Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you understand what CPS/DCFS and so on are really for??

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I see a lot of people lately freaking out saying they're gonna contact CPS...

Umm..is the child being abused? Neglected? Raped? Around drugs that could cause him/her harm?

I got CPS called on me when my girls were running around my own home in just undies and a tshirt. Also when my child had a bruise from falling off her time out chair, and one other time for my child sneaking outside. I do not believe these to be reasons to call, but what do you think is.....?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Replies (101-110):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

As someone who worked for this agency for twelve years and am currently a clinical therapist working with children, my response is a Yes!! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM

I think CPS is over used and usually they are harassing people who aren't abusing their kids.

A few examples...

CPS was called on us because my son had a blister on his foot. The report said that it was from us not putting socks on him. Funny his sock was in his shoe, it had slid down while he was playing.

They were again called, this time the report said that all I fed my kids was peanutbutter and jelly and 7-up. Upon questioning my son the case worker was able to accertain that that was not the case. While they couldn't say who made the call they were able to give me a time frame from when the call was made. At that time I was having a problem with migraines, DH was out to sea and so for dinner on the night I had a migraine I gave the kids peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches and MILK. The rest of the time I cooked as usual.

And lastly....my DD#1's teacher (Yes we knew where it came from this time) called on us for not potty training our WHEELCHAIR assisted daughter when she (the teacher) asked us too. Even after we had explained that it wouldn't be happening and had medical evidence that it wouldn't happen she still called. We had a meeting with the principal of the school right quick and nipped that puppy. DD#1 has Cerebral Palsy and is considered a quadrepeleagic. The part of her brain damaged controls things like telling the bladder and bowels when it is time to eliminate. So potty training doesn't work. Tried that for 2 years.

And lastly, just after DD#1 started high school, we had an aide who was CPS crazy. She was making calls on us constantly for no reason. It got to the point where CPS wouldn't take her calls anymore, so she started getting other people at school to make the calls. They were always over nothing. My daughter had a couple of bug bites from where he arm was out from under the covers. She called over that. It finally got to the point that I told the kids that if they got called out of class to speak to a caseworker, that upon being told to go back to class to call me and let me know. Turns out she was calling CPS to cover up things she was doing. DD#1 is very intellegent and this aide was talking to other aides and teachers about our family and others in front of DD#1 like she couldn't understand what was being said. Unfortunately, We couldn't do anything about it. For some reason the school 'loved her' and so she was protected. It was ridiculous. I was so glad when we had to move from that area because of DH's job. We have been where we are for about 3 years now and not one call (Knock on wood).

Luckily on all four cases CPS came down on our side.

I know that there are a lot of times that CPS is needed to help kids but for the most part I think they are misused by people who have nothing better to do than cause trouble because they themselves are unhappy. 

mamaclairbear
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I would agree with all of your reasons and add if the home is unsanitary. I'm not talking non-pristine toilets... I'm talking week old moldy trash everywhere.

DebnDrew
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Same situation with my SIL :-(  I wish you luck

Quoting Anonymous:

I agree. I called CPS on my SIL. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, because I truly love her like a sister and we are very close. But the things that she was allowing to go on in her home were just going too far. They showed up once with a bunch of police, told her she couldn't do certain things and had to fix some stuff in her house, showed up one more time and reminded her of everything she wasn't allowed to do anymore, then closed her case. Do you think she continued to not do the things they told her not to do? Of course not, she went right back to her old ways. Nothing changed. It's horrible. It takes a child to get severely hurt or something for them to really do anything. But it's because they are so bogged down with the bullshit calls that it's draining their time and resources.

Quoting Bauxite-17:

People abuse cps...and its unfortunate, because there are children out there that are actually being abused, and cps doesn't do shit for them. I know first hand about that.

momto2crazykids
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

people abuse cps and call just to piss people off

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM

my mother called on me... because I am apparently suicidal... and have tried to kill myself... O.o apparently I failed... lmfao... they are investigating because she said there was neglect and abuse... what ever... investigate all you want... you wont find shit on me...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I agree with you HOWEVER if I saw one of your children out front alone for awhile I might call. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Is a false report really that bad? It's inconvenient, and a little embarrassing. However, imagine if you didn't make a report because you were afraid to get a fine, then found out something terrible happened to that child. Then people would be complaining that the fines hindered them.

Quoting Anonymous:

Tell that "better safe than sorry" theory to the women who had a false report on them. lol

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem with this is that, if someone thinks something bad is going on, but isn't sure, they would be afraid to call. When there's money involved, people care a lot less. I think it's usually better safe than sorry...

Quoting Anonymous:

I have this thing where I think people who call CPS/DCFS/etc. should be charged with filing a false report. Imagine the amount of time wasted on absolutely nothing.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM
3 moms liked this

If someone is breastfeeding in public.

If someone formula feeds.

If someone rearfaces their two year old.

If someone doesn't rearface their two year old.

If someone cloth diapers.

If someone uses disposable diapers.

If someone spanks.

If someone doesn't spank.

If someone is a vegan.

If someone feeds their child meat.

If someone is religious.

If someone is not religious.

If someone wears their baby.

If someone does not wear their baby.

Basically if someone chooses a parenting technique that I disagree with.

Right?

Lol.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I called CPS on my brother. My nephew had handprint bruises all over his face and neck and some on the rest of his body. I don't regret it though nothing really happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured