Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me stop eating processed foods! Clean eating mamas, come here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help! I really want to stop eating so many processed foods. We have been consuming WAY too much sodium and processed crap lately. I want to change it... but I don't even know where to begin! I have thought about making the change many times.... but I feel like the options are limited. I mean... if you take out all processed foods, what are you left with?!

I am a picky eater and so are my kids so that makes it a little harder. But DH will eat just about anything. lol. We do like chicken, turkey, lean beef and some fish... so meat is no problem. And we also love fresh fruits and most veggies. I already go whole grain as much as possible and we really try to avoid white bread. But where we get caught up is with the frozen foods, processed meats like sliced lunch meat, cheeses, soups, seasonings that are loaded with sodium, boxed mac n cheese and other "convenience foods." I don't cook anything from scratch. I really don't know how.

So... for the moms that "eat clean" .... how do you do it?! What do you eat? Give me some meal ideas and examples of what a typical day of meals / snacks looks like in YOUR house.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (131-140):
created4apurpos
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM

related to the question about what if a recipe uses bbq sauce here's a free kindle book on making your own bbq sauce.  you don't need a kindle to read it, there are free kindle apps.  http://www.amazon.com/Your-BBQ-Sauce-Best-ebook/dp/B0080LL2VC?SubscriptionId=AKIAIWRYGV3WVC2SBITA&tag=JOYBIL-20&link_code=as3&creative=373489&camp=211189

Robin - mom of 1 special little girl, wife to Tim

Philippans 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 

CafeMom Tickers
created4apurpos
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM

and here is one on cooking for the freezer:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A6EGOOQ?tag=-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B00A6EGOOQ&adid=0B0KWKKF4GH90EC0NZNM&&ref-refURL=http%3A%2F%2Ffiberarts.ca%2Fblog%2Ffree-homestead-kindle-books-for-self-reliance-and-preparedness-january-24th-edition%2F

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Our bodies NEED good fats and olive oil is one of them. It's also fine in moderation which equals to no more than 1-2 tblsns per day. Olive oil only has chemicals if the oil is expressed with chemicals and has been treated with pesticides and not all oils are expressed using chemicals. Some are expeller/cold pressed, which means no chemicals are used. People have been consuming olive oil for many moons and are plenty healthy because they eat it the way anything should be eaten. In moderation.

It's funny that you claim all of this about olive oil but suggest coconut oil. You do realize that coconut oil has to be extracted, just as olive oil and can contain just as many chemicals if it's extracted chemically, right? It's also not good for you in high doses which means one needs to eat it in moderation.

I don't eat fast food nor do we eat junk  processed foods.

I also have to ask you this...... Do you believe that cavemen ate the same type of foods we have today? The answer is no, due to evolution. We have evolved from the cavement days just as our diets have evolved. This whole eating like a caveman doesn't make sense.

Quoting Ali5683:

Do you know that olive oil is derived from the fat of olives? It's not bad for you but it certainly isn't good for you and is not in an "eating clean diet." Eating fats that are not meant for our bodies can cause health issues and make you gain weight over time. That kind of fat is stored in places in your body and very hard to get rid of. Just like with butter and margarine. Olive oil is also used in lamp oil to keep the flame burning because it has chemicals in it that are not made for consumption in large amounts. Of course the FDA approves it because the amount per serving is not immediately harmful. Just over time it can be.

I prefer consuming things that are made to go in my mouth and nourish my body in a long term positive way. Not man made things that are not meant to keep me alive and healthy. Paleo is not strange. I think it's "strange" that people will eat a super sized value meal at McDonalds yet complain about being sick, tired and overweight all the time. I hear it daily at work and it's really annoying. How is eating what is actually made to nourish our bodies strange? It's usually referred to as the caveman diet which is pretty self explanatory.

Meat and butter have no relation in an eating clean diet. If you ate a clean diet then you would understand. In regards to meat I only eat chicken, fish, turkey meat and steak (steak only 1 - 2 times a year due to the high fat content). I buy all fresh organic from a butcher as well because the added chemicals are not healthy.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

What is wrong with olive oil? You Paleo people are so strange. You eat meat but won't eat butter. lol

Eating clean 100% means literally eating exactly like the Paleo diet aka the caveman diet. I eat this way about 95% of time. I buy all meat and produce fresh every week. I do food prep and pre cook meals 5 days in advance (so lunches and dinners for the entire week on Sunday afternoons). It's convenient for my busy lifestyle and nights I just don't want to cook. Reheating chicken and turkey burgers are easy.

You can buy frozen veggies and fruits but NEVER buy canned. They are loaded with chemicals and preservatives. Frozen will last longer than fresh but not even close to as long as canned. I buy a mixture of frozen and fresh depending on what it is.

Do not use butter, olive oil, vegetable oil, etc to cook ever again. Throw it out. If you need an "oil" or non stick solution then use coconut oil only!

Every Sunday here is what I cook for myself... 5 chicken breasts and 5 turkey burger patties, 3 cups of whole grain brown rice (usually makes about 6 meals), 1 sauteed onion and 10 hard boiled eggs. I divide it all so that it's ready to grab and go to work in the mornings. I mix and match different veggies with my meat and rice making a mini stir fry. Do NOT use soy sauce. For a soy sauce alternative use Amino Acids. I put a small amount in my rice, meat and veggie mix and it's yummy!

I also always make sure I have nuts, gluten free snacks, dessert gum, baby carrots and apples available as a snack. My favorite night time snack is an apple cut up with a small amount of stevia and cinnamon heated up for 30 seconds in the microwave. It tastes similar to applie pie without the crust.

We don't drink cows milk. We ONLY drink Almond milk. Yes, it's more expensive but cow's milk is bad for our bodies and the price is almost about the same anyway with rising costs in food.

Phew. That ended up being longer than I expected it to be. Sorry. lol Let me know if you have any questions. Losing weight and staying healthy is 70% of what you eat. I'm open to sharing some more tips if you'd like. :)

EDIT: I have to add that if you're serious about eating clean then throw out all processed condiments. Mayo, mustard, catsup, ranch, bbq sauce, etc. No cheese, well only in moderation. Try to get organic eggs that have no chemicals added. Research has been done on eggs showing almost 50 types of chemicals that get passed from the chicken to the egg. No fast food EVER, obviously.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM
I try to eat extreme clean... I do not eat any sugar...grains ..flour..etc... a typical day for me would be for breakfast 2 eggs with spinach and tomato in an omlet.... lunch lean turkey and a salad....and dinner a lean meat or fish with a large side of veggies.. as far as snacks.. I eat some almonds or cut up celery... I do not eat processed foods at all..
faeriemom1972
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I started using baked chicken breasts. Bake them however you do, put them in the fridge overnight and the next day they are really easy to slice up for sandwiches. 

Quoting Mommy383:

When cooking rice or veggies I don't add any butter or salt. My kids haven't complained yet. Also instead of avoiding deli meat I just use less. Now when I make a sandwich and see that 4 slices is 600 mg of sodium, I only use 2. I then fill the sandwich with lettuce, tomato, cucumber instead of pickles.

alliesaurus
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM

I focus on the ingredients the most...since i assume by cutting out "processsed" food you are really aiming to cut out a long ingredients list- particularly where the ingredients list is nonfood items and instead chemicals....

Easy Rule- don't buy anything with an ingredient list...or contains ingredients that you don't know what it is.

It depends on how strict you want to be with yourself. milk and yogurt a majority meats and even baby carrots go through a processing to be prepare for stores shelves.

I am convinced that there isn't a thing in the frozen or dry food section that you can't make yourself if you take the time to look up a recipe.

You can find recipes online for homemade seasonings mixes...You can make your own Ranch Dressing mix- its really just garlic powder, onion powder, dill etc..all easy to find spices....but you can make it without the preservatives, added salt, and MSG that comes in the prepared or even prepackaged seasonings packets.

you may be so accustomed to things tasting super flavorful and that is how processed food companies literally addict you to their product. they put chemicals in it to taste good.

You can make this and store it in a little mason jar and have it on hand.

taco Seasoning: 1 tablespoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

use 2 Tbsp for every 1 pound of meat.

Ranch Dressing Mix:
2 Tbs. dried parsley
2 tsp. dried dill
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried chives
Small pinch of salt

I actually mix 1 tbsp of the combination with approx 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt and 1/4 cup milk. You can give or take some of the milk or yogurt to make it thicker or thinner depending on your preference.

this leaves out any MSG, Citric Acid, corn starch, potato starch,..and who knows whats else you'll find in those packets that aren't even labeled.
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 7:58 PM
A garden would help you. I don't claim to eat only organic and I wouldn't even call myself a clean eater but most of the time, not all the time I do make meals from scratch. Like my own spaghetti sauces made from veggies in the garden. My own salsa thing like that. Everything gets canned so we can pull it as needed in the winter. Nothing like home made picklesIn January : ). Things like Alfredo sauce I get recipes for on the all recipes app. You wouldn't believe how easy Alfredo sauce is to make, I can't believe I ever use to buy the remade stuff. Parsley, butter and cream- that's pretty much it! Lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WithHope
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Can I have your buffalo chicken and pork chop recipe?

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe my meal list will help you? If not, sorry for being boring lol

This week for dinners I'm making

Chicken fajitas with rice and beans

Burgers on the grill with a salad

BBQ pork chops with pasta salad and a veggie

Taco night

Crock pot buffalo chicken with raw broccoli and carrots and ranch to dip

Philly cheese steak wraps

For breakfast we do things like eggs and toast, PB toast, homemade muffins, oatmeal, and we always eat a fruit too. Sometimes I'll make a quiche for the week, usually with bacon and broccoli and cheese. I sometimes make a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer too, we just have to microwave them.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Bumping to help you tomorrow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)