Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me stop eating processed foods! Clean eating mamas, come here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help! I really want to stop eating so many processed foods. We have been consuming WAY too much sodium and processed crap lately. I want to change it... but I don't even know where to begin! I have thought about making the change many times.... but I feel like the options are limited. I mean... if you take out all processed foods, what are you left with?!

I am a picky eater and so are my kids so that makes it a little harder. But DH will eat just about anything. lol. We do like chicken, turkey, lean beef and some fish... so meat is no problem. And we also love fresh fruits and most veggies. I already go whole grain as much as possible and we really try to avoid white bread. But where we get caught up is with the frozen foods, processed meats like sliced lunch meat, cheeses, soups, seasonings that are loaded with sodium, boxed mac n cheese and other "convenience foods." I don't cook anything from scratch. I really don't know how.

So... for the moms that "eat clean" .... how do you do it?! What do you eat? Give me some meal ideas and examples of what a typical day of meals / snacks looks like in YOUR house.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (111-120):
moneysaver6
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:31 PM
We make our own seasonings. That way, we not only control sodium content, but what kind of salt is used. (Sea salt or Himalayan instead of table salt.) That also allows us to avoid the chemical ingredients and preservatives added to the store-bought mixes.

We make our own sauces and pastas. The closer to the source you go, the healthier your food is.

Quoting Mom2five87:

I get the whole idea of making everything yourself instead of buying premade... but with most of that stuff you listed, how do you make it yourself and make it BETTER for you than the premade versions? I mean... with homemade mac n cheese ... you still have to use cheese. It's not the powdered kind but all cheese has a lot of sodium. Same for lasagna... the sauce and cheese are loaded with sodium and preservatives. And maybe I'm wrong but I think it is almost imossible to make low sodium soups that taste good. For example, one of our favorites is taco soup. It requires a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of dry ranch dressing mix... and then all the beans and stuff that go into it. I can see substituting the canned ingredients for frozen veggies or dried beans... but what do you do for the seasonings? That is the part that usually puts the sodium through the roof!

Quoting Anonymous:

Let me say, if you eat everything from scratch then you're out in the garden picking your own stuff basically. 

Learn a few basics and go from there: Homemade Mac & Cheese, Chili, Soups (if you desire), lasagna. You should be just fine. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, well after you run it through the blender you would strain it too. The solids that are left behind when made with dates are a sweet almond meal, I use that in place of some of the flour in breakfast cookies :-)

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow, that is interesting. Thanks. Is this how you make your own?

Quoting Anonymous:

Almond milk is made by soaking about a cup of raw almonds in water from 24 hours, rinsing the almonds of their soak wayer and blending with 4 to 6 cups of freash water and add ins if you choose. I add dates and vanilla seeds it mine. Anyway, by soaking the almonds they are now considered sprouted almonds. The ensymes undergo a chemical change, they are no longer raw almonds and they no longer hold the same toxic properties.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have wondered about switching milks, but I have ran in to a problem. Raw Almonds and Soy are considered bad for me (I have a thyroid disorder). They are goitrogens (which I also have one). I've went back and forth wondering if it would just be better to drink cows milk or not. 

Quoting Ali5683:

Eating clean 100% means literally eating exactly like the Paleo diet aka the caveman diet. I eat this way about 95% of time. I buy all meat and produce fresh every week. I do food prep and pre cook meals 5 days in advance (so lunches and dinners for the entire week on Sunday afternoons). It's convenient for my busy lifestyle and nights I just don't want to cook. Reheating chicken and turkey burgers are easy.

You can buy frozen veggies and fruits but NEVER buy canned. They are loaded with chemicals and preservatives. Frozen will last longer than fresh but not even close to as long as canned. I buy a mixture of frozen and fresh depending on what it is.

Do not use butter, olive oil, vegetable oil, etc to cook ever again. Throw it out. If you need an "oil" or non stick solution then use coconut oil only!

Every Sunday here is what I cook for myself... 5 chicken breasts and 5 turkey burger patties, 3 cups of whole grain brown rice (usually makes about 6 meals), 1 sauteed onion and 10 hard boiled eggs. I divide it all so that it's ready to grab and go to work in the mornings. I mix and match different veggies with my meat and rice making a mini stir fry. Do NOT use soy sauce. For a soy sauce alternative use Amino Acids. I put a small amount in my rice, meat and veggie mix and it's yummy!

I also always make sure I have nuts, gluten free snacks, dessert gum, baby carrots and apples available as a snack. My favorite night time snack is an apple cut up with a small amount of stevia and cinnamon heated up for 30 seconds in the microwave. It tastes similar to applie pie without the crust.

We don't drink cows milk. We ONLY drink Almond milk. Yes, it's more expensive but cow's milk is bad for our bodies and the price is almost about the same anyway with rising costs in food.

Phew. That ended up being longer than I expected it to be. Sorry. lol Let me know if you have any questions. Losing weight and staying healthy is 70% of what you eat. I'm open to sharing some more tips if you'd like. :)

EDIT: I have to add that if you're serious about eating clean then throw out all processed condiments. Mayo, mustard, catsup, ranch, bbq sauce, etc. No cheese, well only in moderation. Try to get organic eggs that have no chemicals added. Research has been done on eggs showing almost 50 types of chemicals that get passed from the chicken to the egg. No fast food EVER, obviously.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

What is wrong with olive oil? You Paleo people are so strange. You eat meat but won't eat butter. lol

Eating clean 100% means literally eating exactly like the Paleo diet aka the caveman diet. I eat this way about 95% of time. I buy all meat and produce fresh every week. I do food prep and pre cook meals 5 days in advance (so lunches and dinners for the entire week on Sunday afternoons). It's convenient for my busy lifestyle and nights I just don't want to cook. Reheating chicken and turkey burgers are easy.

You can buy frozen veggies and fruits but NEVER buy canned. They are loaded with chemicals and preservatives. Frozen will last longer than fresh but not even close to as long as canned. I buy a mixture of frozen and fresh depending on what it is.

Do not use butter, olive oil, vegetable oil, etc to cook ever again. Throw it out. If you need an "oil" or non stick solution then use coconut oil only!

Every Sunday here is what I cook for myself... 5 chicken breasts and 5 turkey burger patties, 3 cups of whole grain brown rice (usually makes about 6 meals), 1 sauteed onion and 10 hard boiled eggs. I divide it all so that it's ready to grab and go to work in the mornings. I mix and match different veggies with my meat and rice making a mini stir fry. Do NOT use soy sauce. For a soy sauce alternative use Amino Acids. I put a small amount in my rice, meat and veggie mix and it's yummy!

I also always make sure I have nuts, gluten free snacks, dessert gum, baby carrots and apples available as a snack. My favorite night time snack is an apple cut up with a small amount of stevia and cinnamon heated up for 30 seconds in the microwave. It tastes similar to applie pie without the crust.

We don't drink cows milk. We ONLY drink Almond milk. Yes, it's more expensive but cow's milk is bad for our bodies and the price is almost about the same anyway with rising costs in food.

Phew. That ended up being longer than I expected it to be. Sorry. lol Let me know if you have any questions. Losing weight and staying healthy is 70% of what you eat. I'm open to sharing some more tips if you'd like. :)

EDIT: I have to add that if you're serious about eating clean then throw out all processed condiments. Mayo, mustard, catsup, ranch, bbq sauce, etc. No cheese, well only in moderation. Try to get organic eggs that have no chemicals added. Research has been done on eggs showing almost 50 types of chemicals that get passed from the chicken to the egg. No fast food EVER, obviously.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I make everything from scratch. I make my own bread, spaghetti sauce, tortilla's, etc. I make most of our snacks fruits and veggies. I even make my own yogurt. Just start out slow and soon it will become second nature to you.

Kitschy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Start slow. Don't just clear your cabinets. It's takes time. We started with HFCS. We stopped buying anything that had it on the label as we ran out of things in the house we had to find substitutes, sometimes other brands sometimes making it from scratch. Next we stopped buying anything with MSG then partially hydroginated anything....and so forth.

morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Unless you're buying from a framers market or the like, chance are frozen/canned veggies have more nutrition in them.

daylily888
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Go find yourself some Natural salt - celtic sea salt or "Real Salt".  Nothing white - if it's white it's been bleached.  Natural salt is anywhere from beige or grey to brown, black or pink depending on the mineral content.  Substitute table salt or white "sea salt" for the real/natural stuff.  The natural stuff isn't bad for you like the processed crap, so you don't have to stress about adding salt.  When you make things at home, you control what goes into it, so begin there.

Quoting Mom2five87:

I definitely want to go lower sodium but I also want to go a little more natural. And I would really like to start making things myself instead of buying premade versions or boxed mixes. I've just never really done that and I don't know what I'm doing. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

It seems like you just want to go low sodium. You cam buy things that are already low sodium or salt free or made with sea salt. Just start reading each box you pick up.

justahousewife
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM
It's not about what you know how to do, its about what you're willing to learn. Before I bought my home I didn't know how to cook. Now I can cook just about anything from scratch. I got into the homegrown kick while I was learning to cook. Homegrown isn't a necessary but it doesn't take much room and isn't hard to learn.

I would suggest making a list of favorite meals, pick one and learn how to make it then move onto the next. It took me 4 or 5 yrs to really get good at what I do. Lots of practice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
created4apurpos
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM

even if the sodium content isn't any better its better for you because it doesn't have all those fake ingredients you can't pronounce and the high fructose corn syrup.  if you need convience meals sometimes there are some meals you can make ahead of time and freeze, search amazon fro freezer meals and you will find several cookbooks you can buy.  if you search you can find recipes for everything, bbq sauce, cleaners, even cosmetics.  it will take much more work to cut out all processed foods.  it might be overwhelming to do it all at once.  I agree with someone else who said try it just a little at a time.  try honey to sweeten tea instead of sugar (refined sugar is very bad) use real butter instead of margarine, just one or 2 steps at a time

Kaylawv2
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I can give you a few recipes of things I make. It is okay to have some unhealthy things occasionally such as homemade mac n cheese, it is still much better than boxed. Make sure to use real cheese made with lowfat skim milk and I use butter made from Greek yogurt .
Here is an easy chicken dish
Put 4 boneless skinless breast in a deep pan with 2 tbs of butter. Dice 1 squash and zucchini and add to pan. Season with 1 clove of minced garlic, 1/4 tsp of tarragon, salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is done and veggies are tender and serve over steamed brown rice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN