Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone else have kids who have no common sense?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have to do this anonymously because it hurts to say this but I need help!

My dd is 13 and has no common sense. She lacks logic. Sometimes it's funny because what she is saying sounds "airheaded". Sometimes, like lately, it's frustrating.

I don't know how to help her. My friend suggested buying books for her since she likes to read but browsing through books makes me feel like I'm just insulting my daughter.

Please tell me I'm not alone. Please telle there are ways to help her.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
CuriousArentYa
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Yes! Mine do that also. My kids are 12, 7, 6 and 6. I have to really bite my tongue. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Is that the same as if I can tell her to wear jeans that day and she will come out wearing a skirt, then a dress, then sweats? Because it happened- just when she was younger though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM

DS is 9. He's brilliant when it comes to books and learning and school things. Everyday things I swear he has no common sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM
How old is she?

Everyone here is saying basically there's hope for us. But outsiders even see that my dd just doesn't have common sense. You can notice it :/

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd is the same way! No common sense. If I ask her to pick up her room she will walk back and forth with clothes to a hamper in the living room rather than bring the hamper to her room. She would rather struggle stuffing her feet in tied shoes than untying them from the get go. It irritates me so much! My ds age 3 has more common sense than she does.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM
She just turned nine. God I hope this changes. She's very trusting/gullible too. If you tell her you met George Washington in person she will believe you.

Quoting Anonymous:

How old is she?

Everyone here is saying basically there's hope for us. But outsiders even see that my dd just doesn't have common sense. You can notice it :/

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd is the same way! No common sense. If I ask her to pick up her room she will walk back and forth with clothes to a hamper in the living room rather than bring the hamper to her room. She would rather struggle stuffing her feet in tied shoes than untying them from the get go. It irritates me so much! My ds age 3 has more common sense than she does.

starbuckmom03
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:19 PM

When she comes to you asking a question and needing an answer and you know she could figure it out, don't answer it for her.  Ask questions back that will help her get to her answer.  I do this with my 7yr old ds and it works fairly well.  Look up critical thinking for teens and see if you can find a book or activities that allow your dd to stop and think to get her answers.  There is a site called Critical Thinking company that has workbooks but not sure to what age the books go up to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ugh. Thanks. Lol!!

And my dd is a little bit of a late bloomer lol

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Common sense doesn't come in fully till closer to early 20's.  Hate to break it to you.

NaturesMuse
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM

It's normal.. Most 12-14 year olds have little to no common sense.. it's something that has been the bane of parents for generations..

Seriously, ask your parents and grandparents.. It's mostly a hormonal thing.

I have a 13 year old boy.. and nope.. not a lick of common sense..

-Kris

Super-mom of The Brat Pack! Kriz, DJ, Chy, Chance, Oobie, Itty, and To Be Announced

MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:22 PM

My boys have no common sense.  Ds once decided to try to shoot himself in the leg with an airsoft gun to "see how it felt". Ummm okkkay that seems awful stupid to me son I just TOLD you not to point that gun at anyone...that included you.  Fortunately he wasn't hurt.  The other boy would forget his penis if it wasn't attached to his body.  He's forgotten to close car doors, doors to the house, his homework, and God knows what else...I am trying to teach them.  Some of it I think is lack of experience and some of it is because....they are BOYS.

boys2men2soon
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Actually, it isn't uncommon.   Many highly intelligent people lack common sense.    It is something in how the brain processes.      I have two sons.   One lacks common sense.  He is bright, articulate, college educated, funny and has a heart of gold..... but the simplest things fly right over his head.   He just doesn't always think things through.   Cause and Effect.

My other son is very analytical.  Logical to a fault.  His world is black and white... he rarely sees grey.   They are polar opposites.

The best thing you can do is try to drill into your DD to think things through... cause and effect.  Repetician works, too.    Practice scenarios often and make lots of check lists!   

NaturesMuse
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:26 PM

rolling on floor

I can honestly say.. I don't think mine would forget his penis.. pants, shirt, shoes, jacket, head.. yes.. but the penis? No.. that's the most important part..

-Kris

Super-mom of The Brat Pack! Kriz, DJ, Chy, Chance, Oobie, Itty, and To Be Announced

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM

My dd is 14 and a straight A honor student and has no common sense. Her brothers just shake their heads at her because she has a 99 average in all her classes but can't figure out how to do some of the simplest things. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)