Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me stop eating processed foods! Clean eating mamas, come here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help! I really want to stop eating so many processed foods. We have been consuming WAY too much sodium and processed crap lately. I want to change it... but I don't even know where to begin! I have thought about making the change many times.... but I feel like the options are limited. I mean... if you take out all processed foods, what are you left with?!

I am a picky eater and so are my kids so that makes it a little harder. But DH will eat just about anything. lol. We do like chicken, turkey, lean beef and some fish... so meat is no problem. And we also love fresh fruits and most veggies. I already go whole grain as much as possible and we really try to avoid white bread. But where we get caught up is with the frozen foods, processed meats like sliced lunch meat, cheeses, soups, seasonings that are loaded with sodium, boxed mac n cheese and other "convenience foods." I don't cook anything from scratch. I really don't know how.

So... for the moms that "eat clean" .... how do you do it?! What do you eat? Give me some meal ideas and examples of what a typical day of meals / snacks looks like in YOUR house.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bauxite-17
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Instead of taking away stuff, trying adding healthier things, and eventually, you'll just slowly stop eating so much processed junk, and eating healthier things. Like if you drink soda, for every 12 oz or so that you drink, you have to drink a glass of water, and then slowly start cutting back and just add more water.

lovinglife0682
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Make your own taco and fajita seasonings.

Quoting Mom2five87:

But how do you make all that stuff without using processed ingredients? Like the BBQ and fajitas. Don't you use BBQ sauce and seasoning mix for the fajitas? And what about tacos? Do you use regular taco seasoning? How do you make Philly cheese steak wraps? That sounds good.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe my meal list will help you? If not, sorry for being boring lol

This week for dinners I'm making

Chicken fajitas with rice and beans

Burgers on the grill with a salad

BBQ pork chops with pasta salad and a veggie

Taco night

Crock pot buffalo chicken with raw broccoli and carrots and ranch to dip

Philly cheese steak wraps

For breakfast we do things like eggs and toast, PB toast, homemade muffins, oatmeal, and we always eat a fruit too. Sometimes I'll make a quiche for the week, usually with bacon and broccoli and cheese. I sometimes make a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer too, we just have to microwave them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this

You use block cheese for mac n cheese. Not processed velveeda.

Mommy383
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Mom2five87:

I use no salt added tomato sauce add my seasonings. I realized how much sodium was in the spaghetti sauce I used to buy, yikes. The powder cheese definitely has way more sodium than any cheese you buy. Stay away from individually wrapped slices. One slice of kraft has over 300 mg of sodium.if you buy sliced cheese go with a provolone or swiss.
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM

How? I'm telling you... I am totally clueless about this stuff. lol

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Quoting Mom2five87:

But how do you make all that stuff without using processed ingredients? Like the BBQ and fajitas. Don't you use BBQ sauce and seasoning mix for the fajitas? And what about tacos? Do you use regular taco seasoning? How do you make Philly cheese steak wraps? That sounds good.

Quoting Anonymous:

Taco night

For breakfast we do things like eggs and toast, PB toast, homemade muffins, oatmeal, and we always eat a fruit too. Sometimes I'll make a quiche for the week, usually with bacon and broccoli and cheese. I sometimes make a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer too, we just have to microwave them.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Liyoness
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM

So stop buying it from a box and make it yourself. It really is that simple.

Google is this wonderful tool at the top of your browser - just search for whatever recipe you want there and you'll get loads of results.

There is no typical day of eating in our house. I have lots of fruits and veggies, so when the kids want a snack, they go to the fridge and they choose something from there. I bake several times a week - last night I made granola bars. The awesome thing about baking everything is you can adjust the amount of sugar and add extras like quinoa and nuts/seeds. We only eat meat a few times a month (usually when DH is home), so pretty much everything I make has seeds and nuts added to it for protein.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:40 PM
6 moms liked this

Clean Eating 101

Pinterest is PACKED with clean eating recipes and ideas.

ksueditz
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM
How do you make your crock pot buffalo chicken. I love using my crock pots.

Quoting Anonymous:

Taco night

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Mom2five87:

The Philly steak wraps are super easy and yummy. I slice whatever steak I have on hand into thin strips. I heat some olive oil in a pan and saute the meat with chopped garlic, some onion, and usually peppers (you can cheat and get chopped frozen peppers), and salt and pepper the meat while it cooks. At the end toss some cheese on and throw it all in a wrap.

I make my own taco seasoning in a big batch, it takes me 2 minutes and lasts for a long time! When I make fajitas I marinate in the meat in a good Italian dressing and the taco seasoning. It sounds weird but I promise its delicious. BBQ sauce is actually pretty easy, I haven't found a recipe I'm totally crazy about yet. My husband is obsessed with sweet baby rays so I admit I cheat on the BBQ sauce often lol.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Pinterest has the answer!!  

Seriously, best gathering of recipes I've ever seen.

Quoting Mom2five87:

How? I'm telling you... I am totally clueless about this stuff. lol

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Quoting Mom2five87:

Quoting Anonymous:

Taco night

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN