Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me stop eating processed foods! Clean eating mamas, come here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help! I really want to stop eating so many processed foods. We have been consuming WAY too much sodium and processed crap lately. I want to change it... but I don't even know where to begin! I have thought about making the change many times.... but I feel like the options are limited. I mean... if you take out all processed foods, what are you left with?!

I am a picky eater and so are my kids so that makes it a little harder. But DH will eat just about anything. lol. We do like chicken, turkey, lean beef and some fish... so meat is no problem. And we also love fresh fruits and most veggies. I already go whole grain as much as possible and we really try to avoid white bread. But where we get caught up is with the frozen foods, processed meats like sliced lunch meat, cheeses, soups, seasonings that are loaded with sodium, boxed mac n cheese and other "convenience foods." I don't cook anything from scratch. I really don't know how.

So... for the moms that "eat clean" .... how do you do it?! What do you eat? Give me some meal ideas and examples of what a typical day of meals / snacks looks like in YOUR house.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (151-152):
kirita323
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Start by googling a few recipes and trying them. Look for local produce too. Try making your own seasonings (again google it lol). Do some really basic foods. I'm not perfect though, I like to cook with cream o' crap. That's my only downfall. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 20 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I'm back!

I'm just starting too (trying to lose weight by mostly eating clean) so anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

One of the first *REAL* meals I made was very similar to this --> http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2010/09/spaghetti-squash-with-grilled-chicken-sundried-tomatoes-broccoli-and-peas/

I ommited/changed some of the ingredents (used regular tomato instead of sundried tomatoes, rotisserie chicken (I'll explain this in a minute) instead of breast, and all frozen veggies).

Okay you'll need:

1-2 rotisserie chickens (depending on if you want leftovers)

1-2 bags of assorted frozen veggies (whatever your favorites are)

HOMEMADE BONE BROTH (explain in a minute)

1 spaghetti squash

Salt (omit if using rottiserie), pepper, parmesan, and a BLOCK of cheese, to be shredded at home (pre-shred just doesn't taste the same and it has additives to prevent clumping) and extra virgin olive oil.

Okay, the reason I used rotisserie chicken is because I wanted to make bone broth instead of store bought (That stuff is so ridiculous!). You CAN use a regular raw fryer chicken - but I wasn't that brave at first. If you want to use raw fryer chicken, let me know.

The night BEFORE your meal, take all the meat off the chicken, shred it up a little and put it in a bowl and in the fridge for your meal (tomorrow). Take the skin and toss it - there's too much sodium in the rotisserie skin. If you're using raw, you want to keep the skin.

Take all the extras (meat, bones, cartliage, EVERYTHING besides the skin) and put them in your crock pot. Put enough water in the crck pot to barely cover the chicken bones/other. Then add 1 T apple cider vinegar (2 if you used 2 chickens). You set that on low and simmer it overnight (6-24 hours). It's done when the bones break like crackers. This will be in the morning. When it's done, strain it through a very fine strainer. I used a regular one to get the big stuff out then a small tiny (1/2c size strainer) $1 thing I got at Walmart to strain the smal particles out. You'll have beautiful homemade bone broth. (Google benifits of bone broth, it's REALLY good stuff!!)

OK, now you'll want to reduce the bone broth. You'll likely have 2-3 cups of it, and you'll want about 1 1/2 cups for the meal. You'll put the broth in a pan and simmer it on the stove until it's reduced (the water will evaporate leaving you with concentrated broth).When its done, put it in the fridge for later (it may gell up a little).

Here's a recipe http://www.holisticsquid.com/making-chicken-bone-broth-from-basic-to-adventurous/

Now, it's time to make you meal.

Use this recipe - but don't be afraid to change it up a bit. http://rufflesandtruffles.com/2010/09/spaghetti-squash-with-grilled-chicken-sundried-tomatoes-broccoli-and-peas/

i HOPE THIS HELPS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)