Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me stop eating processed foods! Clean eating mamas, come here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help! I really want to stop eating so many processed foods. We have been consuming WAY too much sodium and processed crap lately. I want to change it... but I don't even know where to begin! I have thought about making the change many times.... but I feel like the options are limited. I mean... if you take out all processed foods, what are you left with?!

I am a picky eater and so are my kids so that makes it a little harder. But DH will eat just about anything. lol. We do like chicken, turkey, lean beef and some fish... so meat is no problem. And we also love fresh fruits and most veggies. I already go whole grain as much as possible and we really try to avoid white bread. But where we get caught up is with the frozen foods, processed meats like sliced lunch meat, cheeses, soups, seasonings that are loaded with sodium, boxed mac n cheese and other "convenience foods." I don't cook anything from scratch. I really don't know how.

So... for the moms that "eat clean" .... how do you do it?! What do you eat? Give me some meal ideas and examples of what a typical day of meals / snacks looks like in YOUR house.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (141-150):
brierrose2484
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM

We go both ways but I'd say I cook clean about 70% fo the time. Pick you fav recipes, look themup and see if it's do able for your family. We have time issues in my house. Some dinners I only make on weekends. rolls, biscuits, pizza dough and pan cakes can be made in bulk and frozen for the week. We often eat  from the crock pot.  It's all in the planning. 

DonnaNoble
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Saving for later...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bells2000
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM
get a crockpot! lol

its so easy to make meals from scratch. just about everything you buy in a box or can, you can make yourself. someone is premaking it to go in box or can.. just cut out that step and do it yourself. you can also prob do it healthier since you control what goes in it and can subsitute healthier things for not so healthy things...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:05 PM
meat, vegetables, rice, steelcut oats, fruit, organic stuff like milk, yogurt. make your own soups and meals. when you are out buying groceries use clean ingredients or organic if you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
madismommy03
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Bump
MamaKarrot
by Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I am not a perfect clean eater but I try.  Staples in my kitchen are: dry beans (you can soak overnight and run in the crock pot all day = done, and perfect for tacos and soups.  They also freeze and reheat very well.) dry brown rice, barley (also crock pot all day), chicken breast, fish, WW pastas, nuts, tons and tons of eggs, greek yogurt, honey, fruits and veggies.

Breakfast is a WW english muffin with honey, coffee, banana, yogurt, stuff like that.  You can also put steel cut oats (4 parts liquid to 1 part oats) overnight in the crockpot.  Wake up = breakfast! woo woo!

I slice avocados, crack and egg in the middle and bake it for 15 minutes = lunch.

Dinner is usually something in the crockpot.  I hate cooking, I just do it to be healthy. Bean soups, shredded chicken (put over rice or something).

I season things without any prepackaged stuff. So tacos I use cumin and cilantro instead of like ortega seasoning.  You can keep fresh ginger in the freezer and grate it as needed.  Ginger and honey together make a really good crock pot sauce to pour over chicken instead of teryaki in a jar or something you'd get at the store.  Green onions throw the roots in water after you use them and they regrow.  

Anyway, just a few things I do of the top of my head.

sweetmelissa777
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Try the blog....100 days of real food. She has tons of info and recipes!!!
Mrs.Winchester
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Someone has probably already posted this but there is a website called http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

and she gives a lot of great tips.

Rule of thumb:  If it has more than 5 ingredients on the label it's probably crap. 

MidnightRambler
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I haven't tried Braggs but thanks for the tip! I will look for it.

Quoting sweetboys4me:

Oh my goodness yes...soy sauce is awful if used in sauces. Have you tried using Braggs liquid aminos in sauce recipes instead.  It's a great soy sauce substitute

Quoting MidnightRambler:

Oh yeah, if you're trying to avoid salt watch out for homemade sauce recipes with soy sauce. Always buy the low sodium soy sauce because it is SUPER salty and if you make your own teriyaki or sesame sauce it can be overwhelming. That's what I find anyway.

ZanderandBella
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Seriously, just step back and look for organic and all natural. Shop at stores that offer organic/all-natural options. Even walmart is offering more organic options. It really isn't as difficult as it seems :). It's just overwhelming at first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)