Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone else have kids who have no common sense?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I have to do this anonymously because it hurts to say this but I need help!

My dd is 13 and has no common sense. She lacks logic. Sometimes it's funny because what she is saying sounds "airheaded". Sometimes, like lately, it's frustrating.

I don't know how to help her. My friend suggested buying books for her since she likes to read but browsing through books makes me feel like I'm just insulting my daughter.

Please tell me I'm not alone. Please telle there are ways to help her.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
Replies (61-67):
the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I have 1 of my 4 like that.
Buy her not nessecarilly books, but thinking games. I cant think of a specific one off the top of my head, but maybe one like Risk? Where you have to think before you make a move. It will exercise that part of her brain, and HOPEFULLY, cause her to start automatically thinking things through.
Or play word games like "if you had a million dollars, but werent allowed to invest it, what would you do to set yourself up, and make it last for the rest of your life?"
Make it fun, and she wont feel insulted :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof3jam
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:22 AM

She's a teen. I think they're airheads for AT LEAST the next 4-5 years. Maybe try not responding - at all - when she says something dumb, until she rephrases herself? I have no idea... I had friends like that in high school, drove me insane lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Oh... I do the same thing. My bf can move around all the furniture and I don't notice right away :/

Quoting MicheleJM:

I have this huge rug in my living room.  10 feet by 6 feet or something like that.  You really can't miss the damned thing.  I have had it for about 4 years. My house is tile btw. I decided to move the rug from my living room to the dining area. I have some mismatched tile I had put down to replace some broken ones and I wanted to cover them up  Living room looks cleaner and less cluttered without it. I repeat the living room was already clean...that's important to know. So the kids come home.  DS12 said oh you cleaned the living room and there's a new rug in the dining area.  "No son we've had that rug for the LAST FOUR YEARS".  ds goes to look at it: "oh yeahhh"....Ds9 comes home and I asked him did you notice anything? "Yeah the living room looks clean.  Anything else? "Nooooo"  Me: "face palm".

Quoting Anonymous:

Don't you feel bad for saying that? I try my hardest to not yell at her to use her brain :(

Quoting louiegirl62:

Sounds like my 13yr old son! Sometimes I tell him I think there's a bubble where his brain should be. He can't see something right in front of him, he'll go back and forth 5 times from his room, throwing garbage away instead of taking an armfull. I can ask him the same question 3 times and get 3 different answers. Arrrgggghhhhh! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM
That's a good idea! Thanks!

Quoting the4mutts:

I have 1 of my 4 like that.

Buy her not nessecarilly books, but thinking games. I cant think of a specific one off the top of my head, but maybe one like Risk? Where you have to think before you make a move. It will exercise that part of her brain, and HOPEFULLY, cause her to start automatically thinking things through.

Or play word games like "if you had a million dollars, but werent allowed to invest it, what would you do to set yourself up, and make it last for the rest of your life?"

Make it fun, and she wont feel insulted :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I believe its more of teaching her & guiding her. Kinda like teaching her right from wrong but you are teaching her common sense on every day stuff.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's what I'm scared off that she won't grow out of it. Any stories to tell?

Quoting Anonymous:

No, my kid has common sense...my DH on the other hand...that's a totally diff post!

beckolette
by Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I drove school bus for several years. I love the Jr high age, They are a riot, they tell such great stories on themselves. 

What I learned is that the day a girl turns 13, she puts her brain on her pillow and doesn't put it back in until she is about 18. LOL. It's true. I drove a college prep private school with all ages on the bus. I had one girl that I drove for 5 yrs and the week after she turned 13 her mother came running out to the bus asking me to wait because her daughter had lost her backpack. We talked a bit and she said she couldn't understand what was suddenly wrong with daughter. I laughed and explained my theory on 13 yr old girls. We still laugh about her, She has since went on to become the Lawyer in DC that she wanted to be. So don't worry. Someday your Daughter will wake up with her brain back where it belongs. 

imultracool
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Mine aren't that way but my brother is. He's very smart and a very successful CPA but good lord he has no common sense. I don't know how someone can be so smart and so stupid at the same time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)