Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone else have kids who have no common sense?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have to do this anonymously because it hurts to say this but I need help!

My dd is 13 and has no common sense. She lacks logic. Sometimes it's funny because what she is saying sounds "airheaded". Sometimes, like lately, it's frustrating.

I don't know how to help her. My friend suggested buying books for her since she likes to read but browsing through books makes me feel like I'm just insulting my daughter.

Please tell me I'm not alone. Please telle there are ways to help her.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Thank you for showing me I'm not alone.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

Yes! Mine do that also. My kids are 12, 7, 6 and 6. I have to really bite my tongue. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Is that the same as if I can tell her to wear jeans that day and she will come out wearing a skirt, then a dress, then sweats? Because it happened- just when she was younger though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Oh jeez sounds like mine. The other day driving down the street she asked why there's signs that say "construction" but the road was uneven and blocked off.

Quoting Anonymous:

She just turned nine. God I hope this changes. She's very trusting/gullible too. If you tell her you met George Washington in person she will believe you.

Quoting Anonymous:

How old is she?

Everyone here is saying basically there's hope for us. But outsiders even see that my dd just doesn't have common sense. You can notice it :/

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd is the same way! No common sense. If I ask her to pick up her room she will walk back and forth with clothes to a hamper in the living room rather than bring the hamper to her room. She would rather struggle stuffing her feet in tied shoes than untying them from the get go. It irritates me so much! My ds age 3 has more common sense than she does.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Yes good this is what I have been doing. Like right now having the sex talk she learned that when women are pregnant they don't have their period then she asked if the baby developing in a woman's stomach if that lady will have her period. So I had to tell her what is a lady called if there's a baby developing in her stomach. This example wasn't frustrating though. Thanks for the name of that company. I'll look it up.

Quoting starbuckmom03:

When she comes to you asking a question and needing an answer and you know she could figure it out, don't answer it for her.  Ask questions back that will help her get to her answer.  I do this with my 7yr old ds and it works fairly well.  Look up critical thinking for teens and see if you can find a book or activities that allow your dd to stop and think to get her answers.  There is a site called Critical Thinking company that has workbooks but not sure to what age the books go up to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ugh. Thanks. Lol!!

And my dd is a little bit of a late bloomer lol

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Common sense doesn't come in fully till closer to early 20's.  Hate to break it to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I will ask my mom! I know it'll open the door for her to talk crap about me lol I used to do stupid stuff.

Quoting NaturesMuse:

It's normal.. Most 12-14 year olds have little to no common sense.. it's something that has been the bane of parents for generations..

Seriously, ask your parents and grandparents.. It's mostly a hormonal thing.

I have a 13 year old boy.. and nope.. not a lick of common sense..

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Lol Thankfully no one got hurt or that wouldn't be funny. I think it may be lack of experience so I push my dd to go out there and say buy something from the store by herself, or talk and explain things instead of saying "nevermind" when she feels it's to hard to explain.

Quoting MicheleJM:

My boys have no common sense.  Ds once decided to try to shoot himself in the leg with an airsoft gun to "see how it felt". Ummm okkkay that seems awful stupid to me son I just TOLD you not to point that gun at anyone...that included you.  Fortunately he wasn't hurt.  The other boy would forget his penis if it wasn't attached to his body.  He's forgotten to close car doors, doors to the house, his homework, and God knows what else...I am trying to teach them.  Some of it I think is lack of experience and some of it is because....they are BOYS.

louiegirl62
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Sounds like my 13yr old son! Sometimes I tell him I think there's a bubble where his brain should be. He can't see something right in front of him, he'll go back and forth 5 times from his room, throwing garbage away instead of taking an armfull. I can ask him the same question 3 times and get 3 different answers. Arrrgggghhhhh! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:13 AM

You know, sometimes common sense just takes longer for some people to learn. Continue to encourage problem solving skills. Life will sharpen her brain, if all else fails. It may just take time. But she's only 13. Hugs. You are doing great!

Aleta775
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Meh. She's a teen and in phase where she's just not pay that much attention. I bet she's just sort of in her own little world. LOL. I did that. I turned out okay. I had to mature a little bit and I snapped out of it. I don't think there is anything you can do to help her get out of it. It is more of a developmental thing that has to happen on its own. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's my problem- I can't teach common sense. Or I should say I don't know how to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids are kids. They're learning. They sometimes say silly things just to get attention. I wouldn't flip out. Take her to the book store with you and let her pick some books, or YOU YOURSELF take a stab at teaching her some useful common sense if you feel she is lacking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM
My cousin was a complete airhead. I love her to death, she was like my little sister, but she's such an airhead. lol She's 22 & she's STILL an airhead. lol
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I still have this problem. I have ADHD and simply cannot focus. You can tell me to do xyz but sometimes I don't know how to start it and my mind races down a several rabbit trails and I will honestly forget what needed to be done.

I've actually gone two days without eating because I kept getting to overwhelmed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)