Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone else have kids who have no common sense?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have to do this anonymously because it hurts to say this but I need help!

My dd is 13 and has no common sense. She lacks logic. Sometimes it's funny because what she is saying sounds "airheaded". Sometimes, like lately, it's frustrating.

I don't know how to help her. My friend suggested buying books for her since she likes to read but browsing through books makes me feel like I'm just insulting my daughter.

Please tell me I'm not alone. Please telle there are ways to help her.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (41-50):
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:44 AM
No one thought I had it and just said I was a goof and silly.

Can she clean? Or does it take hours when it should only take 20,30 min? Do you have to direct her when something is really messy? I'm not saying she has ADHD but she can have a slight issue with focusing and it makes her seem like an airhead. I can pay attention when learnig if I'm doodling so if she's fine in class that mAy be the case.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh my goodness.

I wonder if she has some sort of ... I don't know what to call it, but if there's something wrong but the teachers don't think so.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

I still have this problem. I have ADHD and simply cannot focus. You can tell me to do xyz but sometimes I don't know how to start it and my mind races down a several rabbit trails and I will honestly forget what needed to be done.

I've actually gone two days without eating because I kept getting to overwhelmed.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:45 AM
My 12 years old daughter is the same way.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Hitchhiking through aspergers syndrome by Lyse Pyles

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:56 AM
She does get very easily distracted so yes it can take her hours to clean... And in the end, the spot still isn't clean! If she needs to clean the shower stall, she'll tell me she's done and I'll go over to check it out. How the hell is it clean and there's still cleaner all over? A whole layer of cleaner that's been scrubbed/wiped around. This has happened more than once.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

No one thought I had it and just said I was a goof and silly.

Can she clean? Or does it take hours when it should only take 20,30 min? Do you have to direct her when something is really messy? I'm not saying she has ADHD but she can have a slight issue with focusing and it makes her seem like an airhead. I can pay attention when learnig if I'm doodling so if she's fine in class that mAy be the case.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh my goodness.

I wonder if she has some sort of ... I don't know what to call it, but if there's something wrong but the teachers don't think so.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

I still have this problem. I have ADHD and simply cannot focus. You can tell me to do xyz but sometimes I don't know how to start it and my mind races down a several rabbit trails and I will honestly forget what needed to be done.

I've actually gone two days without eating because I kept getting to overwhelmed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I don't know what Aspergers is.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hitchhiking through aspergers syndrome by Lyse Pyles

Jebekarue
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM

My dd is 14 and she is not the brightest bulb in the package but she has a tremendous imagination when it comes to writing!! 

ds almost 17 typical boy he does the sock thing too where u tell him to pick it up from at his feet and he will look all around for it, step on it, kick it etc.

I worked with a girl she was young about 20, when the "Ped Egg" came out we were talking about it one day and she was like oh cool you can use that for a cheese grater!! i just groaned.

SadeAyosmom
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:09 AM

teens are all stupid :) haha i think i know one well thought out teen.

they are just kids still their brains are not fully developed. give her time.

lucsch
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Yes, just be as patient as possible. It is the AGE. My dh is an AP at a middle school. He calls these kids hormones wearing tennis shoes. Seriously!

Even my boys went through this. My eldest is the kid with the most common sense of anyone I know, but he totally got goofy with no sense at all in 7th grade.

md_1015
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I would love help too. My sd has no common sense either. Sometimes it is just painful to watch her.
Pnukey
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM

No, but I've been teaching them that since the womb. One way I teach them to think critically and develop common sense is to not answer every question directly. They have to go through the thought process and not jump directly from question to answer. It develops thinking skills and common sense. It's a life-long process. I'm not sure you can completely fix it, starting at 13, but you can sure get a good start. GL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)