Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help me stop eating processed foods! Clean eating mamas, come here!

Posted by   + Show Post

I need help! I really want to stop eating so many processed foods. We have been consuming WAY too much sodium and processed crap lately. I want to change it... but I don't even know where to begin! I have thought about making the change many times.... but I feel like the options are limited. I mean... if you take out all processed foods, what are you left with?!

I am a picky eater and so are my kids so that makes it a little harder. But DH will eat just about anything. lol. We do like chicken, turkey, lean beef and some fish... so meat is no problem. And we also love fresh fruits and most veggies. I already go whole grain as much as possible and we really try to avoid white bread. But where we get caught up is with the frozen foods, processed meats like sliced lunch meat, cheeses, soups, seasonings that are loaded with sodium, boxed mac n cheese and other "convenience foods." I don't cook anything from scratch. I really don't know how.

So... for the moms that "eat clean" .... how do you do it?! What do you eat? Give me some meal ideas and examples of what a typical day of meals / snacks looks like in YOUR house.

pregnant

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM
Replies (61-70):
themissheather
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Me too. All the center isles of junk I just never go down.

Quoting Anonymous:

I shop the perimiter of the store , whole wheat bread, cut sugar,salt eat more vegetables and fruits. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
notabosley
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I started with removing any food with msg from my diet. Now I use a calorie counter app on my phone. Looking at what you are consuming, and what is it helps a lot.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM
You learn to use spices. Use dried chili peppers, cumin, garlic, onion...

Quoting Mom2five87:

I get the whole idea of making everything yourself instead of buying premade... but with most of that stuff you listed, how do you make it yourself and make it BETTER for you than the premade versions? I mean... with homemade mac n cheese ... you still have to use cheese. It's not the powdered kind but all cheese has a lot of sodium. Same for lasagna... the sauce and cheese are loaded with sodium and preservatives. And maybe I'm wrong but I think it is almost imossible to make low sodium soups that taste good. For example, one of our favorites is taco soup. It requires a packet of taco seasoning and a packet of dry ranch dressing mix... and then all the beans and stuff that go into it. I can see substituting the canned ingredients for frozen veggies or dried beans... but what do you do for the seasonings? That is the part that usually puts the sodium through the roof!

Quoting Anonymous:

Let me say, if you eat everything from scratch then you're out in the garden picking your own stuff basically. 

Learn a few basics and go from there: Homemade Mac & Cheese, Chili, Soups (if you desire), lasagna. You should be just fine. 

Megan11587
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Can you give me ideas of what you currently eat? I can get you recipes to try.
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM

It can be, yes. As long as you are making it yourself, using fresh ingredients and using good quality meat and not that crap from WalMart.

Quoting MelanieMans:

Really, all that stuff is clean eating? If I would have known thast I would have did this a long time ago :) Thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe my meal list will help you? If not, sorry for being boring lol

This week for dinners I'm making

Chicken fajitas with rice and beans
Burgers on the grill with a salad
BBQ pork chops with pasta salad and a veggie
Taco night
Crock pot buffalo chicken with raw broccoli and carrots and ranch to dip
Philly cheese steak wraps

For breakfast we do things like eggs and toast, PB toast, homemade muffins, oatmeal, and we always eat a fruit too. Sometimes I'll make a quiche for the week, usually with bacon and broccoli and cheese. I sometimes make a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer too, we just have to microwave them.

mom2aspclboy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I have the perfect cookbook for you!

"Better Than a Box: How to Transform Processed Foods Recipes into Whole Foods Favorites" by Katie Kimball

You can get the ebook on Amazon for cheap right now at only .99 cents.

Here is a link to the ebook on the website of the woman who wrote the book:

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2013/01/22/better-than-a-box-how-to-transform-processed-food-recipes-into-whole-foods-favorites/

VannaMae307
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM

This, this, and this.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

"If God didn't make it, you shouldn't eat it!".  Simple as that!

MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Oh im not going to use processed stuff, we have been dirt broke and doing our shopping at dollar tree, we have money now and im excited to get some stuff to make some actual food, im excited we will have nice meals and have leftovers....what do you use for the taco salad as far as tortilla chips?

Quoting Anonymous:

It can be! They're all fresh, homemade, real ingredients. They're also all organic too, but that's a whole different subject lol. All of those meals could be made from junk and processed food too, so it just depends on how you make it. 

Quoting MelanieMans:

Really, all that stuff is clean eating? If I would have known thast I would have did this a long time ago :) Thanks

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe my meal list will help you? If not, sorry for being boring lol

This week for dinners I'm making

Chicken fajitas with rice and beans
Burgers on the grill with a salad
BBQ pork chops with pasta salad and a veggie
Taco night
Crock pot buffalo chicken with raw broccoli and carrots and ranch to dip
Philly cheese steak wraps

For breakfast we do things like eggs and toast, PB toast, homemade muffins, oatmeal, and we always eat a fruit too. Sometimes I'll make a quiche for the week, usually with bacon and broccoli and cheese. I sometimes make a batch of breakfast burritos for the freezer too, we just have to microwave them.

Cannabisaurus
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
1 mom liked this
If you don't already have a pinterest account, I suggest you get one. There are tons and tons of clean eating recipes on there.

I used to be a terrible cook but after a little while of just following recipes, you get the hang of it. I also plan out all of our meals a weeks at a time so I'm never stuck staring into the fridge wondering what's for dinner.

Today for breakfast we had a spinach, mushroom and feta frittata. Super easy to make.
Lunch will be chicken salad wraps. I make my chicken salad with vegannaisse instead of mayo. It's much, much healthier and tastes better too!
Dinner is paleosagna. Instead of using lasagna pasta shells, I use zucchini. It's delicious, no carbon and packed with veggies.

Keep lots of fruit on hand, frozen and fresh and you'll always be able to make smoothies for breakfast or for a snack. Limit the amount of juice your family drinks. It's packed with sugars and not as good for you as some people think. Switch out for better ingredients as you go along...instead of regular table salt, use sea salt...instead of processed cheese, use goat cheese. Instead of Idaho potatoes, use sweet potatoes.
Keeely07
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I do paleo. It's actually pretty easy. It's meat, eggs, nuts/seeds, good quality fats, fruits and veggies. NO grains, NO dairy, NO sugar, and obviously NO processed foods.

I feel so much better this way. The grains and dairy really mess up my stomach. There are recipes out there for everything.

If you want to eat clean, you HAVE to cook. There's no way around it.

I'd recommend starting with the 21-day Sugar Detox. Google it, it's an e-book.

If you have questions please message me! I'd love to help in any way that I can :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)