Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Ladies what is your definition of poor or when do you know what you are poor?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Replies (151-160):
Drochmheas
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Agreed.

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

Very true!  Heard a statistic the other day even the poorest 5% of our citizens are "richer" (or better off financially) than 70% of the remaining world citizens...

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Americans don't have any idea what "poor" is.

aj2011
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor to me is when you have no shelter, no food & no clothing. Just because someone is on PA doesn't mean they are poor. They are struggling to make it in this world.

CafeMom Tickers
lucsch
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Poor is when you think about money and bills more than anything else in your life.

EmmaGlenn20
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

To me, it's when we can just afford bills and whatnot, there isn't anything leftover for wants.

That's just our definition. I realize it's a relative term and everyone views it differently. It depends in what country/community you live in.

In a BROAD sense, I suppose poor would mean you can't even afford basic necessities?

JNLmomme09
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Eating ketchup packets and showering in a Burger King bathroom
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
just_hc
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If you make less that this you are poor by definition.

2012 Annual Federal Poverty Guidelines

48 Contiguous States and DC

Household size

100%

133%

150%

200% 

300%

400% 

$11,170

$14,856

$16,755

$22,340

$33,510

$44,680

For each additional person, add

$3,960

$5,267

$5,940

$7,920

$11,880

$15,840

momto2crazykids
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM

where can you sell your things and get enough money for gas and food? this i would like to know, also if you cut your cable, cell, internet, etc you are stuck paying a hefty fee for early disconnection so sorry but its not that simple as "where there is a will, there is a way"

Quoting Momof2sillygrls:

Can always sell the ipad and make 300 dollarsfor gas, food, and i love how people say net and phone comes with their apartments, there are no apartments that offer that and IF they magically did it's worked into the rent somehow making the rent a tad more for a place who didn't have it. Like I said before:  the way I look at it things can always be sold to make a quick buck, as well as things cut like cable, net, go prepaid plan for cell, etc. When I was poor I sold all my stuff except my bed and my dd's and her few toys so I could make money to eat, I didnt have computer or tv much less cable or net, I had a perpaid plan and didnt answer when people called so I could save my minutes instead I would call them back from a friends or family phone. I took clothes that my dd outgrew and sold them to consignment shop to have money for food or gas. Where there is a will there's away.

Quoting 1CopaceticMama:

LOL I knew a judger would step in. Yes, I do have Internet. I also have 3 ways to access CM. We have a computer, an iPad, and the local library. The computer was my husbands before we met. Its a dinosaur. The iPad I won from smartappsforkids.com. Our Internet and home phone came with the apartment.

Quoting Momof2sillygrls:

Yet both of you have the internet and a device such as a smartphone, laptop, ipad, or such to access the internet. 

Quoting 1CopaceticMama:

This is us too. My family is on a super tight budget. When we didn't get our FS this month is turned us upside down. I only eat a little bit of dinner and drink lots of water to keep going so my kids can eat. I have less than 1/4 tank of gas and a whole week before my husbands payday. The only place I drive is to the school and back since it is in the neg temps. Its too cold for my kids to walk. I'm hoping like hades we can make it to the next payday.

I hope you do too <3

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

mamavalor
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom told us when we were growing up how poor she and our father were when I was born.  They were living in a run down apartment in a drug infested neighborhood, where women could be heard being raped down the street.  She worked as a seamstress at a factory while my father worked the night shift as a cook at a restraunt.  She said she didn't apply for PA because she didn't know about them back in the early 70's.  She said for the first six months after being released from the hospital she would cry over her bread and grape jelly meals, asking God for guidance.  (They had to pay the hospital bill and for my post natal care.)  Luckily, they saved enough money and were given the chance to buy a house in a solid town where my sisters and I could grow up and have a better life.  I thank my parents every day.  And while PA is a wonderful opportunity for those who need it, my parents are prime examples of how one can still make it without PA.

jcm28
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM
When you have no job and living off of Pa.
MochaBerry24
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

those are some hard times ladies. Are there any free community resources you can access like coat drives, toy drives, food banks, free meals?

Quoting 1CopaceticMama:

This is us too. My family is on a super tight budget. When we didn't get our FS this month is turned us upside down. I only eat a little bit of dinner and drink lots of water to keep going so my kids can eat. I have less than 1/4 tank of gas and a whole week before my husbands payday. The only place I drive is to the school and back since it is in the neg temps. Its too cold for my kids to walk. I'm hoping like hades we can make it to the next payday.

I hope you do too <3

Quoting pce68:

My definition of poor is me, lol. Seriously most people on CM would consider me poor and the govt considers me poor but I have seen people a lot worse off than me. I guess  when you can't pay all of your bills each month, and I'm talking about necessary bills, not credit cards, and luxury car payments, and that sort of thing. When buying groceries is a struggle. When you need help to pay the rent or electricity. When you are counting out pennies to see if you can come up with enough to buy 3 gallons of gas. When you only have enough food for your kids so you do without. When you wear the same ugly coat that you have had for 20 years bc you can't afford to buy a new one.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN