Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (251-260):
SparklingHope
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

this is true. 

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

How is 50k considered lower class? wow,  your doing good.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 48 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

How is 50k considered lower class? wow,  your doing good.

That's  a pretty low income to live off of in some parts of the country.  I know we couldn't live off that. Survive and struggle maybe, but not live off of it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 52 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
We will all be getting poorer very soon.. Prepare
ABeautifulQadar
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM
I see you're a tad bit sensitive tonight. You don't have to explain to me why you got those coats I'm sure you deserved them. And I never called you heartless obviously if you were heartless you wouldn't be willing to donate coats in your area. I just suggested something and you're not comfortable with it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Look, I realize that her story is true. But I can't guarantee that her story is true. I am not going to offer to buy a coat for a stranger, but before I responded to her I did a check of my area to see where I could donate new coats. I wondered if she had something like that in her area as well. I give up. You win. I am a heartless bitch. I will never apologise or admit to taking my "good fortune" for granted again. You have beaten me with your superior wonderfulness. I am a 'total asshole'. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go take my nighttime medication, clean the filters in my oxygen concentrator and clean out my nighttime breathing machine. If it's all the same to you, I'll whip myself later. There's a reason my dh treated me to those coats, not that you'd care.

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Umm...no but you sounded like a total asshole suggesting she go to a coat drive and then saying you just bought 2 jackets for $500.

Quoting Anonymous:

No, you're right. It was logical for you to assume that I would just continue to rest on my laurels rather than make an attempt to reach out to my own community even in a small way. Sorry :) 

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Why did that make you feel shittier? It was a suggestion of something you could do to help her since you felt badly. There is also a group on here for moms in need.where we help each other out if we can. I sent a box of some barely used clothes and Jordans to a woman for.her son when she didn't have the money at the time and he went through a growth spurt. Sometimes you feel better knowing who it is going too instead of just donating it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, or I could do what I will do. Buy a couple of coats and take them to my local food bank. After reading the reply I looked in my area and my local food bank takes clothing donations. But thanks for trying to make me feel even shittier ABeautifulQuadar. You rock!!

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Or you could buy her a coat....

Quoting Anonymous:

Are there donation places in your area where you could get a new coat? Because your reply made me ashamed. I bought 2 new coats this year spending a total of $500 dollars. I am genuinely sick with anger at myself. I didn't realize how much I took for granted and I am so sorry. I hope things get better for you.

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pce68
by Patti on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I don't know of any places that do new coats for adults. most charities just do it for kids. But it's okay. My coat is not pretty or stylish, but it is warm, and that's all that matters. I don't have to have a new coat. I don't care what my coat looks like, as long as it keeps me warm.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are there donation places in your area where you could get a new coat? Because your reply made me ashamed. I bought 2 new coats this year spending a total of $500 dollars. I am genuinely sick with anger at myself. I didn't realize how much I took for granted and I am so sorry. I hope things get better for you.

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM

there is a difference between being poor and poverty.  we are lucky enough to live without pa.  But we do have help from family paying our bills sumtimes.  having internet and cellphones are luxaries but sometimes nessacery.  I do know what it's like though to struggle to feed my child lunch when there's nothing to send for their lunch and can't scrape together .50 so they can get a pb&j sandwich and milk.

but things could be worse.

pce68
by Patti on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I am not asking her or anyone else to buy me a coat. My coat is fine. It is probably 25 years old, but it keeps me warm. It is not trendy or stylish, but it doesn't have holes in it or anything. There is no reason for me to spend money on another coat if this one works fine. I was just saying that as an example. I wasn't asking for charity. And I know well enough that just because she has a nice coat doesn't necessarily mean she has money to burn on someone else.

Quoting ABeautifulQadar:

Or you could buy her a coat....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pce68:

pce68
by Patti on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM

People should go spend some time in a homeless shelter and hear some people's stories. They will see plenty of poverty. Go to some areas of the country and there are people with no electricity or running water. We don't think of that when we think of America but it exists. In your very neighborhood, or nearby, there may be people living under bridges, or in back alleys, or families living in their cars. I have seen families of 6 living in a 1 room motel room bc they had been evicted, eating food out of the can bc they had no money and no way to heat it up. Poverty does exist here. Yes, it is not the same as in third world countries, but it is still poverty.

Quoting kitchen.ninja:

I have to disagree after seeing skid row in downtown LA.

Just because there are other countries where people have it much worse does not mean people in Anerica cannot be poor or live in poverty.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 51 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

computers and phones are sometimes necessities   like if you work from home to try to provide for your family and don't have a car to drive or cant pay for gas or public transportation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)