Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (291-300):
Christine9576
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM
When I can't afford my rent, then I'll be poor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

That's me.....dh lost his job and we are supporting 5 kids on $1600 a month. Dh has been looking for work but he hasn't had any luck. We don't qualify for pa but we can't afford our basic needs each month. We rotate bills just to keep water/heat and power on. Why don't we qualify for PA? Because we are a blended family and so they count my family as me and my kids and his as him and his kids. We don't have credit cards, cable etc we just live month to month trying to keep our utilities on and a roof over our head. I got to food shelves to help put food on the table even standing in the freezing cold ( below zero temps) to get a little something. So yes I think we are poor. I know there are people worse then us but for us this is hard. Right now I'm just hoping I have enough money to get my 14 year old new shoes since his have holes and he has out grown them. But I feel it can only get better right???

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 57 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM
My bf thinks were poor bc we have trouble paying everything on time but nothing ever gets cut off.untill his child support got raised we were doing great but I think we're not doing to bad.although I am 5 months prego and its about to get really hard will all of the things we need to buy!!!
supercarp
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The US government has a specific definition of poor. I think a person feels poor before they hit that, though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 58 on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM

According to posts I read here...Majority of mc.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:16 PM

If you need help feeding your kids, paying your rent, or utilities then you are poor. the problem in our country is that many people refuse to live with out luxuries such as cable,cell phones, or the Internet and as a result think they need that extra money.

Photo: -Randi.Photo

NICHOLE87
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I agree

Quoting LucyHarper:

If you can't afford basic needs of human survival, food, water, shelter, and very basic clothing, while living without any sort of extras.

elliotmommytobe
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Families in3rd world countries who dont have food or water

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

If you are able to pay for your family's health care, food, housing, utilities, childcare, transportation, etc., all on your own without struggling, then I think you are comfortable. If you rely on help to provide for your family then you are poor.

-_-
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN