Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me stop eating processed foods! Clean eating mamas, come here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help! I really want to stop eating so many processed foods. We have been consuming WAY too much sodium and processed crap lately. I want to change it... but I don't even know where to begin! I have thought about making the change many times.... but I feel like the options are limited. I mean... if you take out all processed foods, what are you left with?!

I am a picky eater and so are my kids so that makes it a little harder. But DH will eat just about anything. lol. We do like chicken, turkey, lean beef and some fish... so meat is no problem. And we also love fresh fruits and most veggies. I already go whole grain as much as possible and we really try to avoid white bread. But where we get caught up is with the frozen foods, processed meats like sliced lunch meat, cheeses, soups, seasonings that are loaded with sodium, boxed mac n cheese and other "convenience foods." I don't cook anything from scratch. I really don't know how.

So... for the moms that "eat clean" .... how do you do it?! What do you eat? Give me some meal ideas and examples of what a typical day of meals / snacks looks like in YOUR house.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Its not hard once you get used to it. your body craves the processed unhealthy foods because they taste good (enhanced with tested additives to make them appetizing) and your body is malnourished which makes you crave more food to fill the nutritional void. Start with an elimination diet like is here, but don't have to avoid anything in the avoid column (except for the obviously processed ones like margarine).  Just look at the list of whole foods and a starting point.Season your chicken with lemon juice and pepper. Make your own broths. I am about to go to bed but can help answer some of your questions and maybe help with recipe sources tomorrow if you'd like.  Just let me know.  You can do this!!!  Your body and your family will thank you

lovinglife0682
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Raw meat has an expiration date. Also smell is a great indicator if it is good. When meat is vacuum sealed it can last for a long time in the freezer.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is my same problem too! Every answer I keep getting is "look at a cook book" yeah anybody can follow instructions but my issue is I have no clue what to do when it come to storage and handling foods! What do I do with leftover raw meat? How long will it be good? How long can I freeze it? How do I thaw it? How long can it be left out? What does it look like when its bad? What temperature is it supposed to be? I'm really kinda stupid when it comes to this stuff :/ so here's a bump

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2five87
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Do you make your own garlic bread?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Mom2five87:

For sides it just depends on what were eating! I like to make a pasta salad loaded with a bunch of veggies, the kids like it and it lasts a couple meals. We do things like baked potato, sweet potato wedges (I like to make them spicy), the kids love garlic bread, couscous, and occasionally rice.

I always have organic frozen veggies in the freezer, and I buy my fresh produce weekly depending on what looks fresh.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Oh my goodness yes...soy sauce is awful if used in sauces. Have you tried using Braggs liquid aminos in sauce recipes instead.  It's a great soy sauce substitute

Quoting MidnightRambler:

Oh yeah, if you're trying to avoid salt watch out for homemade sauce recipes with soy sauce. Always buy the low sodium soy sauce because it is SUPER salty and if you make your own teriyaki or sesame sauce it can be overwhelming. That's what I find anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
How long does it last in the Ziploc freezer bags?

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Raw meat has an expiration date. Also smell is a great indicator if it is good. When meat is vacuum sealed it can last for a long time in the freezer.

Quoting Anonymous:

This is my same problem too! Every answer I keep getting is "look at a cook book" yeah anybody can follow instructions but my issue is I have no clue what to do when it come to storage and handling foods! What do I do with leftover raw meat? How long will it be good? How long can I freeze it? How do I thaw it? How long can it be left out? What does it look like when its bad? What temperature is it supposed to be? I'm really kinda stupid when it comes to this stuff :/ so here's a bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
of course your soups are full of sodium. those seasoning packets are like half salt. use herbs and spices to make your food flavorful without the salt.

Quoting Mom2five87:

I get the whole idea of making everything yourself instead of buying premade... but with most of that stuff you listed, how do you make it yourself and make it BETTER for you than the premade versions? I mean... with homemade mac n cheese ... you still have to use cheese. It's not the powdered kind but all cheese has a lot of sodium. Same for lasagna... the sauce and cheese are loaded with sodium and preservatives. And maybe I'm wrong but I think it is almost imossible to make low sodium soups that taste good. For example, one of our favorites is taco soup. It requires a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of dry ranch dressing mix... and then all the beans and stuff that go into it. I can see substituting the canned ingredients for frozen veggies or dried beans... but what do you do for the seasonings? That is the part that usually puts the sodium through the roof!

Quoting Anonymous:

Let me say, if you eat everything from scratch then you're out in the garden picking your own stuff basically. 

Learn a few basics and go from there: Homemade Mac & Cheese, Chili, Soups (if you desire), lasagna. You should be just fine. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Quoting Mom2five87:

Yup! Super easy! Just take whatever bread you like, spread a good amount of butter on, throw on chopped garlic and parsley. If I want the house to really smell good I melt the butter in a pan and add the chopped garlic and parsley to it then pour it on the bread. Bake it until it looks as crispy/melty as you like it, it doesn't take long.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM

We eat very limited processed foods.  I agree with many of the other posters, start out slowly and keep adding recipes as you move along.  The first cookbook I ever used to help was Mark Bittman's, "How to Cook Everything".  There isn't a package of anything - all "real food" and fairly simple.  

Examples of our go-to recipes from the book are:

Hummus, fajitas (complete with the seasoning mix), re-fried beans (not actually fried so very healthy), chicken stock, wonderful soups, pasta sauces, chicken (roasted and using parts), salad dressings... Over 800 recipes.

For us it is a whole family "game".  My DD likes to make pizza dough and pizza sauce, pita bread, ice cream and tortillas.  I like making the main courses and DH is anything on the grill.

At least for us it is almost easier than buying processed as we always have the basics in our pantry so just need to shop for meat, fruits and vegetables and dairy.  We do make our own yogurt.  We have a yogurt maker (about $20.00) and prep is only about 15 minutes unattended in the microwave - directions come with the maker.  Sets out overnight.  We always have yogurt on hand and use  it as a substitute for sour cream.  Also, being able to add fresh fruit to the plain yogurt is a healthier option than buying yogurt with the fruit already added.

Sorry to write so much.  We are passionate about food!  Good luck:)

TSNDDY
by Emerald Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Check out 100daysofrealfood.com
lovinglife0682
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:49 AM
9-12 months.

Quoting Anonymous:

How long does it last in the Ziploc freezer bags?

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN