Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (161-170):
1boy1girlmama
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor:

- Living situation is too small for the amount of people who live there but not enough $$ to move elsewhere. 

-Not enough food to eat, one or more persons in the family has to go hungry in order to feed the others.

-Not enough money to meet every day necessitites. (ie. medications, car insurance, gas, ect).

-Qualifies for state assistance (though not always the case I've known plenty of poor people who do not qualify) 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Taking one vacation per year.

Ali5683
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

If you can't take care of yourself and your family. Either financially, physically, emotionally. I know people who are not on government assistance yet they make very little money but they're so happy and spend so much time together. They support each other and are just good happy people. That to me, is rich. I know people who are near millionaires with Bentley's, vacation homes and a maid yet they are so miserable and mean to others. That to me, is poor.

I'm by no means financially wealthy but I do well in that area. I am happy, I have a healthy 3 year old, a healthy 13 year old sister, a home to go at the end of the day, wonderful friends, etc. I would consider myself rich only because of the kind of life I live that has nothing to do with money.

simple smile

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor is when you can't pay your bills. You can't afford new clothes, shoes, etc. You barely afford food.

MochaBerry24
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:52 PM

That's an excellent point! 

Quoting SunshineBird:

It's about perspective. You cannot blame Americans for having a certain idea of what poor is compared to third world countries because we don't live in third world countries. I have experienced poor before and you can't tell me I didn't. It's not black and white, there is a lot of grey area when it comes to poor. 

CafeMom Tickers
MochaBerry24
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM

BUMP!

1CopaceticMama
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow I was waiting to be bashed lol. I am actually good now. I worked really hard to make a few extra bucks cleaning a ladies home. I'm set til next payday!!!  Thank you for your concern and I hope pce68 is able to work it through too :)

Quoting MochaBerry24:

those are some hard times ladies. Are there any free community resources you can access like coat drives, toy drives, food banks, free meals?

Quoting 1CopaceticMama:

This is us too. My family is on a super tight budget. When we didn't get our FS this month is turned us upside down. I only eat a little bit of dinner and drink lots of water to keep going so my kids can eat. I have less than 1/4 tank of gas and a whole week before my husbands payday. The only place I drive is to the school and back since it is in the neg temps. Its too cold for my kids to walk. I'm hoping like hades we can make it to the next payday.

I hope you do too <3

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

AnHpuresugar
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a comforting thought but many Americans actually do "know" what it is to be poor.  It is disgusting that many people go to bed hungry, without adequate shelter and access to medical care.  Poor isn't just in 3rd world countries.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Someone like me who works for 50 dollars a week bc I cant get a better paying job, or any other job at all and bc my husband takes home 300 a week we cant get food stamps for our 2 kids! to me this is poor, having to struggle every single day!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

When it's a week before payday and I'm hoping I can make it without needing to buy food, medication, gas, or have to take my kids to the doctor because I have $20 in the bank and a charge for $40 of gas that hasn't cleared yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)