Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (11-20):
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I think poor is having more bills than you do income for an extended amount of time.  That's a quick way to go from broke to poor.

LiesLiesLies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Poor is a relative term. In my opinion Americans don't have any idea what poor is.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I assure you, I and many others do.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

kitchen.ninja
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I have to disagree after seeing skid row in downtown LA.

Just because there are other countries where people have it much worse does not mean people in Anerica cannot be poor or live in poverty.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a play room for my kid... But I'm considered lower class, we make less than $50k a year.
We have a car and a truck, newer models, we rent our house. We have one soon, no pets, and we can Afford to do fun things in the area that cost money like water parks, zoo, sea world, and take three vacations a year. All this on way less than $50k a year!
LittlePiggies5
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM
living paycheck to paycheck, only paying for necessities.
Luna091306
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM

This.

Quoting skmehlebam:

Unable to meet basic needs. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

sweetmomma326
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
2 moms liked this

Poor is when you have no food, no home, and no education.  The poor kids in Africa and South America that we see on tv, they are poor.  Americans are just so selfish that they seem to think if they can't buy top notch shit that they are poor.

spicy_n_sweet
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
3 moms liked this

Poor-impoverished:  having absolutely no food, shelter..having no ability what so ever to provide those things for yourself...living without basics such as electricity and running water.. And having no means or way to provide those things for yourself or improve your situation.

No. I do not know any poor people.  

There are very few truly poor people in this country. We have a social service system in place to keep as many people out of poverty as possible. The federal government has set an income level that they consider poverty/at-or near poverty.  The federal government provides subsidies to the people at or near that income level in order to keep them/their families from becoming impoverished.  The system is flawed, many take advantage, some fall through the cracks.  However that is what the system is for, to keep Americans from being poor/impoverished. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this
makes combine house hold income of 25k or less
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I whole heartedly agree! There is no welfare, wic and other handouts like this in most countries! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)