Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (141-150):
Farmlady09
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM

To me, poor is never being satisfied with what you have, always wanting more regardless of how much you have, and never being able to appreciate what you have.

I've seen people living in sheds, one room cabins, etc. that put healthy meals on the table and had happy people sitting around that table. I've seen people literally living in 4000 sq ft homes filled with 'stuff', gold faucets, a garage full of more stuff, and who had more stuff in a storage place that were miserable and griping about all the stuff they didn't have. That to me is 'poor'.

And, those who can't put a healthy meal on their tables or afford some sort of home would also be something I would consider as poor ~ unless the situation was because they choose to buy drugs or alcohol, or blow their money on stupid stuff instead of necessities ... in which case I consider them more stupid than poor.

1L2CMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM
If you don't have the resources to get out of the situation your in. That includes born into or bad life choices. If you "realistically" are not going to improve your situation, either because you don't have the money, the education, the support, the work ethic, the understanding of what you need, or you can't recognize that your stuck in the victim mentality, and you truly have no one else to blame but yourself.
I understand that most people are not going to get off of PA, or comprehend that they are not going to get a TV type CSI job with their for profit assosiate college degree. But the ones who do are just broke, not poor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizzyluvsmoe
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:59 PM

or a nanny for each child.

Quoting Supervane:

Someone who doesn't have a playroom for their kids!!! or a beach house!!! I mean come on those are just basics...

jk!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 33 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:01 PM

This exactly! This is us now, times are tough!

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

mommamaggi
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Poor... poor is having to choose between bills... poor is having to choose between food or medication... poor is worrying every day if you have enough food to feed your family, and will you tomorrow... poor is going to bed hungry because you fed your kids and there was none left over for you.

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Very true!  Heard a statistic the other day even the poorest 5% of our citizens are "richer" (or better off financially) than 70% of the remaining world citizens...

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

Syphon
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM

No food and no shelter.  I have never been close to poor but I have been to several 3rd world countries.  This country really does not know poor.

my4kids274
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM

LOL.

Quoting Supervane:

Someone who doesn't have a playroom for their kids!!! or a beach house!!! I mean come on those are just basics...

jk!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Poor is not being to feed or clothe yourself or your family. Pay your rent/mortgage and bills.
RoyalT26
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

If you use any type of public assistance

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN