one size fits all covers for these. Will that be enough? Will I need diaper pins or will the velcro hold? Could you find the name of them and post it here?  That will help me the most.  Also, if it has velcro closure, you won't need pins.

I also want to buy some one size all in one diapers. How many should I go for and what is your favorite brand? There are so many brands out there.  Do you have a budget?  Bum Genius is great.  For the first few months, you will need at least 15 a day to start as babies go through them pretty quickly!

I'm planning on getting one pack of newborn diapers and one pack the nest size up to use for his first first couple of weeks until I get the hang of things. Do you think this is a good idea?  Since I already have preemie prefolds and covers, I won't need the newborn diapers but my friend bought me a box anyways so I will probably use them.  A lot of AIO, all in ones, don't start fitting well till closer to 10-12lbs.

What do you keep the dirty diapers in before you wash them? I have a diaper pail with a liner that I use.  No water needed.  You could just use a 5 gallon bucket or even a bigger garbage can.  You might want to get a liner.  Just google diaper pail liners and you can find lots!

Finally, what do you do when you're traveling? We're going to visit my in-laws when he's 3months (by plane) and we're going to a wedding when he's 5 months (by car)  It depends on your preference when traveling.  Do you want to worry about cloth and washing while flying or take it easy and use sposies, disposables, and then get back into cloth when you get home.  Flying with cloth is a bit trickier than by car.  One cloth diaper system you might want to look into is the Flip system.  You get a cover and then you pick either a stay dry liner, or disposable liner or an organic liner.  Check www.cottonbabies.com for both the Flip system and Bum Genius.

Thanks ladies!

Oh, one more thing...cloth wipes? Worth it?  To be honest, just find a pack of washcloths and use those.  You can find mamas who make cloth wipes in a myriad of styles, material and whatnot but a washcloth will work just as well.  And yes, WELL WORTH IT!!!  It cleans up a babies bottom so much easier than a sposie wipe.

bahamamama61
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Congratulations:) I used cloth diapers, & had a little 'diaper pail' that had a mixture of half gal. of water & half cup of Borax or 'Dreft', or a little bit of baby shampoo in it. And for trips, I occasionally used disposable diapers. You can also get diaper- liners, to help with clean-up. And I Love disposable baby wipes! Also, Corn Starch for any rashes that may pop-up:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cannabisaurus
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Thanks for the tips! ;)

Starbuckmom...is that a Battlestar reference?
starbuckmom03
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Some think so and some think I just like starbuck coffee too much! 

Quoting Cannabisaurus:

Thanks for the tips! ;)

Starbuckmom...is that a Battlestar reference?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN